If you had 1 million dollars what would you do with it?

12 posts / 0 new

Seriously, what would you do with it? One of my choice of actions would be to start a program to get everyone into gardening and make sure fruit trees are planted wherever possible and possibly community gardens as well. One of my reasons for this would be because good healthy food is becoming too expensive for the average person!

WhiteShoePrincess's picture
WhiteShoePrincess

Comments

Invest in my own education, and the education of my children, and neighbors, to improve our lives.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Hope I got it thru capital gains and paid 15% tax instead of winning the lottery and paying 35%! Why is it when a rich person speculates on artwork, stocks, RE etc and makes a profit, he only pays 15% while Joe average speculates on the lottery and pays 35%. Lottery winners need better lobbyists I guess.

lovecraft

That sounds like a good idea! I think education should really be made free or cheap for everyone though.

WhiteShoePrincess

That or the capital gains tax should be raised to 35%.

WhiteShoePrincess

Give it to the government as they would know how to spend it better then me.

WorkerBee's picture
WorkerBee

But look at how much money endless war has costed! You would fund more endless war? Not only does it equal wasteful spending, it causes needless suffering and deaths of people who didn't do anything wrong in the first place including children at times! Why hasn't Obama shut down all of the US army bases around the world and brought them all home? Why are so many veterans ending up homeless on the streets?

http://costofwar.com/en/

WhiteShoePrincess

I would give it to Calperson. He's the kindest most generous loving person on this board.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

1. Payoff all my and my wife's student debts.

2. Actually start a substantial retirement account.

3. Start a education fund for my kids.

4. Get my mother some medical care she needs but can't afford.

5. Pay back a relative who has sent us money periodically over the last 3 years so that we don't go broke.

6. Pay off my siblings' and parents' mortgages.

After taxes, it would probably be all gone at that point.

ah2

I would start a "public bank". With grassroots control of their money,that would be as if all the 99% won the lottery. A public bank can end poverty and bring peace to earth!

tayl44's picture
tayl44

I would invest And save all of it to improve my life so I would not have to work so hard.

workingman's picture
workingman

First I would do my part for the economy. I would quit my job and leave it for someone who actually needs a job. Then I would take my family on a vacation. A really nice vacation. I would pay off my house and set up my finances to make the mil last forever.

Then I would do a lot of charity and volunteer work. Give much more to my favorite causes. Maybe run for office. How does Governor Rigel sound?

I would convert my house to solar and purchase a high mileage hybrid car.

Finally, have you ever walked into a restaurant gotten terrific service and a smile from a hard working waitress/waiter? I would love to be able to rock their world by dropping a $200 tip.

All that is just a dream though, because most of that million would be seized by federal, state and local goverments. It would disapear into the abyss of spending. Never to be seen again. I could not accomplish my dream with the small portion that they allowed me to keep.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.