Let people get high!

17 posts / 0 new

So says the American people in a new Rasmussen poll that finds 56% of Americans support legalizing marijuana and regulating it like tobacco and alcohol. Only 36% of Americans were opposed to the idea. The number of Americans supporting marijuana legalization has jumped nearly ten-percent since a similar poll was conducted back in March.

This poll backs up a Gallup poll form last year showing that for this first time in American history more than half of the nation supports marijuana legalization. The Americans people are realizing that Nixon’s failed war on drugs has a lot to do with our economic and social problems today – from prison overcrowding to deficit inducing drug enforcement to violence on the Southern border. Let’s scrap it altogether and put in place some common sense drug laws.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

They don't seem to be actively stopping people from getting high. 56% doesn't explain why it continually fails at the polls.

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0

Too much profit is being made by law enforcement, sellers and growers to legalize it. Here in CA, the growers were uniting against legalization to keep their profits.

lovecraft

Why can the government regulate anything I willingly want to buy amd put in my body? Legalize everything!

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

The war on (some) drugs is a war against we the people and our RIGHT to pursue HAPPYNESS, OUR RIGHT TO PRIVACY and even worse, the RIGHT TO OWN OUR OWN BODIES!

Drug tests, random cop stops, random frisking, random arrests and seizers, warentless searches of our homes, persons and effects, the RIGHT to be INNOCENT BEFORE BEING PROVEN GUILTY! Now we are guilty "suspects" and locked up until we can PROVE OUR INNOCENSE!

THIS is what they are violating - The CONSTITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS!

Declaration of independance - in part and edited -.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all (PEOPLE) are (EVOLVED) equal, that they are endowed by their (EXISTANCE) with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

~Whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is right of the People to alter or to ABOLISH IT, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that humankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

~When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNEMENT AND TO PROVIDE NEW GUARDS FOR THEIR FUTURE SECURITY.

IT'S TIME!!

sheilach2's picture
sheilach2

As I remember there was an attempt in the late 1960's to legalize cannabis and the tobacco companies had retooled some machines and had copyrights to the brand names,but the liquor industry lobbied against this attempt and won.Also Portugal decrimalized all drugs and thier crime rate and the drug usage both dropped

gascogne's picture
gascogne

If rich white men had smoked pot instead of drinking, pot would be legal. Unfortunately, pot smoking was attributed to minorities and the rest is history and where we are illogically at now.

lovecraft

NoT true whites used cocaine morphine and opium yet it's not legal today your logic isflawed.

CollegeConservative

I'm afraid that legalizing it might increase traffic accidents, although I think Thom said something about it actually showed decreases in states with Medical marijuana laws.

But I was high once and I didnt notice that I went through a red light until a block or two after. Its not for me. I'm way too spaced out as it is and I need to be alert and preserve my memory for my business.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

Generally, it was the rich whites that preferred alcohol and the percption was that the mexicans and blacks were crazed reefer users. That was the propaganda campaign Hearst used in the 20's in his effort for marijuana prohibition. I'm sure minorities drank too but nobody was going to ban that again after prohibition. Cocaine would be legal if they started incarcerating rich white kids at the rate they do for minorities for drug possession.

lovecraft

You miss the point thinhs like cocaine and mOrphine where over the counter drugs in the 20s used widely whywhites if your logic of what everwhittles use more is legal was correct morphine and cocainewouldashrill be over the counter drugs.

CollegeConservative

CC, the clear record of Nixon's commission is that it recommended legalization and was rejected because of the political use of a law against the drug of choice of the opposition. Keeping pot illegal keeps a lot of lefties out of the political game where using would be a "scandal." Not drinking, of course. It lets the other side get busted and have to engage in undercover activities. It was about blacks and hippies, with latinos a bonus add-on. Pure hypocrisy.

I worry about "legalization" as the alternative to amnesia and "decriminalization." Legalization implies setting up a legal control system rather than ignoring it. I don't see anywhere the law can be all that useful even if we would agree that developing brains might need to be freer of drugs than those that have encrusted. Making weed an "adult" responsibility only tempts the counter-dependent to prove that they are not "children." Making it an unimportant and relatively neutral choice for those who have lives to live is the best way to handle it.

I am not a fan of the refined products of plants or whatever because they lead to a huge sensational experience more designed to test the ability to feel than to experience pleasure. How high one can get is not about how enlightened or aware when it is about the sensational and how much is done or where the limits are. Sensationalism is an obsession, not a pleasure that fits into a life. If drug use is defining your life, you need to do something about it. If it just fits in, how many cups of coffee really helps and when are you overdoing it?

The history of drug experimentation in the 19th Century and the ways that pharaceutical technology have commercialized the apocathery in the 20th do not fit well with a "drug-free America." Our soft drinks include the "real thing" in Coke and the lithium in 7-Up. Finding a delivery system for the magic chemical that could make workers alert and efficient on the assembly line was the grail. The idea that a nation of free citizens would choose to become addicted to sugar and bubbles with a cola flavor or that it would symbolize the American Dream defies all logic. But it happened.

Drugs are problematic in general. There is no question that the Prohibition Movement included many who saw the social effects of alcohol, not the moral failure of the drunk, as the issue. We pay a lot for legal alcohol and the expectation that free citizens are to use it responsibly. Geez, it's alcohol! Aside from crack and meth, this is the most dangerous substance i have heard described. It is the most dangerous substance I have ever abused. It is hard to abuse weed.

On the other hand, it is easy to test for weed.

drc2
Quote Erik300:I'm afraid that legalizing it might increase traffic accidents, although I think Thom said something about it actually showed decreases in states with Medical marijuana laws.
Laws should be written to do both preserve liberties for responsible adults, and protect the public. I did my share of pot in my hippie days but we were hardly responsible. We'd drive around because it was "safe" for us... I fear probably not for others. I'd like to see legalization WITH stricter DUI laws and against selling to minors.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote CollegeConservative:

You miss the point thinhs like cocaine and mOrphine where over the counter drugs in the 20s used widely whywhites if your logic of what everwhittles use more is legal was correct morphine and cocainewouldashrill be over the counter drugs.

What the hell are you babbling about CC? Are you on drugs now?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

My first post here!

One important issue that alot of people miss about this discussion is the continuing illegality of the non-psychoactive version of cannabis, commonly called hemp. Hemp could literally change agriculture here in the US, and go along way to solving several issues facing the country and the world. Common uses of hemp include food, building products, biodiesel, textiles...the list goes on. Hemp can grow about anywhere and needs little or no pesticides. Hemp remediates soil conditions and makes a perfect rotation crop. The history of the prohibition of hemp is a sordid tale with players such as William Randolph Hearst, Harry J. Anslinger(the first Drug Czar) and the Rockefellers. There are alot of documentaries that one can watch online that gives a look at this amazing plant, and why it became and remains illegal.

xphile's picture
xphile

I'd also like to see the legalization of psychedelics... again for responsible adults with strict penalties for selling to minors or DUI. I can see a whole new industry of psychedlic resorts catering to people who want to "get away" for a weekend.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Thanks Thom...It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.❞ ~ Upton Sinclair, The Jungle ❝ Any fool can make a rule, and Every fool will follow it.❞ ~ Henry David Thoreau ❝ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.❞ (Who will police the police?) ~ Latin proverb, ❝ I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.❞ ~ Thomas Carlyle ❝ Jails and prisons are the complement of schools; so many less as you have of the latter, so many more you must have of the former.❞ ~ Horace Mann ❝ They can do anything we can't stop them from doing.❞ ~ Joseph Heller, Catch-22 They forbid marriage and inculcate abstinence from certain foods, though God created them to be enjoyed with thanksgiving by believers who have inward knowledge of the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected when it is taken with thanksgiving. -- 1Timothy 4:3-4

"Narcotics police are an enormous, corrupt international bureaucracy ... and now fund a coterie of researchers who provide them with 'scientific support' ... fanatics who distort the legitimate research of others. ...
-- William F. Buckley,
Commentary in The National Review, April 29, 1983, p. 495
Quote Erik300:I'm afraid that legalizing it might increase traffic accidents. But I was high once and I didnt notice that I went through a red light until a block or two after.

Gossip doesn't help. It only cast false shadows of doubt. You made the choice to drive, then you made the choice to drive after smoking. The reason I call you on it as BS is most don't get high on their first experience until it has been in your system. Secondly, experience, potency and condition at the time contributed to you running a red light. You are the best judge of your condition so being irresponsible is not the Ganja's doing. Ganja is toked by 25 million regular users in the US. Been that way for as long as I can remember. A few million less, a few more certain times, but generally about 150 million worldwide tokers. So all of these future hobgoblins if we legalize are crap.

Cannabis use and Driving Better driving skills at that...
Ass.Woman Torre' Drudged Driving Bill or Profit on Urine Stinks
The 'Virtues' of Ganja
The Politics of Pot

None of it is anything but perpetuating the Ganjawar. It's not like 25 million aren't productive citizens now. Same lame lies in the past future predictions that never come true when the past reaches the present. More potent now BS. Probably snitches or jocks without connections smoking schwag so I imagine todays pretty clean buds are more potent. But not generally, nothing much has changed. More potent, smoke less. Nothing has gotten me as high as what came out of Vietnam. Then Thai sticks and Hawaiian and Sinsemilla and Meschmacon, Gold, Panama Red, Pa coal-dope. Lots of good pot throughout the decades, not counting the governments patented super synthetics the CIA used.

The Counterculture Colonel

Bud Beats Merdenol for Pain

Then the dumb-asses repeat their gossip and reefer madness. A good hint is the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie

Prohibition is the danger in cannabis. No one can overdose if they tried. One simple reason to remove competition. Same as when Rockefeller Hearst removed the farmers ethanol. Same as when Dupont needed Hemp fiber out of the way of his new crude oil synthetic cellulose. Today it serves the Koch's private for profit prisons @ $72k/yr and the Califano rehabilitation asylums @ $4500/mo plus pisstastes. The NRA's mandatory minimum sentencing not only provides guaranteed profits long term. It deters those busted for pot from using their Constitutional rights of a trial by a jury of their peers. The judge won't permit a defendant to tell the jury they use it medicinally. If they lose the trial it is a mandatory minimum sentence. Not a surprise why 95% cop a plea bargain. That requires mandatory rehabilitation and whizquizzes. Forced rehabilitation for cannabis relief of disease symptoms is ludicrous to all but Califano rehabilitation asylums profits. This forced increase in rehab totally represents the reefer madness that " more users are seeking treatment due to the higher potency" crapola. Go to the ER for a broken finger and if you say you have ever used pot it becomes a DAWN statistic for the drug czar to show more hospital visits due to the highly potent not your granny's pot. All flim flam bait and switch flat out fibs and coersion. To stop no one who really wants it. Same with the tax/tax shelter paid liars in the DARE/PDFA groups. Cops bloated budgets and mostly keeping Hemp from the fossil fools market. Its a sham, it makes a few big bucks while 20 million Americans have been criminalized and one trillion dollars has been wasted just on cannabis possessors. inhaling or not. Not wasted if you're receiving part of it. Stop the lies and gossip!

"The anti-marijuana campaign is a cancerous tissue of lies, undermining law enforcement, aggravating the drug problem, depriving the sick of needed help, and suckering well-intentioned conservatives and countless frightened parents.
~ William F. Buckley, Jr. Requiescat In Pace
Commentary in The National Review, April 29, 1983, p. 495
Quote CollegeConChick:NoT true whites used cocaine morphine and opium yet it's not legal today your logic isflawed.

Put the bottle o booze down dear. Cocaine, Speed and Morphine are legal, schedule#2 drugs while non psychoactive Hemp burlap is a schedule#1 narcotic the same as crack and pcp. It makes up most of the DEA eradications, numbers they justify bigger budgets to saved the kidlets with. BS!

Coca, Bolivia, and Law 1008
Coca leaves have been consumed and used for thousands of years in Bolivia for medicinal and religious purposes. Today, coca is primarily “consumed orally,” in a manner similar to chewing tobacco, but it is also used to make tea and in indigenous ceremonies.

Jeremiah was a Pope, he was good friend of mine. I never understood a single word he said but I helped him drink his wine. He always had some mighty fine wine. Sing it Joy to the World....

A Word From Our Sponsor...
His Holiness The Pope enjoyed the invigorating properties of coca wine. Leo XIII carried a personal hipflask to fortify himself in time of need. A grateful Pope awarded a Vatican gold medal to its distinguised orginator, the Corsican-born pharmacist and businessman Angelo Mariani. Mariani had a keen eye for the benefits of celebrity-endorsement.

The Heroin Challenge
Organic aid for cocaine addiction
Mama Coca wants Colombia's fumigation to end
Remember Tulia? Race, Cocaine, and Corruption
cocaine toothache drops.jpg

Heroin is legal in Europe due to its ability to reach pain 80 times faster than the depressant morphine. Nixon lied, get over it. That's what it has always been based on and no amount of time or profits on prohibition will change that original lie. No good fruit can ever come from a tree with poisoned roots. Nixon lied for the same Oil Companies and Chemical poison Corporations and Booze, Meat, chemical cotton and Duponts fossil fool fiber. Still keeping renewable energy off the market. Food, fuel, fiber and FARMaceuticals is why it's illegal. Koch Bros private prisons with half non violent drug offenders plus food, clothing and health care @$72k/yr tax aid. Cannabis has been used thousands of years safely without insodent and to blindly disregard History and Science for a profit on something so devestating to the American people. I think GHQ Boosh was right...

“If the people knew what we had done,
they would chase us down the street and lynch us.”
~ George H.W. Bush to journalist Sarah McClendon
Quote CollegeConservative:You miss the point thinhs like cocaine and mOrphine where over the counter drugs in the 20s used widely whywhites if your logic of what everwhittles use more is legal was correct morphine and cocainewouldashrill be over the counter drugs.

Damn lushes... thinhs, everwhittles, cocainewouldashrill, whywhites? If you don't respect us enough to take your time and post non-troll replies, try spelling something outside of Texas English. As it is I'd say find a friend or dog. You are in dire need of a hug. Forget your DARE BS honey, it is a means to an end and nothing more. The end is perpetuating profits on any police action, cold, warm or sizzling hot. As long as it isn't a Congressionally sanctioned "war". No profits in that. Illegal to profit like Prescott Boosh getting busted for trading with the Nazi's in 1942. While the US troops were there. But then Wallmart shoppers buy Chinese plastic made from Iraqi and Iranian crude oil. Donating to Sadamn's war chest. Now you help the Iatola build nukes. GOPerverted Patriotism. Only Neocon teabog ditto dung worrier's universe revolves around the flat earth.

They don't care if it rains or freezes, long as they've got their plastic Geeeeezus, glued to the dashboard of the car... They don't need no History, Science or the Laws of Physics, Cyphering past 10 with their shoes off. A hint was Billy Bob Bennett double role as Drug Czar/Education Secretary. Removing the word "Hemp" from school books because it was confusing the kiddies. Lost 8 million dollars in slot machines on books he wrote about Virtues. But most think it was the never ending bottom less pit of the ONDCP. Outside of the budget is forfeitures, auctions, confiscations and cold cash, drugs for re-sale, funding Iran Contra's, Panamanian murders, Honduran massacres or El Salvadorian genocide. 48,000 killed in Mexico. How many civilians in Iraq over Oil we don't need. Now drilling the wilderness, making roads to the wells. Like mountaintop removal killing forests, streams and wild life GOPerverts shoot from copters.

On the Larry King Show in late 1989, then drug czar William Bennett, a possible Republican presidential candidate in 2000, said he had no moral problems with beheading drug dealers -only legal ones.

That was the Education Sec and this the daddy of DARE... Also the guy who restructured the police into a military unit trained to kill and kick down doors is also the guy who teaches the kiddies about drugs. His advise is to take them outside and shoot them. Isn't that speeeeecial!

DAREyl SWAT Gates LAPDog Perversions
SWAT (special weapons and tactics)
The first SWAT team was established by inspector Daryl Gates in the Los Angeles Police Department in 1968.
Drug Abuse Resistance Education, better known as DARE,
Founded by Daryl F. Gates in 1983.
“Casual drug users should be taken out and shot.”
– Daryl DARE Gates – Former LAPD Chief

Time to rethink a lot of things and stop this crap about clean air being communist. Hemp can fix what humans broke. Nothing else as versatile, nothing else as easy to grow almost anywhere, especially on hills preventing mudslides or falling onto freeways. Drilling requires roads and more crude oil for the rigs and piping and truckers bringing it. Leaking crud along the way, the same as tankers leaking 15,000 gallons in the oceans, for crude oil we never should have used in the first place. Diesel invented his engine to run on peanut oil. Biodiesel is being used now. Biomass was taken from the farmers behind Al Capon headlines. Same as Hemp and medicinal cannabis was lumped into the CSA after the Marihuana Tax Ax was overturned as Un-Constitutional to our 5th amendment rights. Less than what Nixon's lie did, rejecting his own republican Shafer Commission's repeat research of past studies, again finding it safe, not addictive and not a health menace psychologically or physically. The entire negativity surrounding cannabis is Political not Science. That lie keeps repeating the same gossip and the same few cheerleaders keep it going. Killing kids in the process. Ruining lives more than Ganja toking could ever do.

The Scythians High Plains Drifters 500 BC ... Perhaps the first Vaporists. Placing buds onto hot rocks in a cauldron. Then taken into a type of sweat lodge domed tent to bath in the smoke.

At this time we should hold the drug czar dung worrier maggots responsible for their fascism perpetuating a lie on American citizens. Preventing cancer treatments and potential cures. Making us all sick on their dioxins and fake sugar from Monsanto's saccharin to their aspartame. Behind closed door OPEC oil deals when our own farmers could grow our fuel needs. Along with the ridiculousness of homelessness and unthinkable hungry Americans. Hemp seed is the most nutritionally complete food on the planet and its stocks could make houses cheap enough to cure this embarrassment of citizens living on the streets. Or without health care from the garden, preventing these asthmatic profits of the greedy international corporatists. Its all within the laws of physics. Tensile strength of Hemp is greater than trees. 90 million pounds of poison on cotton aborts babies in the bible belt and they still follow Calvina's lies over their own children's health. Are we so gullible we can't see when someone is ripping us off? They frickin outlawed medicinal research!!! That speaks volumes in itself and who is even batting an eyelash? Duh! Wake the hell up!

Cannabis Shrinks Tumors: Government Knew in 74
The ominous part is that this isn't the first time scientists have discovered that THC shrinks tumors. In 1974 researchers at the Medical College of Virginia, who had been funded by the National Institute of Health to find evidence that marijuana damages the immune system, found instead that THC slowed the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice -- lung and breast cancer, and a virus-induced leukemia. The DEA quickly shut down the Virginia study and all further cannabis/tumor research,

Ganja Myths, Ganja Facts
Marijuana, an ancient drug, is a product of Cannabis sativa, a plant long used to provide fiber, an edible seed, an edible oil and a medicine, as well as a psychoactive drug. Marijuana has been known in China, India and the Middle East as a medicine for thousands of years. In Western countries it was used as an appetite stimulant, muscle relaxant, painkiller, sedative and anti-convulsant for decades. Then, in 1937, the Marihuana Tax Act was enacted in order to discourage what was considered dangerous recreational use. The law stopped medical and food use as well... I suggest you check out a great new book called "Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts" by Lynn Zimmer, Ph.D. (a distinguished sociologist) and John P. Morgan, M.D. (a pharmacologist) (The Lindesmith Center, 1997). The authors started with a list of common perceptions -- and misperceptions --

Lester Grinspoon

People have a right to get stoned. They have a right to think and explore their own minds. This is as intimate a part of their being as their sexuality. Any culture which mitigates that is clearly afraid of a full and fair and open dialogue about what reality is and what real human values ought to be. ... I should mention that DMT is an endogenous neurotransmitter. Yes, DMT, the most powerful of the hallucinogens occurs in the human brain as a normal part of metabolism. It also is a Schedule I drug, so you're all holding and this might be the basis for some kind of case. To just show what absolute poppycock all this nonsense is: People Have Been Made Illegal!"
~ The Non-Ordinary Conhibition Rhetoric of Terence McKenna

Dr. Andrew Weil of the University of Arizona College of Medicine states, "There is not a shred of hope from history or from cross-culture studies to suggest that human beings can live without psychoactive substances." Bees drop to the ground after having nectar from certain orchards. Birds get drunk off berries and then fly into windows. After cats sniff certain plants they swing at imaginary objects. Certain range weeds will make cows shake, twitch, and stumble back for more. Elephants purposely get drunk on fermented fruits..."

DdC's picture
DdC

Currently Chatting

Time for America to dump "homeland"...

It’s time to do away with the word “homeland." As the situation with ISIS continues to escalate, and as worries about terrorist attacks on American soil continue to spread, we’re hearing the term “homeland” mentioned more and more.