May 4, 1970

7 posts / 0 new

http://www.thegic.org/video/crosby-stills-nash-young-ohio-1970#ixzz1tuPRBGe6

bamboo's picture
bamboo

Comments

I touched down at Travis two days later on my way to be processed out. I felt like I'd come back to a completely different planet. I guess in a lot of ways it was if you understand Samsara and the feeling of suddenly being unbound.

.ren's picture
.ren

Just found this old post. May 4th, 1970. I was senior in HS working on another anti-war protest, this one about Nixon's illegal invasion of Cambodia. When the news filtered through the school I thought this was the end. Nixon and the forces had decided to crush the antiwar movement through force. Some friend and I skipped school a day or two and drove up to the local state university. I believe the student strike had begun and the school was essentially shut down. The student union was abuzz with activity. In one room full of phones, information was being exchanged and activities were being coordinated with other colleges and universities. It was an amazing place to be. But in retrospect so primitive.

If not the Kent State killings... then the Jackson State killings and Nixon's COINTELPRO blunted the anti-war movement arguably until May Day 1971.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Republican family members said 'They had it coming to them', like Trayvon. The primitive tribes do not evolve.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

Republican family members said 'They had it coming to them', like Trayvon. The primitive tribes do not evolve.

Reliving those days is painful. There will always be perhaps 20% of the population that will back up authority no matter what it does... or as we saw after Watergate will back a sitting president regardless of his crimes. So given some of the dead were not involved in the demonstrations... they had it coming too?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

For those of us who were awake and seeing this nation and what it could really do to its "we the people" speaking out against the first serious effort at creating an outright Imperial presidency, we got out in the streets even more, eventually resulting in the last not completely bought and paid for Congress acting back, putting in place FISA.

My, how things had already progressed to what is coming down hard now. We acted out then, and we got...

Four dead in O-HI-O

Four dead in O-HI-O

Four dead in O-HI-O

Wonder what we'll get if we act out now.

From Bamboo's link:

In The Ends of Power, Haldeman (1978) states that the shootings at Kent State began the slide into Watergate, eventually destroying the Nixon administration. Beyond the direct effects of the May 4th, the shootings have certainly come to symbolize the deep political and social divisions that so sharply divided the country during the Vietnam War era.

Read more: The Global Illumination Council: Empowering The Human Experience

The "ends of power" has a very different meaning from the "end of power." While the Imperial presidency was struggling with Congress, the blueprint set out by the Powell Memo was working behind the scenes in the private tyrannies of the economic sector, and it produced one of the first marketing successes in a corporate president -- a second rate actor who finally found his starring role in 1980. During his presidency the ultra conservative Unitary Executive Theory came out, and a brand new anti liberal legal society was formed. The Federalist Society grew rapidly, it now has chapters in all the top law schools, with more than ten thousand student members, and a powerful presence in the teaching of its version of law.

Excerpts from Arthur Schlesinger's prophetic 1973 The Imperial Presidency:

The weight of messianic globalism was indeed proving too much for the American Constitution. If this policy were vital to American survival, then a way would have to be found to make it constitutional; perhaps the Constitution itself would have to be revised. In fact, the policy of indiscriminate global intervention, far from strengthening American security, seemed rather to weaken it by involving the United States in remote, costly and mysterious wars, fought in ways that shamed the nation before the world and, even when thus fought, demonstrating only the inability of the most powerful nation on earth to subdue bands of guerrillas in black pajamas. When the grandiose policy did not promote national security and could not succeed in its own terms, would it not be better to pursue policies that did not deform and disable the Constitution? (p.299)

------------->

Secrecy appeals to leaders of nation that value openness and accountability. The power to withhold, leak and lie about information seems fleeting when the information is publicly revealed. ‘If you only know what we know’ remarks are temping for officials.[63] The power to withhold and leak leads to the power to lie. Examples of this were found in President Eisenhower CIA actions, President Kennedy’s Bay of Pigs and Vietnam actions, President Johnson’s Vietnam operations, and President Nixon’s Cambodia bombing.[64] Between 1965 and 1975, the number of US citizens that believed their government was lying had greatly increased due to the government’s secrecy system. (pp.358-359)

Perhaps the US would have benefited from leaks about the CIA in the fifties, the Bay of Pigs operation, war crimes in Vietnam, and wars in Laos and Cambodia by avoiding these disasters. (p.362)

The revolutionary transformation to the plebiscitary Presidency is a Presidency that is accountable only during elections or impeachment rather than daily to the Congress, the press and the public. Plebiscitary democracy is defined as where a leader is elected but once elected has almost all of the power. The plebiscitary President would govern by decrees such as executive orders. (p.377)

See Bush's Plebiscitary Presidency by Barney Frank, August 30, 2006

As Barney said of the Bush Presidency:

What we have is an Administration that is radically trying to change the nature of our democracy. They want to simplify it, they want to neaten it. Democracy is not good when it is neat, certainly not in a country as vast as this one. No single individual, no matter how popular, can embody all of the wisdom and all of the values of the country.

We needed to stop that trend then. There was a push to impeach. But Barney and the rest of us were already working against a powerful current:

"Impeachment is off the Table" -- Nancy Pelosi

Then everyone exhaled a great big sigh of relief when Obama was elected in 2008.

And now the corporatocracy, otherwise known as the marriage of the private and public into a fascismo, is tracking down Snowden and anyone else who wants to tell we the people through our Fourth Estate what the Imperial Presidency is up to. And we have a surveillance state in place that Orwell couldn't imagine in 1948, when he published 1984.

.ren's picture
.ren

arthur-schlesinger-jr is a great historian and biographer. The link is for some of his work back to '63.

celebrating-mencken is one example.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.