More than 20,000 birds have already died in the Lower Kalamath National Wildlife Refuge! Please take action here!

6 posts / 0 new

Dear Friend,

Tens of thousands of birds are dying in the Pacific Northwest. Please read the alert below from the National Audubon Society, and join me in taking action by sending an email to the Secretary of the Interior.

AUDUBON ACTION ALERT
More than 20,000 birds have already died in the Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge (located on the Oregon-California border) as water levels reach dangerously low levels. The Refuge is widely considered the most important habitat for migratory waterfowl in the Lower 48, and yet the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation has failed to provide adequate water to support the millions of birds arriving for spring migration. With more than two million birds forced to bunch together in the remaining wetlands, an outbreak of avian cholera has caused the massive die-off.

***Take Action***
Please send an email to Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar. Ask him to direct the Bureau to send more water to the Refuge to avert a major disaster for birds:
www.audubonaction.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=1275

The Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge is a national treasure. It was the nation's first waterfowl refuge when it was established in 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt. And its importance has never waned. Approximately 40 percent of the migratory waterfowl in the Pacific Flyway depend on this Refuge during spring and fall migrations. It hosts the largest concentration of wintering Bald Eagles south of Canada and harbors more than 80 species that are listed as sensitive, threatened or endangered.

***Take Action***
We need to demonstrate overwhelming public support for helping the millions of birds that depend on a healthy Klamath Basin. Please send your email today:
www.audubonaction.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=1275

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Dang computers !

Here's an update for the link to the National Audubon Society page from MrsBJLee's post above :

https://secure3.convio.net/nasaud/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1275

miksilvr

Done, thanks for posting. I hope more people use this site for activism, I think Thom and crew would approve. Sometimes I post things from the Environmental Protection and Information Center (EPIC) which does work in the same region.

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

Chemtrail Awareness Day - Mount Shasta, CA

Please do not watch the following videos. You will never see the subject matter broadcast on mainstream television, read about it in mainstream newspapers, or hear anything about it from our politicians, therefore it is entirely invalid and irrelevant. Thank you.

Chemtrail Awareness Day - Mount Shasta, CA

Shasta County Chemtrail/Geo-Engineering Contamination Cover-Up

ABCee's picture
ABCee

Here is a link i received in an email today with an announcement from David Yarnold of Audobon Action on this topic. Sometimes petitions do appear to do some good ... let's see if this is a short term change, or whether the water supply stays on :

GOOD NEWS UPDATE! Water Flowing Now for the Birds in Pacific Northwest

http://www.audubonaction.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=20541.0&printer_friendly=1

miksilvr

YES INDEED SOMETIMES WE WIN!!!

I was just going to post his message and I noticed a reply on this one. I am going to post a new message so hopefully readers will get more involved in taking simple actions like signing electronic petitions. If they can see that we have some victories they may join in and help when they are asked. Thank you for posting the link. I am going to now post what came in my email.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

Keystone would be way worse than we thought!

We already know that the Keystone XL pipeline is a disaster waiting to happen. But, it turns out that the impact of that tar sands pipeline could be even worse than we thought. According to a new study by the Stockholm Environmental Institute, Keystone could add four times more carbon pollution to our atmosphere than the State Department originally estimated.