Mormonism

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
lordsummerisle
lordsummerisle's picture

Can anybody recommend a good book on the history of the Mormon church?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
The Book Of Mormon?

The Book Of Mormon?

passnthru2
here is a selection.. cheap

here is a selection.. cheap used http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_6?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=mormon&sprefix=mormon%2Caps%2C230

Google.. Mormonism cult , if you want to avoid the church's propaganda, at the bottom of the page will be other search options. 

i keep hearing they say one thing to get you in then the dogma changes.  i am sure there are all kinds. Sunday Mormons, Mormons by word only.. but i lived right near Utah.. i must say i never ran into any more boring conversations. John Stewart did a thing on them collecting obituary's of Jews from all over and then baptizing the dead Jews in absentia in the temple, to make them Mormons. sorta pissed off the Jewish community. that i have to say was beyond weird.. it was.... "High Strangness" 

CollegeConservative
CollegeConservative's picture
ok so we cant talk about

ok so we cant talk about obamas church but Mormonism's fair game?

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
CollegeConservative wrote: ok

CollegeConservative wrote:

Still haven't learned yet that sentences begin with capital letters? Time to get you money back from whatever "college" you claim to attend.

Gee... didn't we spend enough time on Obama's church back in '08? So when do we cast the light of day on that zany, pseudo-Christian cult called Mormonism? Of course I say that knowing that most of what we consider Christianity is zany and pseudo-Christian. After all… Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi and NEVER renounced his faith. It was Paul who stole Jesus from his Jewish heritage, merged it with older mystery religions, and created what we now consider Christianity. So I guess if that's now considered ok, then so is Joseph Smith's merging of Christianity and Masonic ritual into Mormonism. The real question remains... what does it say about the intellectual integrity of ANY person to just accept, without proof, their faith as gospel?

MEJ
MEJ's picture
Under The Banner of Heaven is

Under The Banner of Heaven is a good read.

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
CollegeConservative wrote: ok

CollegeConservative wrote:

Bring it on Einstein.  If this election devolves into a food fight between Romney's active role in Mormonism and Obama's not-so-active role in Black Liberation Theology, I'm afraid it won't work out too well for your team CC.

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
Pierpont wrote:So when do we

Pierpont wrote:
So when do we cast the light of day on that zany, pseudo-Christian cult called Mormonism? Of course I say that knowing that most of what we consider Christianity is zany and pseudo-Christian. After all… Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi and NEVER renounced his faith. It was Paul who stole Jesus from his Jewish heritage, merged it with older mystery religions, and created what we now consider Christianity. So I guess if that's now considered ok, then so is Joseph Smith's merging of Christianity and Masonic ritual into Mormonism. The real question remains... what does it say about the intellectual integrity of ANY person to just accept, without proof, their faith as gospel?
If Christian dogma is to be believed, our very souls are at stake if we don't do or believe the right things. With that much at stake, one might think once a person was old enough, they'd worry perhaps their elders didn't get it right, and had no monopoly on truth. Put another way, is one's failure to challenge their religious upbringing a sign of some inherent intellectual shortcoming?

Maybe we need to stop protecting religion and see it as just another form of irrationality. Religion seems to be driven by core human imperatives... one to believe in a hereafter where we'll be with our loved ones forever, that injustice in this world will be rectified in the next... and our delusions in our own infallibility... that the world does revolve around us our "truth" is more true than the other guy's. It's a toxic mix and sure to produce outcomes from passive acceptance of one's condition to militant determination to force one's "truth" on non-believers either for our own salvation or their own good.

drc2
CC, I really want to take you

CC, I really want to take you for an interested inquirer and conversationalist rather than a troll playing with liberals for sport.  I want to believe that you want to understand what is decent and not in this discussion of the religion of the politicians in this election.  Why is Mormonism an issue, and to whom?  What has been done to make "Black Liberation Theology" sound like a radical sectarian cousin to 'Islamic Terrorism' (sic)?  Who is leading what discussion and for what end?

First.  Mormonism is an issue for Evangelical Christians, not for liberals who believe in religious freedom and separation of church and state.  It is only an issue to them when the Mormon Church adopts a theocratic political agenda and violates that separation, along with the rest of the Religious Right.  How Romney's giving to his church funds political actions has relevance.  How he treats church authority in civil office is as well.

Were there no history of the abuse of Rev. Wright and the demonization of "Obama's Church," these questions about Romney and Mormonism would be acceptable and relevant.  As would his statements about defending "traditional" marriage. 

The Demonization of Rev.Wright and Black Liberation Theology deserves a separate line in our appreciation of why all this defensiveness about religious freedom on the Right is crap.  Chris Hedges turned me onto James Cone's THE CROSS AND THE LYNCHING TREE, and Cone reaffirmed by appreciation of Black Liberation Theology as the authentic Christian Gospel in America for all of us who share the brand Christian.  What Cone establishes is that White Christianity in America has never come to terms with the meaning of the cross of Jesus and has served as a prophalactic to conscience rather than as a light.  It has a serious connection to the support of the New Roman Empire by purported "biblical Christianity." 

The simple point is that Rev. Wright headed a very respectable, integrated Congregational Church in urban Chicago which addressed its mission to its neighborhood and did good service.  He preached with the integrity called for in Scripture and the enlightened intelligence and spirit of a "teaching elder" and pastor.  He is one of the few fellow clergy who makes me proud to be in his profession.  All those creeps who gather around the Right make me want to hide my ordination. 

What gets quoted is the "God will damn America" warning that ought to be at the heart of every introduction to "God Bless America."  Don't you be praying for God to intervene unless you are clean, or expect to be rubbed the wrong way at the very least.  You think Jesus is going to love our Rome better than he did his?  Wake up!  But, also a message grounded in transcending injustice and the false idols of this world.  How is this a message of hate?  Rev. Wright is guilty of preaching the Word in season and getting it correctly. 

When I compare him to the Hagees on the Right, it makes me want to puke that the Righties are what people see as Christian.  When the Right makes Mormonism an issue and demands that Romney toe their cultic lines, it also raises a subject of political relevance.  What if Romney is just acting like a real Conservative Rightie Cultist?  Does that make him a better choice than if he is honest about it?  If Obama is "tainted" by being around the real Gospel, which "stink" is worse for Romney?  Is he really joining the full blown culture war on Women, or just playing the part of a GOPimp candidate?  Why should we want to find out?

lovecraft
Here you go- Mormonism is the

Here you go- Mormonism is the Scientology of the 1800's.

drc2
Not really.  The history and

Not really.  The history and context of Mormonism actually shows a fairly Progressive and modest origins.  Jospeh Smith either created or transmitted a myth that tied together a lot of contemporary "ideas" before our history was informed by much fact.  Its appeal was that it gave real meaning to being out there on the edge of nowhere in upstate NY, far away from civilization and its authentication on the East Coast.  It put its believers at the center of history and the edge of progress.

Mormons suffered a lot of violence and repression from American Protestants who saw America as a cradle of Christian civilization in their own image.  American heresies were threats in the same way that both the feudalism of Catholicism and secular immorality like Greed would as well.  The issue of polygamy symbolized this much larger fear of a perversion of the "evolved religion" that made America's Providential Destiny possible. 

Compared to Scientology this is good stuff.  Elron's cult is totally narcissistic, more like the Ayn Rand Objectivist ME FIRST contempt for others.  A spiritual MENSA of superior beings in their own mind.  Mormons, by comparison, have a society as well as a religion.  Not being the Scientology of the 19th Century does not make them healthy, but it also keeps us from misunderstanding them.

lovecraft
I just made a broad

I just made a broad generalization as to the quackiness of the 2 religions.