N.C. Vote on Same Sex Marriage

17 posts / 0 new

61% vote against Same Sex Marriage, democracy in action.

Marlin60

Comments

Obama let his opinion known, big risk since country split 50/50 on topic.

Marlin60

A 61% vote against same sex marriage is hardly a 50/50 split. 31 states have voted (some by large majorities) amendments to ban same sex marriages.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

61% was the vote in N.C. yesterday, topic of post. 50/50 is nationwide poll. Two seperate things.

Marlin60

Look at the wide majority percentages of the 31 states that have passed same sex marriage bans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defense_of_marriage_amendments_to_U.S._state_constitutions_by_type

It appears to me that an overwhelming majority of voters do not support same sex unions.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

It is what it is. We'll see where it goes.

Art's picture
Art

Its a state issue not a federal issue so obama's support means next to nothing.

workingman's picture
workingman

I agree workingman. I coulld care less. It is not an issue for me either way. Was just siting some of the percentages in states that have already passed referendums or amendments on same sex unions.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote camaroman:

I agree workingman. I coulld care less. It is not an issue for me either way. Was just siting some of the percentages in states that have already passed referendums or amendments on same sex unions.

I have not made up my mind on the issue. I don't really have a problem with gays living a married life together. It's not my business. But what's next? If two people of the same sex can be married then why not three? Who's to say that three people can't be in love? Why should three people who are in love be forced to exclude somebody? It's a big ole bag of worms.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Not to mention the hypocrasy when bush passed DOMA liberals were up in arms saying it was a states issue but now that they cant win at the state level they ar ok with federal intervention really?

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

Equal protection is a Federal concern. Slowely, we're going to get dragged into the 21st century. It may take until the 22nd century, but I don't think so. The homophobic fossil generation may have to substantially die off, but we'll eventually get there. Just try talking to some young people. That's what's coming.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

Equal protection is a Federal concern. Slowely, we're going to get dragged into the 21st century. It may take until the 22nd century, but I don't think so. The homophobic fossil generation may have to substantially die off, but we'll eventually get there. Just try talking to some young people. That's what's coming.

Young people? Since when do we get our "wisdom" from young people?There are very few people under 25 who are not complete nit-wits.They know nothing of life and even less of government. In American Indian culture the tribes had a wise old man called the medicine man. There is a reason they did not have a medicine boy. Wisdom comes from the top down.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Nobody is talking about which generations are more wise. We don't necessarily get wisdom from the young. We do get our political future from the young. You don't have to like that.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

Nobody is talking about which generations are more wise. We don't necessarily get wisdom from the young. We do get our political future from the young. You don't have to like that.

Fair enough.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Youth gives us HOPE..... what a gift! Remember the HOPE you had in your 20's..... nothing was impossible and the world was full of possibility. I think that's what Art is getting at. The younger folks are less jaded by old outdated ideas and still question the opinions of their parents, which is a natural part of maturing. Think of the things your parents held firm attitudes on that you discarded. This is how people grow, mature and evolve as individuals.

Good point Art! Maybe Hope is what some of the more fervent posters have forgotten.

delete jan in iowa

As long as our failing education system continues to indoctrinates them on how to be politically correct rather than actually teaching them skills such as reading, writing, and mathmatics, our political future is doomed.

The federal government needs to get its slimey, greedy hands out of education. NCLB is a dismal failure.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Actually, the oligarchs' corporate bankers and lobbyists need to have their slimey, greedy hands taken out of our government. :)

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.