Obama's betrayal in Wisconsin

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Scappoose
Scappoose's picture

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/05/30/obamas-wisconsin-betrayal/

His refusal to use the bully pulpit and to dedicate serious funds to the recall election is a gross and egregious betrayal of the Democratic party and the Left in America.

Ok - a correction - it's a betrayal of the Democratic Party of old that represented Progressives and Labor over the interests of the .01%.

That Party is dead and has been replaced by the DLC big monied war machine interests.

It's basically a dereliction of Duty to We the People.

Whatever happened to 'put on a pair of comfortable shoes and walk a mile with the protesters'

Went the same way as his professed interest in renegotiating NAFTA. Let's remember that the Canadian representative said the Obama team told him don't worry we're just saying that for the election - we don't really want to do that.

The Obama team called the Canadian a liar - 4 years later and the reality is that it was the Obama team that was lying.

Accept the facts. And its not the 5 steps of loss but the 12 step Program that needs to be followed. The 5 steps of grief means you Already lost it. The 12 step program is a program to accept and deal with your difficulty on a Daily basis. And that's what Obama gives us - a daily dose of betrayal.

I know this doesn't play well on the Thom Hartmann board but it's the unvarnished truth.

Comments

Art
Art's picture
Quote:I know this doesn't

Quote:
I know this doesn't play well on the Thom Hartmann board but it's the unvarnished truth.
The strategy, of course, is that, if Democrats can be convinced enough that President Obama is just like Romney, then we will stay home, or maybe even vote Republican. 

Personally, the more of this junk I see, the more I want to give to the Obama campaign.

Art
Art's picture
Quote:Did you even read the

Quote:
Did you even read the article?
Of course not. I expect that people who come on these message boards and wish to promote an argument should be able to put together a clear, concise summary of their position. I'm not interested in what somebody at "Counterpunch" thinks. If I were, I would go to their website, myself. A worthwhile thought shouldn't rely on a copy-and-paste entry.

I didn't find your entry to be very interesting. 

Scappoose
Scappoose's picture
this has nothing to do with

this has nothing to do with Romney - stay focused! This is about Wisconsin where the rethugs and the koch bros are heavily funding the recall election - an election that will have a large effect on the 2012 election.

This is about Hoping Obama uses the bully pulpit for the dems in Wisconsin!

Call the truth Junk all you want but it doesn't change the Truth.

I bet not.

Keep up the hypocrisy. Supporting the same things you complained about for 8 long years but is now ok is the very definition of hypocrisy.

I guess when it comes down to supporting the democratic party or supporting the truth - the truth gets drowned out on this board -

Go ahead and call me a troll as dembots on this board love to do when faced with facts they don't like.

And just so you know I'm a Green Party member.

Thanks
Tracy

Scappoose
Scappoose's picture
Nothing was copied or psted

Nothing was copied or psted except the link.

Counterpunch is a leading website for progressives.

Look at it with derision and a closed mind all you want.

That's your loss.

.ren
.ren's picture
Quote: I know this doesn't

Quote:

It plays with some of us, scappoose, I've been criticizing what I anticipated from Obama since before he was nominated four years ago.  But the point Art's making is also valid. You should have been here with this kind of criticism four years ago, like I was.  I've taken him to the proverbial woodshed for what I consider to be far more egregious affronts.

In this reality, it doesn't matter right now how bought the Obama Administration might be by the monied corporatocracy, the choice within the system as it is right now is Obama or Romney -- if you plan on voting seriously for a President, that is.  Our system will not allow a third choice.  And who cares about the numerous knife points scarring our backs over the last four years other than that?  Obama is not great, but the far corporate monied right as Romney is clearly insane.

Let's talk about the corrupt system, not it's various money-selected parrots we only get to legitimize when we vote.  The political system itself is the problem. 

We are not going to have any effect on the system through the extremists on the right who have been deeply programmed to fear us and anything we say. Period. We may have some hope through various versions of non-DLC democratic representatives in the House and Senate. We can especially scare our House representatives because they are on a two year cycle.  Some of them even talk to us. 

But this is simply obvious: nobody not part of their cult can communicate with the extreme right in any form; they are more like Skynet cyborgs, for the most part, from some non existent future -- non existent because if they get their way we will all be dead soon along with many other creatures now alive in this biosphere and there will be no human future, .  They are inhuman by every measure.

The Presidency is owned, the Supreme Court is owned.  They keep working on Congress.  That's reality at the moment.  This election is only a distraction.  A spectacle as Chris Hedges calls it.  Making an issue of Obama's faults is irrelevant.

Scappoose
Scappoose's picture
Thanks but I'll continue to

Thanks but I'll continue to vote my conscience - and there are more than 2 candidates on the ballot -

In a democracy I get to vote for the person I most admire and respect.

I'd venture that if more people voted their conscience we wouldn't be in the trouble we are in.

And FYI - the story and link was about Wanting Obama and the Dem Party to get ACTIVE in the recall election as it will affect Obama's reelection campaign in Wisconsin and beyond.

Its actually a story about WHY Obama should donate to and actively support the Wisconsin recall.

.ren
.ren's picture
Scappoose wrote: Thanks but

Scappoose wrote:

Thanks but I'll continue to vote my conscience - and there are more than 2 candidates on the ballot -

In a democracy I get to vote for the person I most admire and respect.

I'd venture that if more people voted their conscience we wouldn't be in the trouble we are in.

And FYI - the story and link was about Wanting Obama and the Dem Party to get ACTIVE in the recall election as it will affect Obama's reelection campaign in Wisconsin and beyond.

Its actually a story about WHY Obama should donate to and actively support the Wisconsin recall.

Yes you do, and good for you.

I do have some questions about whether this is much of a democracy at this point.  But you do get the illusion you can vote for someone you respect.  They've managed that into it.

Like I said, only one candidate will be selected, most of the nation is hooked into corporate mass media, and it will be allowed to see only two choices.  What you and I do is irrelevant.  I didn't vote for Obama the last time, or the other guy and his insane choice as VP.  If we don't have instant runoff or some version then there will only be two choices for most people. That's reality.

I agree with the story. Counterpunch is one of my many bookmarks. But the story does also illustrate who owns the DLC, and therefore who owns the bully pulpit in this country, whether the parrot is from the DLC or the Republicans.

I don't know if a version of Eleanor behind this president would have made any difference, or if the intricate mob-like control behind these political positions is so far advanced that no form of an FDR speaking from a bully pulpit could have emerged. 

What I do know is it hasn't and Obama hasn't taken that opportunity that could easily have rallied this nation, an opportunity that has been there for all of these past three years and several months.  The systemic monied corruption in the current system is deep and wide.  Every pitiful step to do something about it gets countered at the Supreme court level.  That leaves us with Congress.  And Congress is pretty much deadlocked when it comes to doing anything progressive.  These criminal mob control principles now in place are ancient, and power knows how to use everything available to get what it wants.  Look at what's available, understand how it works.

Art
Art's picture
Quote:Did you even read the

Quote:

I bet not.

Did you even read my response?
Quote:
Of course not.
OK. I read the article.  What I read was a very far-ranging diatribe on why the counterpunch people are frustrated by Obama's lack of participation in the Wisconsin issue. Not much substance. Just a lot of grousing. 

I've heard a variety of explanations for why President Obama has not weighted in on Wisconsin. I've heard a variety of explanations for why he rolled over on the Bush tax cuts. I've heard a variety of explanations for why he as failed us on many issues. I've heard a variety of explanations for why he appointed the people he did. I am unimpressed by the flood of Mr.  Smartypants who seem to have it alll figured out. I don't have Ren's sophisticated and scholarly certainty of the dynamics that are at play. I don't share the childish black-and-white judgmentalism of the cry-babies that are so vocal at Thom Hartmann's. I'm still waiting for answers. I don't think I'm going to see them until we are into Obama's second term. 

My daydream is to be at the Democratic National Convention where Obama is officially nominated, surrounded by delegates who refuse to offer more than a polite applaud for his speech or to cheer his coming Presidency. He is more frightened of the money people than he is his own constituency. That's my assessment.

The only thing I am absolutely wedded to is the certainty that a Romney Presidency would be the end of America, and that any third party challenge would deliver the office to the Republicans. It is just that simple. The children on the left have the power to destoy America or give us at least a temporary reprieve. I have no patience with them.

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
Regardless of what you may

Regardless of what you may think of Obama, he is a skillful politician.  I'd say the tea leaves have told his people to stay out of Wisconsin.  He is back in Chicago today though ..... maybe he'll take a little trip north over the weekend?