Occupy Movement

16 posts / 0 new

May Day was a bust, just more destruction of property by the people who claim to be the 99% . It should be clear by this point that the true 99% don't support these useful idiots.

Marlin60

Comments

All I can say is attend an event. In most of them, you'll find some bad apples either attempting to discredit the movement (I think they are plants) or usurp peaceful change into violent change..The long-term poor are accustomed to being poor. The newly poor are not, and they are expressing a rising anger.

If neo-liberal governments don't stop de-legitimatizing themselves and begin addressing wrongs, the violent elements may prevail, not just here, but globally..

When I told a neighbor I was attending an Occupy event, he went into his bedroom and came out brandishing his new gun He told me he had his own way of dealing with bankers and billionaires when the time came. He isn't the first non-Occupier who has expressed those sentiments to me The newly poor who have moved into my neighborhood for lack of options don't like their new status in the underclass.

A few violent-leaning souls show up from time to time. in Denver They aren't welcomed. at Occupy events..

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Good post, poly. The oligarchs are frightened of OWS and other such truth to power movements. Their anti democratic, violence perpetuationg plants, whether implanted through propaganda or whatever, are everywhere. The idea that an individual can fix things with a gun is part of our American Dream mythology, in an odd sort of way. I'm thinking of John Wayne as a sort of analagous icon in that direction, but there are so many. They do get more than their share of attention.

.ren's picture
.ren

Many of the Occupy events resulted in property damage, interfering with commerce, rapes, murders, anti-semitism, and cost cities millions of dollars. Tea Party movement, none of the above. The left is the ones who use violence. You think they are plants, really? There must be alot of plants.

Marlin60

There are many ways to grow plants.

.ren's picture
.ren
Tea Party movement, none of the above
I think I know what that's all about. We've seen all the pictures and videos of the Tea Party rallies. The Occupy events have a carnival atmosphere and there are a lot of friendly, inviting people at them. A natural magnet for all kinds of people, civilized and juvenile. Contrast that with the angry, hostile and generally unattractive people we saw in the Tea Party - people that nobody would really want to hang out with and have fun.

Art's picture
Art

You find lice, shitting and urinating on the ground, drug use, property destruction to be a carnival? The only thing I see like are carnival all the masked people. The anger within the Occupy movement is much greater from what I've seen. How are peaceful Tea Party events hostile? Again, no arrests or property destruction.

Marlin60

If the Occupy movement consisted of shouting down congresspeople then it would be like the Tea Party. The Occupy movement is for debate and discourse and action. The left are the only ones who actually challenge the powers that be. The Tea Party would never have the guts to show up at a Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo, BofA, etc. meeting or a G8/20 or WTO meeting and actually risk anything in confrontation with the forces of injustice. They just show up to show off their guns any time they think their taxes might go up.

Art is right. The majority of Occupy people are there to create a welcoming environment for everybody. You don't see anybody doing anything artistic or intellectual at a Tea Party rally. The event in Oakland had exactly 0 piles of doo-doo by my tally. And there were no port-a-potties provided by the Kock Bros.

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

Was there not a dead body at Okland? I have seen many "mic checks" against politicians.

Marlin60

The wonderful thing about freedom of speech is that even the clueless can show up and spout their ignorance regarding political protests. Such protests have had a long and well documented history of being infiltrated by the criminal elite being protested. After all they are the "criminal elite" and will stop at nothing to hold their power. Someday a group of OWS protesters will do a citizen's arrest of some of the "anarchists" and attempt to find out who hired them. But the infiltrators are pros and probably prepared for such a situation. But in the 60's they were very amateur and hence stood out (often wearing cheap long hair wigs that made them obvious).

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote Marlin60:

Was there not a dead body at Okland? I have seen many "mic checks" against politicians.

Speaking of plants, what are you doing at a site giving the people that support the OWS movement the "Fox news" that it's "bad"? Of course, it's a no brainer. You think it's important that they know that. You aren't at Thom's trying to piss people off. Of course not.

When I lived in West Oakland back in the nineties, there were quite a few poor people killing poor people over drugs, prostitution and all sorts of things. Nothing pretty about being poor. Poverty hasn't diminished since then. Some people are actually concerned about that.

-------------------

Folks, these combative threads of this nature were known back in the newsgroup days as "trolls" where troll is a kind of verb, like what you might do when you fish. The more responses the more successful the troll. People that were good at it would brag about it like drunken fools at a fishing lodge. This process has been going on for years. It works.

.ren's picture
.ren

"Numerous tales about trolls are recorded. in which they are frequently described as being extremely old, very strong, but slow and dim-witted, and are at times described as man-eaters and as turning to stone upon contact with sunlight" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll

Trolls trolling bait to lure people in is quite a development. Didn't they used to be more direct and just pounce from behind a bush or something?

polycarp2

Great Norwegian movie called "Troll Hunter" is available on Netflix (and elsewhere). They are indeed characterized as dim-witted lummoxes. The trolls here are like mice caught by a cat and we're the cat just playin' with them.... before we finish them off. ;-)

captbebops's picture
captbebops

The violent "anarchists" in Seattle are not leftists. They are Republican thugs. Ask yourself this, why don't the thugs ever show up at Tea Party events? Some of them might even think they are like "anonymous", but who are their puppeteers? Who paid for them to get to Seattle?

Historically whenever the people come together, right-wingers, para-military, even cops show up and create chaos. We saw it in Egypt, in Syria, everywhere. Always ask yourself, "Who profits?" Do the people profit? Does this get more feet on the street? Of course not. Just as intended.

Take heart.

Tulku2's picture
Tulku2

You are completely spot on.

Tulku2's picture
Tulku2
Quote polycarp2:

"Numerous tales about trolls are recorded. in which they are frequently described as being extremely old, very strong, but slow and dim-witted, and are at times described as man-eaters and as turning to stone upon contact with sunlight" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll

Trolls trolling bait to lure people in is quite a development. Didn't they used to be more direct and just pounce from behind a bush or something?

Trolls set ambushes near bridges, or in swamps.

Lummoxes are large, North American, hairless gorillas.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Currently Chatting

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.