OHIO PASSES WORST FRACKING LAW IN THE ENTIRE U.S.A.-THERE WILL BE A PROTEST!

8 posts / 0 new
OHIO PASSES WORST FRACKING LAW IN THE ENTIRE U.S.A.-THERE WILL BE A PROTEST!

I don't live anywhere near Ohio but I came across this article I am posting below and wanted to share it with you all. If you live in Ohio you might want to check this out further and get involved in the protest in June.

On May 24, the Ohio’s State Assembly passed Senate Bill 315—one of the worst fracking laws in the nation—by a 21-8 vote in the Senate and a 73-19 vote in the Ohio House that approves new regulations governing hydraulic fracturing in the Utica and Marcellus shale formations running under nearly half of the state. The shale gas provisions are part of a larger energy bill that also addresses Ohio’s renewable energy portfolio standard.

The bill heading to Gov. Kasich’s desk fails to reinvest in Ohio communities, adequately protect Ohioans from the toxic impacts of the fracking industry and address the growing climate crisis.

SB 315 will allow health and safety loopholes. It requires the gas industry to pay less than almost any other state in the country, exposing our communities to the worst excesses of the fracking industry. Doctors will be prevented from talking openly about the sickness they see in their patients, and the gas industry will keep profits flowing out of our communities.

The rumblings you hear when this bill is signed is not the sound of another injection well caused earthquake—it’s the rumblings of a backlash against the politicians who have been bought by the gas industry and have chosen to sacrifice Ohio in return.

Those rumblings will become an uproar next month when we take over the streets and statehouse in Columbus to tell Gov. Kasich: Don’t Frack Ohio! at a rally on Sunday, June 17.

You can find the entire context of this article on the following link.

http://ecowatch.org/2012/ohio-passes-one-of-the-worst-fracking-laws-in-the-u-s/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

...Doctors will be prevented from talking openly about the sickness they see in their patients,...
(H) (1) If a medical professional, in order to assist in the diagnosis or treatment of an individual who was affected by an incident associated with the production operations of a well, requests the exact chemical composition of each product, fluid, or substance and of each chemical component in a product, fluid, or substance that is designated as a trade secret pursuant to division (I) of this section, the person claiming the trade secret protection pursuant to that division shall provide to the medical professional the exact chemical composition of the product, fluid, or substance and of the chemical component in a product, fluid, or substance that is requested.
(2) A medical professional who receives information pursuant to division (H)(1) of this section shall keep the information confidential and shall not disclose the information for any purpose that is not related to the diagnosis or treatment of an individual who was affected by an incident associated with the production operations of a well. Nothing in division (H)(2) of this section precludes a medical professional from making any report required by law or professional ethical standards.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=129_SB_315

So a medical professional can't disclose the exact chemical composition of frakking fluid that is a trade secret but the law does not prevent them from talking about sickness they see in patients who are exposed to the fluid. The law does not prevent a doctor from saying something like, "Drill-X contains substances such as dimethylhexane that are causing increased rates of cancer in the patients i've seen." The physician simply can't report that the fluid contains x% of dimethylnastystuff, y% of tetragonnakillya, etc.

Ohio's law requires manufacturers to provide Regulators and public safety officials with the exact chemical composition of the fluids and additiives. I've investigated many groundwater and soil releases of substances covered by trade secrets and have been provided with the list of compounds our lab tests should cover and MSDS sheets that contain the same information so we can properly protect ourselves in terms of exposure prevention. The existence of a trade secret does not mean regulators and monitoring/clean up professionals do not know what to look for or clean up.

I suggest people read the bill themselves- its much more comprehensive than just a frakking bill.

stwo's picture
stwo

I suggest people read the bill themselves- its much more comprehensive than just a frakking bill.

Well, normally I ignore your pedantic minutiae.

You've come trolling here to Thom's on occasion and nit picked the details of random conversations about environmental problems on this site for years. I suggest you come after me or just disappear. Otherwise, when you pick on people who come to this site and show their energy for a serious problem, It looks like you are trying to kill that energy by embarrassing it with your supposed "expertise" and thereby drive them away. Better to pick on me, I'm not going anywhere, and, well, I've got your number, so it would be fair.

You have proven yourself useless as far as larger concerns about environmental issues go. As the supposed "expert" technician you've presented yourself to be in the past, you've shown me over and over that you are anything but a big picture analyst. You do that by focusing on minutiae. Which is what a lab technician is good at, but also why they never make real scientists.

Fracking is a big picture societal problem, not a minutiae problem. It's part of a conversation that needs to take place about making a transition from a certain type of selfish, limitless growth economics to something that may save us all in the end. There are lots of ways to make the regulations inept and useless while disguising the very nature of that big picture so that a democratic process cannot deal with it. Subverting the legislative process and injecting this proprietary expertise into the mix is one of those ways.

We are trying to get a handle on the big picture here.

But I think you know that, and you have some other axe to grind. Some "expert's" demonstrate disdain for regular grassroots folk, or those, if they've bought the Republican propaganda, they'd label as "environmentalists", which of course includes blatant disrespect for people who actually do care about what we as a species with this particular technological culture are doing to the environment, but maybe haven't obtained the technical laboratory training in some specific field nor have spent years being a paid hack for industries that disdain regulations that elevates the pedantic "fact" based laboratory technician above these "common" folks in his or her mind.

Some of the things we humans do, like caring about our environment, may actually be as important as the "knowledge" of the technocrats who keep the machinery of industry grinding away and the pedantry of reading the legal details of industrial proprietry. It's hard to say. Maybe the final word on that won't be spoken until there's an empty, lifeless planet. And then there won't be anyone left to hear. Meanwhile there's a bigger struggle going on and it might be important. Many things are unknown to a corporate lab technician and even the big picture scientists.

If we are indeed destroying the environment, despite the cadre of corporate deniers we keep having to talk past, somehow we have to come together, and that's what the article you've nit picked is about.

People don't need to read this corporate induced legislation. Saving the corporations with their helpful ways of keeping their "proprietary" information secret may be the very thing that has to go. What we need to do is figure out how to save ourselves and our environment from a system that's at the macro level destroying ecology of the planet. And that's a hypothesis based on science as well.

.ren's picture
.ren

We'll I'm just waiting for the all wise, all knowing government God's to create an alternative to oil. So far nothing. We are not a single day closer to energy solutions today than when Obama took office. What's the hold up Barack? I guess it's drill baby drill or horses.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote rigel1:

We'll I'm just waiting for the all wise, all knowing government God's to create an alternative to oil. So far nothing. We are not a single day closer to energy solutions today than when Obama took office. What's the hold up Barack? I guess it's drill baby drill or horses.

We humans as a species have created a multitude of cultural adaptions to the planet. "We" have done it, not some god, not some authoritarian know it all.

It's up to you to think creatively. Some do, some don't -- and I suppose those who don't have to wait for someone else to do it.

.ren's picture
.ren
Quote .ren:[quote]Well, normally I ignore your pedantic minutiae.
And I your bloviation. Let us each continue.

stwo's picture
stwo

Thank you .ren for coming to my rescue. I do wonder if he truely thinks that the doctors are going to read the legislation themselves or if they even care to. My doctor (whom I rarely visit) only vaguely reads the side effects of the drugs he is prescribing. I actually have to do the research myself and decide if I can handle the side effects or if I am going to find an alternative. That's why I rarely visit him. I usually depend on alternative medicine and he hates that fact. Thank goodness for homepathics and accupuncture!

I believe the doctors will take it at face value that they cannot disclose what chemicals are making the people sick. They most likely will just disclose their illness and treatments. I don't believe they will read the fine print so to speak, at least that's been my experience with traditional medicine.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Is anyone here going to be a part of the protest? If so, let us know how it turned out!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

Community Archive

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.