PRIVATIZING The COMMONS

21 posts / 0 new

I was born and raised right here in the good old Mid West!

So the REPUBLICAN Governor of Indiana took the toll road and sold it to a FOREIGN CORPORATION.

I know... you're all saying, "Duh! Fletch... tell me something that I didn't know! REPUBLICANS are all for privatizing the commons."

So the DEMOCRATIC Mayor of Chicago took the: Parking Lots, Toll Road, & Parking meters and sold it to a FOREIGN CORPORATION.

Wait a second, Fletch... Democrats aren't into privatizing the commons! Oh! Yes they are!

Oops! What a "goof"! I almost forgot! The 2 supposed "opposite" of the aisle CROOKS sold OUR COMMONS to the same FOREIGN CORPORATION!

HOW CAN THIS BE!?!

I say it's because they are 2 sides of the SAME coin. There is NO difference between parties. Remember... it's not what they SAY, it's what they DO. They both "DO" the SAME G*Damn thing!

Is this an "isolated" incident? Anyone with a sense of history can tell you, "NO, it's not."

Think about it FOR YOURSELF. Think to yourself how many times the "2 Parties" have "switched" sides over the years.

Democrats "supposedly" are for CIVIL LIBERTIES, EQUAL RIGHTS, JUSTICE.

Republicans "supposedly" are for SMALLER GOVERNMENT, DEFENSE, BUSINESS.

Could ANYTHING be FARTHER FROM THE "TRUTH" right now? How many more times should we fall for this Pro Wrestling/Kabuki Theatre scam?

Someone who sees this "differently" than the way that I do... Tell me "WHY" I shouldn't think the way that I think. How can I ignore these facts? What "FACTS" am I not taking into account?

It looks very obvious that I have been awake to their scams... I can see through them. I know the deal.

"Stop. Hey! What's that sound? Everybody look, what's going down?"

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Comments

There are no real democrats in government right now. What you really have is a far left right and a far right right and everything in between. There hasn't been much for true democratic "actions" for a long time now. If you fit into the real democratic category you have very little shot at being elected. Ironically, Bernie Sanders looks like the closest thing to a democrat that we have in Washington right now.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

This should have changed after 8 years of Bush, but it was all so well orchestrated—even before Citizens United.

FDR, JFK.......where are you? HELP!

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Uh, there's no reason to exaggerate.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Karolina, "This should have changed after 8 years of Bush, but it was all so well orchestrated—even before Citizens United."

Until you do away with the string pullers, this country will continue down the same path to bankruptcy, and a totalitarian police state. We will not have a true representative republic until corporate and union influence is eliminated. To do that will require taking the money out of politics and campaigns and making lobbying (bribery) illegal.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Union influence? Where have you been? Either a paper bag, or another planet, or you're really an ostrich with his head in the sand.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Very unoriginal and tacky, Doug. LOL From 1989-2012 of the top 20 donors to political parties 14 have given mostly to the democratic party an 12 of the have been UNIONS. The 3rd largest being the AFSCME with 92% going to the demoncratic party. Union bribery and blackmail is part of the problem!

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php?order=A

3American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees$47,977,038

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Talk about tacky. Total union workers in the country, both private and public, make up about 12% of the entire workforce. You're going to tell me that 12% of the workforce has more lobbying power than the other 88% of the workforce? Union bribery and blackmail can have so much influence. Yeah right.

The top 20 political donors means nothing. I would look at the actual dollar amounts each political party recieved over that period of time. 100 contributions of $5000 dollars adds up to more than 20 contributions of $10,000 dollars.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

During that time they gave the dems way more money than the repubs. Did you bother to even look it up, or again when you don't like the message, attack the messenger. Don't get me wrong I am not defending or endorsing anything repub either. Both parties are the same destructive, money wasting, power hungry entity.

Here it is, you can easily figure it out. And yes it ain't the members, it is the MONEY!

RankOrganizationTotal '89-'12Dem %Repub %Tilt1ActBlue$62,816,96999%0% 2AT&T Inc$48,860,16143%55%3American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees$47,977,03892%1% 4National Assn of Realtors$41,882,61647%49%5National Education Assn$41,412,23374%5% 6Goldman Sachs$38,332,42058%39%7Service Employees International Union$38,237,14675%2% 8American Assn for Justice$35,844,42988%8% 9Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers$35,233,77596%2% 10American Federation of Teachers$33,615,76687%0% 11Laborers Union$32,890,94087%7% 12Teamsters Union$32,547,02887%5% 13Carpenters & Joiners Union$31,603,75886%10% 14Communications Workers of America$31,415,94792%0% 15Citigroup Inc$29,470,27549%49%16American Medical Assn$28,017,31140%59%17United Food & Commercial Workers Union$27,986,75592%0% 18United Auto Workers$27,928,28298%0% 19National Auto Dealers Assn$27,680,50832%67%20Machinists & Aerospace Workers Union$27,579,72798%1%

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Well that didn't paste like the list. So here again is the site.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

I don't see it. That graph is just donations to candidates, I think.

To prove your point you have to add it all up.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Adding up what the unions gave to the dems during that period totals $286.7 million. Adding up what the rest gave to the repubs and being generous on the rounding comes to $130 million. So just the unions gave m ore that double to the dems not countuing those that split their donations between the dems and repubs.

It aint the numbers it's the MONEY that talks. The dems get far more that repubs, especially from unions.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

BW, "Total union workers in the country, both private and public, make up about 12% of the entire workforce."

I'll bet that corporate donors are even less of a percentage of total voters.

Her is a short article about how unions and corporations are gaming the system.

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2011/02/unions-big-business-and-political-influence.html

camaroman's picture
camaroman

I would be willing to bet that Democrats receive more from certain big business donors than Republicans do. You don't have to buy people that already agree with your agenda. When you have most of the Republicans in your pocket already then why waste money on them? Take care of your friends and pay off your enemies.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Go to the site and see for yourself who gives the most donations and who receives them. I surprized me. lol

camaroman's picture
camaroman

I was just reading that many of the traditional republican supporters amongst corporations are giving more this year to Democrats than to Republicans. It said that they are smart enough to hedge their bets. Makes sense to me. I don't know if that means they are betting on Obama to win the 2012 election or if they think it's too hard to call. I personally think that lobbying money is much more important to address than political contributions. Lobbyist have a very narrow, personal agenda as opposed to just supporting a party or candidate.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I don't see what these arguments over who gets the most donations is supposed to prove. President Obama got a lot more financial support than John McCain. Could it be that nobody wanted a third Bush term? Democratic candidates seem to be getting more direct donations than Republicans. Could it be that people and firms who are proud to be publically identified with Democratics donate directly to the candidates while those who prefer to slither in the darkness donate anonymously to 501 3 cs? It looks, on the surface, as though many businesses give money to Democratic candidates out in the open. Could it be that they know that Democratic governance is good for business.

It's one thing to try to show us where the money goes and from whom. Why don't you tell us what it means, Calperson? The numbers get boring to look at.

Art's picture
Art

Oh, sorry. I guess we're dealing with Cameroguy, here. Bunch of these guys are indestinguishable to me.

Art's picture
Art

Art, "Could it be that nobody wanted a third Bush term?"

The voters might not have wanted a third Bush term, but that is what they got. Because money talks and bullshit walks.

The Altria Group is the first repub leaning donor is 22 on the list with a 38% dem contribution also.Even good ol BP at # 138 on the list of top 140 donors slit their contribution 29% dem-70% repub with a total of only 6.3 milllion. It seems that business and corporate donors like to hedge their bets between both parties.

My point was that both unions and corporations, through campaign donations AND lobbying (perhaps more so the latter) exert a tremendous amout of influence over the parties and politicians to the detriment of the general populace.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Unions don't have the power anymore like at their peak in the 60's and 70's. Of course, they understandably contribute to demos since they share common interests. Unions are now kind of like the Swiss army. Competent, well meaning, but they can no way compete with NATO or the US military. The rich and corporate are NATO.

lovecraft
My point was that both unions and corporations, through campaign donations AND lobbying (perhaps more so the latter) exert a tremendous amout of influence over the parties and politicians to the detriment of the general populace.
That was your point? OK. I don't think you needed to go to all that trouble.

Is this something new?

Art's picture
Art

Currently Chatting

The GOP war on workers has killed again...

It’s time to stop the conservative's war on working people in America.

Since the birth of our nation, conservatives have always been wary of average working-class Americans having too much political or economic power. John Adams, the second President of the United States and a Federalist (precursor to today’s Republicans), was very wary of the working class, which he referred to as “the rabble.”