Quick ACTIONS you can take to help protect wildlife, marine life and wilderness!

22 posts / 0 new

I have a list of actions you can take that are current. I hope you will take a moment and sign any that you agree with. Thank you for your kind considerations. If for some reason the links below don't work here is a link to the page where these all can be found.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/action/alerts/index.html

Please click the links below to take action for endangered species and wild places PLEASE HELP IN THIS SIMPLE WAY!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Well....all of the links work. I just edited and sent 20 emails from the above action links. PLEASE DO YOUR PART and post a message here to let me know you are involved. Thank you for your consideration. Please don't just let this thread die. Please reply to it to keep it going and take a moment to sign some of the issues that reach out to your heart. Thanks again!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

H e l l o oooooooo is anyone getting involved or am I wasting my time? There are some VERY IMPORTANT ISSUES and all you have to do is click on one, read and sign it to help. Please let me know if you are getting involved so this thread won't die and hopefully others will do the same. Or maybe I am wasting my time?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

H e l l o o o o o o o anyone getting involved? There is so MUCH you can do to make things right just sitting at your computer. Look at the list I posted at the top and find SOMETHING to sign! Do you part PLEASE! Your signature could be the one that put an end to some damaging pratice. Please if you care look at the list again and find one to sign. Thank you.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

You're not wasting your time. Many of us sign many petitions. I've signed many on your list and I'm sure other have as well. There's just not much to add once I've signed. There are too many topics on this page alone to address in a post. Keep pluggin away though!

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I just needed to hear that SOMEONE was paying attention and doing their part. I can see that many look at what I have posted but they don't reply and it makes me think they are simply reading and doing nothing after that. I truely appreciate your response and your participation! THANKS!!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote MrsBJLee:

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I just needed to hear that SOMEONE was paying attention and doing their part. I can see that many look at what I have posted but they don't reply and it makes me think they are simply reading and doing nothing after that. I truely appreciate your response and your participation! THANKS!!!

You're Welcome! I try to keep up to date as possible on what's going on in the environment but you always have a little something extra that I haven't seen or even thought about. So keep doing what you're doing, I for one appreciate it.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

And I am grateful for your reply and participation! ;-)

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I did them all and shared with my peeps.

I didn't know we had the most turtles. Or that there were jaguars in the US. I heard of the Ocelot maybe still being around in southern Texas but I don't know if there are any left in the US anymore.

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

THANK YOU FOR TAKING ACTION!! WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU!! Thank you so much!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Here is something else you can do! Read below!

When the beautiful new tiger stamp went on sale last September it immediately flew off the shelves. Roughly ten months later, more than 11 million tiger stamps have been sold, with the proceeds supporting programs to save tigers, elephants, apes, and other vanishing species.

Shockingly, this incredibly popular and simple mechanism to help save wildlife will be the one to vanish if Congress fails to renew it by the end of this year.

The stamp bill was just introduced in Congress – if we don't act quickly to get it passed now, it's going to get lost in the shuffle of a busy and contentious election season.

That's why we need you to email your representative today and ask them to keep the tiger stamp alive!

The popularity of the Save Vanishing Species postage stamp, which costs 55 cents, or 10 cents more than a regular First Class Mail stamp, is a testament to the American people's commitment to international wildlife.

Without any additional burden to taxpayers, the stamp is raising much needed funds for critical conservation programs. Tigers, elephants, great apes, rhinoceroses, sea turtles – they all stand to lose big if Congress fails to renew the stamp.

In our current political climate nothing comes easy, but renewing the stamp is a win-win situation for conservation lovers, the American taxpayer, and especially our endangered species.

Help us make the case to save the tiger stamp and secure this simple source of international conservation funding for four more years.

Thank you once again for all your help. I can't tell you how invaluable it is to my work to know that when I need someone to stand up for wildlife, you'll be there.

Sincerely,

John F. Calvelli
Executive Vice President, Public Affairs
Wildlife Conservation Society

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

THIS ACTION IS FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS....

Just over a week ago, 450 residents from all over Southern California packed a meeting to discuss fracking regulations, demanding a ban on fracking in California.

The day after this meeting, Los Angeles City Council members introduced a resolution calling on the state to place a moratorium on fracking until the process is shown to be safe. This is an important first step in protecting our state from the potentially irreversible damage of fracking.

Californians are clear: no amount of regulation will keep us safe from this destructive technology. Across the country, fracking has poisoned our water and polluted our air. In other states, it has been linked to everything from earthquakes to severely decreased property values and numerous public health risks.

The Los Angeles City Council resolution can help us begin working toward a statewide ban in California.

As you may know, fracking injects millions of gallons of fracking fluids—a mixture of nearly 600 chemicals, water and sand—into a well to create pressure that cracks open rocks underground, releasing oil or natural gas. However, due to a legislative loophole, we can't hold these natural gas and oil companies accountable under the Safe Drinking Water Act, and they don't have to disclose the 596 chemicals that may be contaminating our water. These companies blatantly disregard the health and safety of our communities in their quest for profits. That's why we're working hard here in California to demand a statewide ban on this destructive practice.

Take action to ask the LA City Council to pass the fracking moratorium resolution today:
http://action.foodandwaterwatch.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=10953

Thanks for taking action,

Brenna Norton
Southern California Organizer
Food & Water Watch
bnorton(at)fwwatch(dot)org

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Polar bear habitat is about to be officially opened for oil drilling.

The White House is expected to give the final go ahead any day now for Shell to begin drilling for oil in the Arctic this summer. Melting sea ice from global warming has made Shell’s plans possible. And if the company does find oil, the Arctic oil rush will be on and things will only get worse.

That’s why we’ve launched one of our biggest campaigns ever to create a global sanctuary in the high Arctic — making it off limits to oil drilling and other industrial activities.

Folks like Paul McCartney, Jack White and 130,000 others have already added their names to our “Arctic Scroll” petition as a symbol of their determination to save the Arctic. But we need you to join them by adding your name today if it is going to become a reality.

Sign up now to help us create a global sanctuary in the high Arctic where polar bears and the other living creatures that call it home will be protected.

Once we reach 1,000,000 total signatures worldwide, we’re going to take your name, put it on a flag with all the others and plant it at the bottom of the sea 4 km beneath the North Pole. It's big and it's ambitious, but you can make it happen.

During the Arctic summer, polar bears hunt on the sea ice. But as the effects of global warming increase and the ice disappears, starving polar bears are forced to swim huge distances in search of food. If this continues, they could become extinct. Their home is melting.

Creating a global sanctuary in the high Arctic is critical if we hope to protect polar bears and the other living creatures that call it home.

Scientists predict that the North Pole could be completely free of ice during summer within the next few years. Melting sea ice is a warning to humanity, not an invitation for big oil to drill. We have to act now.

I don’t just believe that the creation of a global sanctuary in the high Arctic is possible. I know it. Greenpeace achieved the very same thing twenty years ago when Antarctica was declared a World Park, off-limits to industrialization. Now it’s our turn to make history and to do the same thing at the other end of the planet.

Sign up today and demand a global sanctuary in the high Arctic Sanctuary for all life on Earth.

Save the Arctic,

Dan Howells
Greenpeace Deputy Campaigns Director

http://us.greenpeace.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=22301.0&dlv_id=28001

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Please use the link below to visit change.org (environment) petition pages. There are about 3 pages of petitions that are quick to read and sign. Please do your part and let others know about these important petitions.

http://www.change.org/topics/environment

Thank you for all you do!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Take action here!

California's ORV division has never addressed the serious environmental damage to soil, water quality, vegetation and endangered species at Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area, a moonscape of completely eroded hills. Yet the agency now wants to let intensive ORV use tear up Alameda-Tesla purchase lands.

Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area is updating its general plan and will be preparing an "environmental impact report," but its notice for the environmental review leaves out any mention of expanding destructive ORV use. It likewise fails to describe the important biological resources in the Tesla area that would be destroyed -- or any alternative uses for the park.

The Center for Biological Diversity has joined with the Friends of Tesla Park to preserve the Tesla lands as a nonmotorized park and low-impact recreation area, to save its historic and natural resources.

Link>> http://action.biologicaldiversity.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=11029

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Here is an update list of actions you can take. Help us have more environmental victories to place in the "win" topic!

HERE IS A LINK TO THE PAGE WHERE THEY ARE ALL LISTED.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/action/alerts/index.html

THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The next time you pour yourself a glass of water, spare a thought for Jimmy Hall and his neighbors. Jimmy is the fifth-generation Hall to own property on Mill Creek in Letcher County, Kentucky. He has deep roots in coal country. Back in the late 1800s, his great-great-great grandfather’s homestead included an entire mountain range, but mountaintop-removal coal mining has turned his family’s special place into a moonscape.

Then the Water Department called.

“‘Don’t drink the water,’ is what they told us,” says Jimmy. “They found arsenic and lead from nearby mining operations in my well water. It’s not just me—my neighbors have the same problem. Many of them are chronically ill, and some have died.”

Unfortunately, that’s not unusual in eastern Kentucky, where rubble and toxic waste from mountaintop-removal coal mining frequently contaminate streams and valleys. In all of Appalachia, mountaintop-removal mining has already damaged or destroyed nearly 2,000 miles of streams. In just the past two decades, more than 500 mountains in Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, western Virginia and Maryland have been leveled. At the current pace, 1.4 million acres of forests and mountaintops could be destroyed by the end of this decade. Gone forever.

It’s a peculiar arrogance that can justify the obliteration of mountains that have stood for nearly 500 million years. But it’s not only the mountains that are being destroyed—it is entire communities and a hard-scrabble culture that has survived for centuries. The people of Appalachia have seen more than their share of hardship, and it’s made them tough. But the violence of mountaintop-removal mining—blasting and bulldozing, air and water contamination, mudslides and floods—is more than anyone should have to endure.

Why is this still happening in the 21st century? Demand for Appalachian coal is at a historic low. We have better, cleaner ways to generate electricity. We don’t need the coal, but we’re allowing coal companies to destroy the mountains and poison the land and water anyway. The human toll is high: People living near mountaintop-removal coal mines have significantly higher rates of cardiovascular disease and cancer. That’s why Reps. Dennis Kucinich and Louise Slaughter have introduced the Appalachian Communities Health Emergency Act [H.R. 5959], which would place a moratorium on permitting for mountaintop-removal coal mining until health studies are conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services.

One key to fighting back right now: Poisoning people’s water is not only wrong, it’s against the law. The Clean Water Act sets clear standards for water quality, but in Kentucky’s coal country the practice has long been to look the other way. In fact, the state of Kentucky would prefer to keep looking the other way, but the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has fulfilled its responsibility in the past couple of years by vetoing 36 surface-mining permits that didn’t include provisions for ensuring water quality. Even though the agency approved many more permits than it rejected, that was enough to spark an uproar in coal country.

So last week, the EPA held hearings in Kentucky on its plans to protect water. Jimmy Hall and other Kentuckians were there to speak out for clean water, but they were outnumbered by hundreds of coal supporters bussed in by The Kentucky Coal Association. Says Jimmy: “They did everything they could to intimidate me and the dozens of other activists who were there. They booed, heckled and kicked us. Someone even threatened the safety of the representatives from the EPA who were there to listen to us.”

Did Jimmy Hall find Big Coal’s show of force intimidating? “Not when the health of our children is on the line,” he says. “One of my neighbors showed me his well water—it was rust-colored and cloudy. He’s forced to use it for drinking, food preparation and to bathe his children.”

Some of the strangest pro-coal rhetoric came not from the public but from Kentucky government officials who spoke at the hearings: “Environmental permitting is not designed to stop legitimate business activities,” said Kentucky Energy and Environment Secretary Leonard K. Peter, who apparently believes that coal mining deserves to operate above the law. Out of 21 Kentucky officeholders at the EPA hearing in Frankfort, only one, Rep. Joni Jenkins, (D-Shively), stood up for the EPA and clean water for her constituents.

What the coal companies are doing is wrong, but understandable. But for the state of Kentucky to put Big Coal’s interests above the health and safety of its own citizens is reprehensible. For people like Jimmy Hall who have seen their heritage and now their drinking water destroyed by mountaintop-removal mining, the EPA and the Clean Water Act offer the biggest hope of fighting back against Big Coal in the heart of coal country.

But you can help, too. The EPA is accepting comments on its enforcement of the Clean Water Act in Kentucky. Urge them to hold the line for clean water.

Visit EcoWatch’s CLEAN WATER ACT page for more related news on this topic.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Here is a link to the Sierra Club's action page where there is quite an extensive list of petitions and emails you can sign. GET INVOLVED....LET'S HAVE MORE VICTORIES TO WRITE ABOUT!

https://secure.sierraclub.org/site/Advocacy?page=UserActionInactive&id=8938

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Thanks to the actions and support from thousands of people around the world, like you, who signed the petition calling for law enforcement to protect the Tripa Peat Swamps, two of large palm oil companies in Tripa are now under a high-profile investigation, facing criminal charges for their destruction.

But in the last week another fire storm has erupted threatening the remaining Sumatran Orangutan population even before the investigation is over, and the trial has begun!

We urgently need everyone to sign and share the new petition calling for the President of Indonesia to make a direct instruction to ALL THE PALM OIL COMPANIES IN TRIPA to stop work immediately, and for the investigation to include all the companies that are breaking the law by lighting fires to clear land and the protected forests of Tripa Peat Swamp.

http://www.change.org/petitions/indonesian-president-immediately-halt-all-the-destruction-of-tripa-enforce-indonesian-law

Please sign and share widely!

For more information, check out the website

www.endoftheicons.wordpress.com

http://www.change.org/petitions/indonesian-president-immediately-halt-all-the-destruction-of-tripa-enforce-indonesian-law?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The Upper Hoback Basin in the rugged mountains of western Wyoming is a special place. It provides critical habitat and serves as a vital crossroads for migrating wildlife in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. However, for the second year in a row, the Hoback River near Jackson Hole—the gateway to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks—has been named one of America’s most endangered rivers.

Do you have a moment to help protect this treasured place?

PXP, a Houston-based energy company is proposing to drill 136 gas wells at the headwaters of this federally protected wild and scenic river. PXP’s proposed drilling operation threatens to harm this national and global resource. This is a problem.

Luckily, there is a solution. PXP can sell its oil and gas leases to a conservation buyer for permanent retirement. Legislation passed in 2009 ensures the area can never again be leased for oil and gas drilling. This is a win-win solution.

Take Action: Add your name to a petition that will be sent to the PXP’s CEO James C. Flores, urging him to do the right thing. It takes less than a minute, but can make a difference.

Thank you for taking the time to help protect the amazing natural values of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.

Sincerely,

Sharon Mader
Sr. Program Manager

This petition is at change.org

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Tell BofA CEO not to bail out mountaintop removal

Hey,Patriot Coal, the third largest mountaintop removal coal mining company in the US, is filing for bankruptcy, and Bank of America is one of the banks providing bankruptcy filing services to the company. I just signed this petition to BofA's CEO calling on him not to bail out Patriot's MTR mines, and thought you might want to, too.

http://ran.org/act/bofa_patriot/?t=a&r=

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Protect the Coastal Plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Called "America's Serengeti" for its tremendous biological productivity and diversity, the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is one of the most pristine, vibrant, and untouched ecosystems in America. The Refuge is home to 42 mammal species, including more than 120,000 caribou; 36 species of fish; and over 160 species of birds. Unfortunately, this unparalleled 1.5-million-acre habitat has never received Wilderness protection, leaving it vulnerable to harmful oil and gas development. Legislation is being considered in both chambers of Congress that would permanently protect the coastal plain as Wilderness. Find out more.

Write to your U.S. Representative today and tell him or her to support the Udall-Eisenhower Arctic Wilderness Act to permanently protect the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Send the sample letter below, or edit it with your own words to explain why protecting the Arctic is important to YOU.

Find the email to send at Audubon Action Page

Protect the Coastal Plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

Who Should an Economy Serve?

The top one percent own half of all the world's assets. In stark contrast, the bottom fifty percent of the world owns less than one percent. According to the 2014 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, global inequality has surged since the 2008 financial collapse. The report explains that while global wealth has more than doubled since the year 2000, the vast majority of overall growth has gone to those who were already wealthy.