Ron Paul Has Dropped Out of the Presidential Race … Or Has He?

32 posts / 0 new

Ron Paul Has Dropped Out of the Presidential Race … Or Has He?

Washington’s Blog
Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The corporate media is abuzz with headlines saying that Ron Paul has finally seen the light, thrown in the towel, and ended his campaign.

However, Ron Paul supporters believe that – while he won’t be campaigning in the primary states – Paul is still in the race, and will be focusing on winning delegates in caucus states.

For example, Policy Mic argues:

Ron Paul announced today in a letter to supporters that he will not campaign for the popular vote in states that have yet to held their primaries.

In his under-reported IDD strategy (“It’s the Delegates, Dummy”), Paul has focused on the fact that presidential nominees are chosen by delegates, not by popular vote. Paul’s campaign has focused to date especially on states that allow committed Republican Party members to have a greater voice in the process. States like Iowa, Nevada, Maine, Louisiana, Washington, and Colorado have been states where Paul supporters have made tremendous inroads in winning party leadership positions and being influential in the national delegate selection process. While many states have yet to finish the delegate selection process, it increasingly looks like Paul could dominate the nationwide delegate process called long ago in Romney’s favor.

Paul’s announcement today fits that same vein, but will no doubt surprise many of his supporters. Not only is Paul saying “It’s the Delegates Dummy” to Mitt Romney and the national media, he is taking it a step further and saying that spending his supporters’ money on winning the popular vote is of such little importance to the campaign that they aren’t going to waste time or money on that any longer.

Does that mean Paul has dropped out? Quit the race? Suspended his campaign? Packed his bags? Returned home to lil ole Lake Jackson, Texas? No, it means quite the opposite. It means that Paul will have more ability to focus on delegate selection instead of the many upcoming winner take all states.

As has been the case from January 3 – the night of the Iowa Caucus – this is a two man race. It’s Mitt Romney v. Ron Paul. Paul, the seasoned campaigner, will be on Romney’s heels through to the RNC in August. If Romney makes 1,144 delegates on the first ballot, Romney becomes the Republican nominee. If Romney slips, the man on his heels will gladly take his place. That’s been the story since Iowa and remains the story today. The decision remains in the hands of 2,286 Republican delegates, many of whom have yet to be chosen. Will it be more of the same or will it be the man who’s spent some 40 years standing on his principle against the GOP establishment both inside DC and out?

The following videos show that passionate Paul supporters believe that Paul is still in the race:

Is this wishful thinking by Paul supporters … or for real?

Certainly, the timing will strike Paul supporters as odd, given that Paul has picked up a huge number of delegates in recent weeks, and the fact is starting to be known that delegates pledged to Romney canswitch their vote at will.

But mixed messages are coming out of the Paul camp … even as they claim that Paul is still in the race.

As senior Paul adviser Doug Wead writes today:

“We are absolutely not dropping out of this race! We are focusing our efforts squarely on winning delegates and party leadership positions at state conventions.”

- Jesse Benton, Campaign Chairman

Ron Paul announced today he would not be competing in the upcoming primary states, saying that he would focus, instead, on his delegate strategy. A strategy that is working, by the way, and transforming the Republican Party. It is something he has said many times since the February 11, 2012 caucus in Maine.

Only this time, the main stream media gave the announcement full attention and treated it like the end of his campaign. Drudge ran it as a front page headline “Ron Paul is out.”

For the last two years the national media has been saying that Ron Paul is out. So how could that possibly be news? One might ask, “When has the mainstream media ever thought that Ron Paul was in?”

Bracing for a Ron Paul win in Iowa, major new outlets last January announced that if he won, the Iowa Caucus, itself, would be discredited. According to the New York Times and the Associated Press, Ron Paul is still listed as the recipient of one, count em, one delegate from Iowa, a state that he now dominates.

Likewise, the fact that Ron Paul supporters took a big chunk of the delegation of Mitt Romney’s home state of Massachusetts was not big news.

By ending the primary battles, Ron Paul is signalling to the field that this is the end of hostilities. In primaries you end up tearing each other down. It is millions of dollars spent on negative advertising. In caucuses, as brutal as they may be, you change the Republican Party, you empower the new and challenge the established.

The delegate strategy is working. That is the way we will impact the platform in Tampa. That is the way we will begin the process of change. It is through the caucuses that we are attracting youth, like the twenty-one year old woman recently elected to the national committee from Maine or the Ron Paul Hispanics or the Independents who have never been involved in party politics.

***Our people have been punched, yelled at, lied to and worked until they can hardly stand. But on they come, fighting for their children, fighting for their future, angry at the corruption of the banks, of Wall Street, of the lobbyists, of the congress, of the White House. The battle for liberty is not over. It has just taken on a new phase. It cannot be stopped by the national media. If that were the case it would never have been born in the first place.

And some will say that it is a lost cause, which I will not concede but it does remind me of Clarence Darrow’s famous line, “Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for.”

http://www.prisonplanet.com/ron-paul-has-dropped-out-of-the-presidential-race-%e2%80%a6-or-has-he.html

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat

Comments

I will write Paul in on the general election ballot. I do not consider Romney or Obama worthy of my vote. The are both corporate puppets.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
I will write Paul in on the general election ballot.
Good move. I admire your standing by your convictions.

Art's picture
Art

They tend to drop out in this manner. Otherwise it looks like surrendering to defeat. They are done and they know it but they want to save face. Plus this kind of an ending makes it easier to play again in 2016.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

We all got a lesson in the Delegate strategy during the Bush/Gore fiasco.

All Ron Paul has done is to expose the corrupt system for what it is. He has done a MAGNIFICENT job on exposing the privately held "federal reserve". That alone is worth admiring.

If one studies the history of our founding fathers of this nation... they were EXTREMELY concerned with the banking system. I'm paraphrasing - The banking system is more important than the military. It's the foundation upon which all of our governance is built upon.

If the foundation is flawed... so is every one of our institutions that are built upon it.

In this particular case... I do believe that the mere act of resisting, is "WINNING".

When you look at his ability to draw YOUNG crowds... those young crowds are soaking this message up. The children are our future.

This is one of the FEW things that gives me hope that I am wrong about a lot of bad things coming our way.

I am NOT a Libertarian. I believe that it's a fatally flawed system that "fixes" things after the fact. By the time the damage is done... the MONEY has the power and therefore can control the message. If we don't get the true message, then our decisions will be made on false pretenses. That's-a not-so-good! Based on that logic... things would not get better under a Libertarian regime. We need fair and wise people in positions of power. We need fair and just rules proactively, not reactively.

That being said...

I truly believe that monuments will be made of this man. I think he's "THAT" important.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Who really cares?

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

Probably a lot more than you realize.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote Sprinklerfitter:

Who really cares?

So you want the North American Union and living in a FEMA Camp huh ?

or

Do you like your freedom now ?

Ask again who cares.

antikakistocrat

On Feb. 18, 2001 Ron Paul appeared on "Radio Free America," a show founded by Willis Carto, a neo-Nazi who founded the white supremacist group the National Alliance.

Michael Medved is a conservative who has publically debated Thom and who once simulcast his show with Thom's (and vice-versa). In October 2007, Medved wrote "An Open Letter to Ron Paul" in which he pointed out that Paul's campaign was supported by "an imposing collection of Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, Holocaust Deniers, 9/11 'Truthers,' and other paranoid and discredited conspiracists." Medved also stated that Paul's columns have appeared in the American Free Press, ". . .a publication of the nation's leading Holocaust Denier an anti-Semitic agitator, Willis Carto."

Medved asks Paul if he ever plans to disassociate himself and his presidential campaign with these right-wing extremists groups. From what I read, Medved never received a reply from Paul or his campaign. People with these types of beliefs are destructive. Paul has gone out of his way to address people with these kinds of extremists views.

Robindell's picture
Robindell

Just cuz a racist publication prints some of Ron Paul's writings doesn't mean that Ron Paul is racist himself.

Just like this forum has a lot of Prison-Planet articles. It doesn't mean Thom has endorsed all or any of them for that matter.

This matter has been hacked to death in the media and is a dead issue.

antikakistocrat

While I am NOT a Libertarian... Ron Paul CLEARLY has way more in common with "us" than either of the 2 FAKE party shitstem.

I know that this is hard to believe (given the last 13 years), but... we do not elect KINGS! We elect Presidents that are SWORN TO AN OATH to protect and SERVE the constitution of the United States of America.

Part of SERVING the constitution is to WORK within the separate but equal parts of our Republic system.

So I believe, if Ron Paul was president... the "system" would be allowed to work.

You know... "CHECKS AND BALANCES"! Like we were taught back in grade school. I wonder what they are taught about "checks and balances" in todays history classes?

Ron Paul would DEFINATELY get my vote.

I really want to see him debate, 1 on 1 (or 1 on 2) for an hour or two so that the rest of the world would see just how far from grace our nation has fallen.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Still with the Ron Paul threads, huh? Yawn.

Art's picture
Art

Ron Paul may not be a racist, although I personally believe that he probably is, but he sure likes them.

Robindell's picture
Robindell
Quote Art:

Still with the Ron Paul threads, huh? Yawn.

You don't have to be here if you don't want to.

But yes, more Ron Paul threads from those here who want to save the republic.

antikakistocrat
Quote Robindell:

Ron Paul may not be a racist, although I personally believe that he probably is, but he sure likes them.

Right, you post here, people from Prison-Planet post here. You may not be a libertarian but you sure do like them.

How's that for circular thinking.

antikakistocrat

I voted for Dr. Paul in the early voting of the Texas primary. I will write him in on the general election ballot in November.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote antikakistocrat:

Just cuz a racist publication prints some of Ron Paul's writings doesn't mean that Ron Paul is racist himself.

No, Ron Paul is a racist because he is a racist.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Econ, "No, Ron Paul is a racist because he is a racist."

BULLSHIT!!! You do not know of what you speak. You are an unimformed prejudiced idiot.

Copy and paste this comment all over the web:

Ron Paul delivered poor black babies for free when no other doctor would: http://youtu.be/8Rv0Z5SNrF4

And he got the endorsement of gay marriage founder Andrew Sullivan. And he endorsed an openly gay candidate Rick Sincere in 1993.

http://www.libertariannews.org/2011/12/29/new-information-discredits-racist-media-smear-campaign-against-ron-paul/

Maybe you need to get your facts from something other than a lying liberal source.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/25/141653000/before-he-delivered-for-voters-paul-delivered-babies

Got a problem with the source?

camaroman's picture
camaroman

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation. William Paley

camaroman's picture
camaroman

At what time can we start to "flag as offensive" any post referring to Ron Paul?

chilidog

The only thing you can flag as offensive is swearing not other people expressing their 1st Amendment freedoms. Even about Ron Paul.

antikakistocrat
Quote camaroman:

BULLSHIT!!! You do not know of what you speak. You are an unimformed prejudiced idiot.

Copy and paste this comment all over the web:

Ron Paul delivered poor black babies for free when no other doctor would: http://youtu.be/8Rv0Z5SNrF4

And he got the endorsement of gay marriage founder Andrew Sullivan. And he endorsed an openly gay candidate Rick Sincere in 1993.

http://www.libertariannews.org/2011/12/29/new-information-discredits-racist-media-smear-campaign-against-ron-paul/

Maybe you need to get your facts from something other than a lying liberal source.

Good job !!!!

antikakistocrat

Paul and his supporters claim that he moved to Texas, the newsletters stayed in Washington, and he was too busy to even look at the 8 page newsletter that earned him a million dollars a years. (So much for Texas straight talk.) We have direct evidence that he's lying. Renae Hathaway, Paul's former secretary who still supports him, says that Paul was a very hands-on owner of the newsletters: "He always got to see the final product. He would proof it." (Another longtimeemployee, Eric Rittberg, confirms that he saw Ron Paul proofing, editing and signing off on the newsletters.) Hathaway said the newsletter company had an office in Houston and another one in Clute, very near Paul's house, and that he came to Houston -- 50 miles from his home -- at least weekly.

The fact is, Ron Paul has said a lot of things similar to (but milder than) the shocking newsletter quotes, things he does not dispute. In 2007, Dr. Paul republished his 1987 book "Freedom Under Siege" which has a lot of choice passages, such as calling the AIDS sufferer "a victim of his own lifestyle [who] victimizes innocent citizens by forcing them to pay for his care"; saying sexual harassment victims bear some responsibility because they didn't quit their jobs; and complaining that whites would be called bigots if they formed a white caucus in Congress, but minority caucuses are OK.

http://www.realchange.org/ronpaul.htm

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

[quote=Bush_Wacker]

Paul and his supporters claim that he moved to Texas, the newsletters stayed in Washington, and he was too busy to even look at the 8 page newsletter that earned him a million dollars a years. (So much for Texas straight talk.) We have direct evidence that he's lying. Renae Hathaway, Paul's former secretary who still supports him, says that Paul was a very hands-on owner of the newsletters: "He always got to see the final product. He would proof it." (Another longtimeemployee, Eric Rittberg, confirms that he saw Ron Paul proofing, editing and signing off on the newsletters.) Hathaway said the newsletter company had an office in Houston and another one in Clute, very near Paul's house, and that he came to Houston -- 50 miles from his home -- at least weekly.

Okay but did Ron Paul write the article or did he just allow it, there's a difference. I am allowed to post articles here should my libertarianess keep Thom from holding office if he wants to run cuz of something I wrote ? Use your head. This hint and innuendo crap won't appeal to the thinkers here.

The fact is, Ron Paul has said a lot of things similar to (but milder than) the shocking newsletter quotes, things he does not dispute. In 2007, Dr. Paul republished his 1987 book "Freedom Under Siege" which has a lot of choice passages, such as calling the AIDS sufferer "a victim of his own lifestyle [who] victimizes innocent citizens by forcing them to pay for his care"; There's an element of truth to it. The government engineered the AIDS virus so they should be held responsible.

saying sexual harassment victims bear some responsibility because they didn't quit their jobs;

Show me where he said this. A victim should never have to quit anything.

and complaining that whites would be called bigots if they formed a white caucus in Congress,

They would...

but minority caucuses are OK.

It's de-facto okay.

http://www.realchange.org/ronpaul.htm

antikakistocrat

Why is O not held accountable for setting in the pews for 20 years and listening to Rev Wright spew his racist anti-American crap?

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Perhaps, camaroman, the argument could be made that Rev Wright's tirades were 'anti-American'--but were they 'racist'?

Kerry's picture
Kerry

saying sexual harassment victims bear some responsibility because they didn't quit their jobs;

Show me where he said this. A victim should never have to quit anything.

As highlighted by CNN on Friday, in his 1987 book, Freedom Under Siege: The U.S. Constitution After 200-Plus Years, republished in 2007, Ron Paul made some eyebrow-raising statements about sexual harassment and women’s rights in the workplace:

Employee rights are said to be valid when employers pressure employees into sexual activity. Why don’t they quit once the so-called harassment starts? Obviously the morals of the harasser cannot be defended, but how can the harassee escape some responsibility for the problem? Seeking protection under civil rights legislation is hardly acceptable.

Harassment isn’t the only area where Paul’s ideas came into conflict with workplace equality. Paul is also against equal pay laws in the book.

The concept of equal pay for equal work is not only an impossible task, it can only be accomplished with the total rejection of the idea of the voluntary contract. By what right does the government assume power to tell an airline it must hire unattractive women if it does not want to?

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote camaroman:

Why is O not held accountable for setting in the pews for 20 years and listening to Rev Wright spew his racist anti-American crap?

He is held accountable. 48% of the electorate voted against him in 2008.

And 48% will probably vote against him in 2012.

chilidog
Quote camaroman:

We went through this already in the posts. Look it up. The guy had racist newsletters and is against the Civil Rights Act. You know all this.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Being against the civil rights act is racist? HA!!! It is unConstitutional. Did you go to any of the site I posted. Dr. Paul has delivered 100's of minority babies for FREE when other doctors would not even touch them.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Face, I'm not going to chase your blind links, and you are not going to look up the conversations we had over the newsletters.

However, I don't need to deny your facts, you need to deny mine.

And, who cares if you think the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional? He is against the law, whether in the form of a law or amendment.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.