Spokane, WA misses it's Progressive talk station

1 post / 0 new

On March 26, 2012 at Noon by the way, Just as Thom's show was about to start, our Local Progressive talk station, changed to Classic Country without any warning. After 9 years I felt like we were out of the woods, which is to say, I didn't think we had to worry about losing our Progressive talk station. We had it for so long and got so used to it.

Well, what came next, was the Progressives of Spokane registering our absolute disappointment, and anger. We got no warning, and our questions got no answers. After carpet bombing their facebook page with our comments, we started a facebook of our own with the goal of raising awareness and getting our station back.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Progressive-Talk-Radio-Back-to-Spoka...

Growth was a little slow at First, but steady. It was started by myself, and my friend Andrea. After 2 weeks we brought another administrator on board, she got the word out that we exist and we expolded. About 2 weeks ago, Our local Clear Channel affiliate, decided to shut down the interactive part of their page, and accused our group of being abusive, and claimed that we were harrasing their employees, and they scrubbed all of our comments off their page. Which was really unfortunate, because we are not guilty of any of these things, but since they scrubbed their page, their is no evidence.

Our fight goes on despite this. When we were able to get through to them, they told us that the numbers for the station just weren't that good. They said they only had 8,000 listeners. Spokane is a medium sized market, I thought 8,000 was good. The "likes" for their facebook page are at 123, which is about where it was after their disenfrachised listeners had abandoned them. Ours is currently at 185 after 5 weeks. At the very least we have displayed that more people want Progressive talk, than want Classic Country on AM radio.

I suppose what I seek from Mr. Hartmann, and the community here is a few things. 1) What can we do to find a new station and get them interested in filling this need? 1280 KPTQ was our only Progressive talk station. Or do we keep fighting to get 1280 KPTQ to flip back? 2) I know that Thom is also on a lot of non-commercial and non-profit stations, how to we get him on one of ours? I appreciate any and all feedback from the community here. Thank you. -Melvin Mausoleum

melvinmausoleum's picture
melvinmausoleum

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.