Thom Bullies Marcus Bachman

4 posts / 0 new

Thom,

You rightfully denounced Romney today, May 10th, for his thuggish gang attack on a long haired fellow high school student. And you denounced Romney for taunting another student, a gay boy, by calling out “atta girl” when the student answered questions in class. Yet within minutes you copy Romney’s bullying practices with a hateful, mean-spirited attack on Marcus Bachman for his physical appearance. Do you think Dr. Bachman has no feelings? He was not at issue. He did not deserve to be attacked in this way. You need to absorb some information from “It Gets Better.” It gives advice that is applicable to the way to treat any person, not just a LGBT person. You have an excellent show when you confine yourself to discussion of policies and ideas. You do not need to use ad hominem attacks.

dougsanders's picture
dougsanders

Comments

Marcus Bachman is a quack who practices what's known as "repairative therapy". He attempts to "pray away the gay". In doing so he uses methods that have been thoroughly discredited and can potentially be very, very harmful to the patient. The old closet queer deserves whatever abuse he gets. I don't know who you are to invoke the "it gets better" camapign but I, myself, am a gay man who suffered through his teen years at a time when homosexuality was still considered a mental disorder. Those dark days are over and if Marcus Bachman thinks it's a good idea to revive them then he is deserving of ridicule, scorn and, yes, even torment. Maybe he'll think twice about subjecting others to unnecessary defamation if he gets a taste of what it's like.

mdhess's picture
mdhess

dmhess,

You write “I don't know who you are to invoke the 'it gets better' camapign?” I am simply a fellow human being who tries to apply a Golden Rule of “Do unto others as you would do unto yourself” and who does not like to see others bullied and called hateful names. The “It Gets Better” campaign supports that. Dr. Bachman’s therapy may be, as you believe, entirely mistaken and misdirected; but my point was that neither he nor his appearance nor his therapy were at issue. The issue was Michelle Bachman’s application for Swiss citizenship. If Thom wished to discuss Marcus Bachman’s theories, his taxes, or anything else do so, but leave gratuitous remarks about Dr. Bachman’s appearance and name calling out of it.

I am sorry that you suffered during your teen years for being a homosexual. I hope you were not bullied and called names by others. Dr. Bachman’s ideas should be debated, but he himself does not deserve ridicule, scorn, and torment. He should not be bullied as “the old closet queer.” Stereotyping and name calling add nothing to civil discourse.

dougsanders's picture
dougsanders

If the gay individual wants to get cured why is that wrong as long as he is not forced i see nothing wromng with that. What am I missing?

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

Currently Chatting

The GOP war on workers has killed again...

It’s time to stop the conservative's war on working people in America.

Since the birth of our nation, conservatives have always been wary of average working-class Americans having too much political or economic power. John Adams, the second President of the United States and a Federalist (precursor to today’s Republicans), was very wary of the working class, which he referred to as “the rabble.”