Top 10 Reasons I Stand With Walker

27 posts / 0 new

Top 10 Reasons I Stand With Scott Walker:

10: I stand with Walker because schoolchildren and teachers are Wisconsin’s biggest problem. I support Walker’s $1.6 billion in cuts to public education because I don’t think our children deserve the best possible education.

9: I stand with Walker because I don’t believe in public hunting rights. I support his decision to impose a Texas Deer Czar over our state, who is working to privatize hunting in Wisconsin and profitize access to our public lands.

8: I stand with Walker because I hate Milwaukee. I support his efforts to divide and conquer the State’s electorate by trashing Milwaukee, our largest and most prosperous city.

7: I stand with Walker because I believe in restricting voting rights. I support his efforts to impose voter ID laws, despite no evidence to support his accusations of voter fraud and ample evidence to suggest minority, college, elderly and urban voters will be disenfranchised.

6: I stand with Walker because I don’t support workers. We don’t believe workers should have a say regarding workplace safety, benefits, compensation, or working conditions.

5: I stand with Walker because I support his confidential financial donors from Texas, Florida and New York. I am proud to have a governor who is gathers 70% of his campaign funds from Out of State and beholden to a handful of unknown, out of state billionaires, instead of the People of Wisconsin.

4: I stand with Walker because I don’t like working women. I support his decision to repeal the law outlawing gender based pay discrimination in Wisconsin; working women are just too demanding and don’t deserve as much as working men.

3: I stand with Walker because I support job losses. I am proud to live in the State with the worst job record in the nation; I look forward to a shrinking job market in our state.

2: I stand with Walker because I think our troops have been given enough. I support his decision to cut veterans benefits by 30 million dollars and to slash funding to help homeless vets.

1: I stand with Walker because I want to stand with him as he faces trail. Numerous Walker Aides and Appointees have been charged with felonies or have agreed to plead guilty to lesser charges; Walker is the next shoe to drop and has already spent $160,000 on criminal defense. I am excited to vote for a potential felon and the only governor with a criminal defense fund.

If you don’t like this list, then its time to take Wisconsin back from the toxic, divide and conquer politics imposed over Wisconsin by the Right-wing. Vote for Tom Barrett or just stay home.

If you like this list, be prepared to own these policies, because you advocate for them at the ballot box.

UnWise_Owl's picture
UnWise_Owl

Comments

Well stated.

delete jan in iowa

I will vote against Scott Walker because I want Wisconsin to go down the same path towards financial ruin as Illinois.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

Yeah, financial ruin in Illinois. Which state has the worst job growth?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

in 2009 Wisconsin was ranked 21 out of 50 of the highest median household income . They were a "Blue" state at that time. It will be curious to see where they rank after 2012 or 2013.

In recent history 90% of the top 25 States in median household income are "Blue" states and 90% of the bottom 25 States in median household income are "Red" states.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

March 1, 2011 4:12 PM

States with Best & Worst Job Growth

By
Carla Fried

Here's the good news: Job growth in February rose to its highest level in two and half years, according to Gallup pollsters. But you might want to curb your enthusiasm a bit: Even with the uptick, the pace of new jobs creation is less than half the rate back in January 2008. Add in yesterday's estimate from economist Mark Zandi that the Republican's proposed federal budget cuts could cost us 700,000 jobs and we're not exactly out of the unemployment woods.

Still, the latest jobs report card is mildly encouraging, and offers some guidance for job hunters. Gallup's survey asks individuals whether their employer is hiring or firing. In February, 30 percent of respondents said the boss was adding new jobs, and 18 percent reported more firing. That net +12 reading isn't anywhere near enough to make a sizable dent in the 9 percent unemployment rate - but it sure is better than the -1 reading from last January and the -5 in March 2009.

Dig a layer below the national data and you get a far more nuanced picture of where the opportunities are.

States with the Best Job Growth
For all of 2010, the states with the best net reading of job hiring minus job firing reports were:

• North Dakota (+ 29)
  • D.C. (+25)
  • South Dakota (+21)
  • Alaska (+19)
  • Arkansas (+17)

The presence of North Dakota and Alaska is an argument for acquiring some natural resource-related skills, as both states are riding the big jump in energy demand. That's a trend that isn't likely to abate in 2011, given the turmoil in the Mideast. Resource-rich Texas (+ 14 ) and Oklahoma (+14) also show up in the top 10.

But don't expect the District of Columbia to stay at the top of the list. According to the Bureau of Labor statistics, about one-third of the 22,000 increase in D.C employment last year was government jobs. With federal payrolls clearly on the legislative chopping block, D.C. could have a hard time holding onto its top spot.

States with the Worst Job Growth

• Nevada (-6)
  • New Jersey (-2)
  • California (0)
  • Oregon (+2)
  • Connecticut (+2)

Nevada's continuing economic woes (unemployment is running at 14.5 percent) are pretty closely tied to the continuing real estate slump. About 70 percent of the state's employment losses in 2010 occurred in the construction sector http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-41142183/states-with-best--worst-job-growth/

camaroman's picture
camaroman

I live in South Dakota.....Please! Almost every job available is minimum wage. There is always job growth here because there's nowhere to go but up. I bet we could make Wisconsin NUMBER 1 in job growth in the country. Offer millions of minimum wage jobs. Job growth will explode. Median income will drop like a rock but let's not get picky. It's about jobs, not good paying jobs.

Have you ever noticed that the States where the government is in positive financial position the wages are very low and the States where the government is struggling financially the wages are much better. Walker will make the government books look sweet at the expense of his citizens. Let's face it, he's beholding to more people outside of the state of Wisconsin than he is of the citizens within it.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Reason #5!

UnWise_Owl's picture
UnWise_Owl
Quote Bush_Wacker:

in 2009 Wisconsin was ranked 21 out of 50 of the highest median household income . They were a "Blue" state at that time. It will be curious to see where they rank after 2012 or 2013.

In recent history 90% of the top 25 States in median household income are "Blue" states and 90% of the bottom 25 States in median household income are "Red" states.

Much of Wisconsins job losses are in the timber, pulp, and paper industry. These jobs were plentiful and high paying up to about ten years ago. Low demand for timber building products and the totally destroyed paper industry have caused many mills, and related companies, to close and no governor, republican or democrat had any control over this decline.

THISAA's picture
THISAA
Quote THISAA:Much of Wisconsins job losses are in the timber, pulp, and paper industry.

Good start... there are much better alternatives and job opportunity, not jobettes. Outsourcing shut down the factories. Still way to much demand for inferior tree products and the long run cost of using them. Again proving GOPerverts would rather give away American money and jobs to international wallmart crude oil plastic products. Jobettes and scab disposable labor rather than produce it here, using quality materials, paying living wages and family health care. All I want is to see walker literally run out on a rail, then tarred and feathered in public. It's Traditional, conservatudes should dig it. If they ever take their heads out of the dirt they would see what they are doing to their own neighbors probably isn't something they appreciate. When Walker is brought to Justice, will the lapdog followers be far behind? Glory Days... Use veggie oil tar...

Industrial Use of Trees vs Hemp

Industrial Hemp Q&A

ECONOMICS: Energy, Environment and Commerce
We predict that the net effect of ending American hemp prohibition will be to generate “ripple effect” economics — a revitalized American agriculture producing hemp as the raw material for a multitude of industries creating millions of good jobs for skilled and and semi-skilled professional workers throughout America.

Hemp Is Not Pot: It's the Economic Stimulus and Green Jobs Solution We Need
We can make over 25,000 things with it. Farmers love it. Environmentalists love it. You can't get high from it. So why is it still illegal? But with a North American market that exceeds $300 million in annual retail sales and continued rising demand, industrial hemp could generate thousands of sustainable new jobs, helping America to get back on track.

What's better for Wisconson jobs?
Hemp Beer, Wine, Vodka, Brandy, Rum, Cider, And For Tea Totallers, Hemp Ice Tea

Growing Jobs in Colorado
Agricultural Hemp Initiative

Hemp is Serious Business
Producers of industrial hemp are poised to meet growing demand for the straitlaced and useful cousin of the mind-altering weed.

The Canadian Experience
As of June 21, 2011, Health Canada issued 296 licences to grow industrial hemp for the 2011 growing season. That’s up from 290 in 2010 and 184 in 2009. (Licences must be renewed each year.) - There are 38 approved varieties of hemp for 2011, up from 34 in 2010 and 29 in 2009. - A total of 3.98 million kilograms of hemp products worth $10.38-million were exported in 2010, up from 1.82 million kilograms worth $8.09-million in 2009.
Sources: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Health Canada, Manitoba Agriculture, Statscan, Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance

Colorado HB-1099 is on its way to the Governor’s Desk!

Hemp For Jobs: KC Hempfest 2011
With unemployment rates at near record levels, and the economy doing as poorly as it is," KC NORML Board Member Greg Terry said, "we wanted to take the opportunity available to us to let citizens know that there is money to be made from the production of hemp and the legalization of marijuana."

Hemp: The Trillion Dollar Crop
Hydrocarbons vs Carbohydrates: The continuing battle in the United States
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance
Vegetable matter and minerals have competed with each other to become the dominant industrial input for almost 200 years. For the first 150 years, significant advances occurred in the use of both types of material. Then, for a quarter of a century after World War II, hydrocarbons took over almost completely but since the 1980s, carbohydrate-derived industrial products have been sweeping back as a result of technological and political developments.

Hemcrete: Smoking Hot Walls 7 Times Tougher Than Concrete

DdC's picture
DdC

double post

DdC's picture
DdC

Quote mauiman58:

I will vote against Scott Walker because I want Wisconsin to go down the same path towards financial ruin as Illinois.

I don't know what's going on in Illinois, but gee... would ANY state have fiscal problems if Bush and your precious GOP didn't implode the economy? It's amusing how the Right so maligned that Stimulus spending when so much of it went to prop up states... even the red states who took the money and pretended they didn't… or worst, GOP governors who pretended they balanced their budgets on their own.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

He stands up to public sector unions !

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

Quote CollegeConservative:

He stands up to public sector unions !

There's a difference between "standing up to" and seeking to destroy unions. And the sad truth you're ignoring is your precious Right has been going after ALL labor. The Right LOVES cheap labor that can be exploited... and sadly some corporate Dems have gone along with NAFTA, GATT etc.

It's not that public employees ever got that much. It's that the Right's war on workers paid off in decreasing their benefits resulting in the public sector looking bad. And where once many private sector workers had defined benefit pensions like the public sector... those pensions have been replaced by IRAs which are turning out to be a disaster for retirees. They are retail products laced with fees, and subject to market trends while old-style pension managers had the heft to bargain for reductions in rates and these managers had a fiduciary responsibility to the retirees. They were able to deal with the ups and downs of the market.

But feel free to tell us fairy tales about how the Right wants to turn over the SS money to Wall Street… and these sociopathic predators will suddenly changes their stripes and work in the interest of the average citizen!

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

How bout public sector unions should have no right to exist if you choose to serve in public service you are going to subject to the whims of the public. If they need you to start to paying part of your benefits so be it you serve the public.

CollegeConservative

How bout public sector unions should have no right to exist if you choose to serve in public service you are going to subject to the whims of the public. If they need you to start to paying part of your benefits so be it you serve the public.

As usual, I don't know what planet you live on. City workers in my town don't get freebies. Never heard of deferred compensation? Odd since it's an old and widely accepted practice. [quote]
Deferred compensation is an arrangement in which a portion of an employee's income is paid out at a date after which that income is actually earned. Examples of deferred compensation include pensions, retirement plans....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_compensation[/quote] So what's your next objection to public unions? I'm sure the list will never end even as the excuses get more and more lame.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Then why have we seen massive protests of walkertrying to get teachers pay for half the benifiets they receive. Before walkers reforms the average compensation for a teacher in the state of Wisconsin was 70k with benefits. And they only pay for 30 of these benifiets such as insurance and pension.

CollegeConservative

Then why have we seen massive protests of walkertrying to get teachers pay for half the benifiets they receive. Before walkers reforms the average compensation for a teacher in the state of Wisconsin was 70k with benefits. And they only pay for 30 of these benefits such as insurance and pension.

Leaving aside the fact you have no source to verify your claim... you're back in your Orwellian Land, oblivious to your own contradiction. You first complained
If they need you to start to paying part of your benefits so be it you serve the public.
yet according to you they ARE paying part of those benefits. Whether 50% is more fair depends on whether that 20% was deferred compensation to begin with. Also an issue is whether the retirement fund is actuarially sound or not. More contributions or adjustments in retirement age or benefit levels then are justified. If all you listen to are right wing sources, they will gloss over such details.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

I have the link boomarked on my homecomputer I'll post it tonight.

CollegeConservative

Some quick number from the 2007-2009 Wisconsin Teachers contract at
http://oser.state.wi.us/docview.asp?docid=6861

Health Insurance is broken into Tiers with the Employee contribution on the left for single and family plans. Employer contribution on the right:

Tier 1... $27.00/$68.00... $31.00/$78.00

Tier 2... 60.00/150.00... 69.00/173.00

Tier 3... 143.00/358.00... 164.00/412.00

It's not clear whether this is deferred compensation but it shows there's cerainly no freebie as CC first claimed. Retirement benefits are governed more by WI law than contract law.

Section 11 Retirement

13/11/1 The Employer agrees to continue in effect the administration of the Wisconsin Retirement System as provided under Chapter 40, Wis. Stats. and the appropriate Adm. Code rules of the Employee Trust Funds Board.

13/11/2 The Employer will contribute on behalf of the employee five percent (5%) of the employee’s earnings paid by the State.

13/11/3 The Employer will contribute the one percent (1%) benefit adjustment contribution required by s. 40.05(2m), Wis. Stats.

13/11/4 Effective beginning the first pay period following the effective date of the Agreement, the Employer shall pay the additional three-tenths of one percent (0.3%) employee share of the required benefit adjustment contribution for general occupation employees.

If anyone wants to pour through this... feel free.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/40.pdf

Perhaps this article will shed some light: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/02/25/the-wisconsin-lie-exposed-taxpayers-actually-contribute-nothing-to-public-employee-pensions/ and claims employees pay ALL their retirement except if the state miscalculates and the pension fund isn't fully funded.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

much love P.

J DAILEY's picture
J DAILEY

The problem in Illinois is the unholy allaince between the public unions and the Democratic party. The state of Illinois has gotten itself in a position where it simply cannot pay the pension obligations that it gave the public unions. Even the DEMOCRATIC govenor of Illinois is being forced to put austerity measures into place that surprises even me. But he has no choice, his predecessors (all Democrats by the way) put him in such a hole that he simply has to cut benefits to the public employees, or soon the only thing the state of Illinois will have money for is to pay pensions, literally nothing else.

And the weeping and gnashing of teeth has begun here. Cuts in education, cuts in Medicare and Medicaid. And the public unions are screaming foul, asking for more revenue. Even the "temporary" 66.7% increase in state income tax isn't helping, all that's doing is driving businesses and people away. To the evil "right to work state" next door, Indiana.

If you want to see what happens when liberals and progressives get their way, look at the mess that Illinois is in. And as I understand it, California has the same problems for the same reasons. And what is govenor Moonbeam's plan to solve the problem in California. Of course, it is the age old solution to any government that has been totally irresponsible with its money, "tax the rich, they are not paying their fair share!". Meanwhile the rich, who are no dummies, are puling up stakes and moving to states that have somehow managed to keep a balanced budget with no state income tax, like Texas. It won't be long before the corrupt Democrats tax me right out of Illinois to Texas myself. Even though I hate the summer weather down there.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58
Quote mauiman58:If you want to see what happens when liberals and progressives get their way, look at the mess that Illinois is in.
Blah blah. I live in liberal Mass and we're just doing fine. It can't be that OTHER variables are at work... perhaps how free trade has destroyed jobs? For instance according to the BLS, IL lost some 300,000 manufacturing jobs since 1998 and is still about 100k lower than 2008... when the looney right wing policies YOU SUPPORT imploded not just a state but THE ENTIRE ECONOMY! Just a thought.

BLS Series Id: SMS17000003000000001
Seasonally Adjusted
State: Illinois
Area: Statewide
Supersector: Manufacturing
Industry: Manufacturing
Data Type: All Employees, In Thousands

As for the pension mess, it might be because the state constitution contains pension protection that made the system difficult to reform. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreybrown/2012/05/30/three-hard-lessons-from-illinois-public-pension-reform/ that and it was perpetually underfunded. Gee, ya think?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Good article Pierpont. Typical politicians, buying the votes of the public employees by giving them fat pension benefits, but not funding the pension plan. Now the taxpayers are stuck with the bill. Sorry buddy, that screw up is on the Dems who have been in control of Illinois for a long time.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58
Quote mauiman58:Sorry buddy, that screw up is on the Dems who have been in control of Illinois for a long time.

Running away from your own generalized claim that IL was representitive of ALL Democratic state governments without really retracting?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

What is there to retract? The Dems in Illinois bought the votes of the public unions, giving them a pension plan that the state could not afford. Way above and beyond what most of us taxpayers in the private sector get. And the guys who negotiated these contracts are long gone, and the bill is due. But the guys who negotiated the contracts in such a way to buy the union votes didn't bother to fund the massive pension obligations they created. No problem to them, they are long gone, in many cases actually collecting the fat pensions they themselves negoiated. Why I think something is wrong with that I can't imangine.

Scott Walker sees that and notices that Wisconsin is starting down the same path. He states in his campaign what he will do to prevent Wisconsin from becoming like Illinois, gets elected, and keeps his campaign promise. What a novel concept!!!!!

Yes I do understand that Mr. Walker has legal problems that ar not related to this. I do not live in Wisconsin so I do not know those details. But I do not hear anyone trying to run him out of town because of his legal problems, just the fact that he cancelled the union contract.

No, not all states run by the Dems have this problem, but look at California another state run by the Dems, some problem, same reasons.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

Quote mauiman58:What is there to retract? The Dems in Illinois bought the votes of the public unions, giving them a pension plan that the state could not afford.
Ya ya, you made a GENERALIZED CLAIM that what happened in Illinois was what happened WHENEVER Libs and Progressives "get their way"...

If you want to see what happens when liberals and progressives get their way, look at the mess that Illinois is in.
Yet we just have to scratch the surface of your claim to see there's NO evidence what happened there is something that happens everywhere. In fact IL might have special circumstances. But feel free to believe your anti-Liberal delusions are somehow connected to reality. I'm a flaming Leftist but I also consider myself a fiscal conservative who if were governor, would have tackled this problem long ago. There's a lot more evidence the past 3 decades that the GOP is engaged in more systematic fiscal irresponsibility than generic Dems.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Currently Chatting

A Rising Tide Only Lifts All Boats When Everyone Has a Boat.

President John F. Kennedy once said about economic development that “a rising tide lifts all boats.” Kennedy was, of course, right, but he missed something really, really important: A rising tide lifts only lifts all boats when everyone has a boat.