Why do we reward corruption?

17 posts / 0 new

Elliot Spitzer. Disgraced former governor of N.Y. forced out of office under scandal. Now it seems that the media outlets can't live without his "wisdom." They are lining up to throw money at him in exchange for a few comments. I don't get it. With all of the decent, honest democrats out there, why the hell is this nit-wit in such high demand? What does he offer that a non corrupt person does not? When I see him, I immediatly change the channel. His words are not worthy of my ears. They are rewarding corruption. Go away Spitzer.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Comments

Perhaps people don't think that his sexual experiences invalidate his opinions about other things. Some people still think Newt Gingrich has things to say about politics that are worth listening to. Go figure. I don't think that either person spends any time talking about sexual infidelity.

BTW, infidelity isn't listed anywhere in the definitions of corruption that I have found.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

Perhaps people don't think that his sexual experiences invalidate his opinions about other things. Some people still think Newt Gingrich has things to say about politics that are worth listening to. Go figure. I don't think that either person spends any time talking about sexual infidelity.

BTW, infidelity isn't listed anywhere in the definitions of corruption that I have found.

BTW. Violating the law while governnor and atty general is corrupt. His act was illegal. Then he lied about it to cover his ass. Again corrupt. He lied to his wife, his family, and his constituents. Law enforcement officers set up stings to catch people like Spitzer. He spent at least $95,000 on whores. Probably not just his money either. But I get it. Accept democratic corruption, hammer republican corruption. So easy even a caveman can get it.

Spitzer reportedly had at least seven liaisons with prostitutes from the agency over six months, and paid more than $15,000 for their services. Federal agents had him under surveillance twice in 2008.[13][14][15] According to published reports, investigators believe Spitzer paid up to $80,000 for prostitutes over a period of several years — first while he was attorney general, and later as governor.[16][17][18]

Screenshot of the website of Emperors Club VIP.

The investigation was purportedly initiated after North Fork Bank[19] reported suspicious transactions to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as required by the Bank Secrecy Act. According to Newsday, Spitzer wanted to transfer more than $10,000 to a front company for the prostitution ring. However, he broke up the transactions into smaller slices due to federal law requiring the reporting of any transfer of $10,000 or more. When he tried to get his name taken off the wires, the bank refused, saying that the money had already been wired out and that it would be improper to do so in any case. The IRS's Criminal Investigation Division then began a probe, initially fearing that Spitzer was the victim of either extortion or identity theft.[20]

rigel1's picture
rigel1
BTW. Violating the law while governnor and atty general is corrupt.
Not according to the definitions of corruption that I read. "Political corruption is the use of power by government officials for illegitimate private gain.". Perhaps you are talking about "moral" corruption. Most people don't care about that when they are looking at political opinions.

Art's picture
Art

You are so wrong it is not funny.

Spitzer was going after the banks - the very globalists you despise.

He obviously broke a law - prostitution - and so what? In Nevada it's legal and should be legal everywhere else.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ
Quote Art:
BTW. Violating the law while governnor and atty general is corrupt.
Not according to the definitions of corruption that I read. "Political corruption is the use of power by government officials for illegitimate private gain.". Perhaps you are talking about "moral" corruption. Most people don't care about that when they are looking at political opinions.

I GET IT!

Since he is a liberal your standards for him are very, very low. You let him off on any technicality you can find.

Okay he's a law breaker, he's a liar but he's not corrupt. Hell why did they drive such a good man out of office. Make s no sense.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

He just happened to be targeted by the bankers. There are many in congress today that have been guilty of much worse than Spitzer but they aren't "crossing the line with the powers that be". Hell, a lot of it is public record and nobody cares. The fact that you keep seeing Spitzer tells me that a lot of people know how really intelligent he is in the political world. I don't keep tuning into the tv and finding Weiner on every channel.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote rigel1:

I GET IT!

Since he is a liberal your standards for him are very, very low. You let him off on any technicality you can find.

Okay he's a law breaker, he's a liar but he's not corrupt. Hell why did they drive such a good man out of office. Make s no sense.

You're telling me you are in favor of laws against prostitution? I thought you were a real conservative or near-libertarian.

He has far more integrity than most Congressmen, Republicans or Democrats. Same with Frank on a similiar issue.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Or the recently re- elected Sen. David "Diapers" Vitter, and his long term relationships with many hookers. That illegal use of hookers forces Democrats from office is a given, Republicans it is ok.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

I have been trained to write Suspicious Activity Reports.

I don't want to reveal where I was trained to do that...

I've heard Mr. Hartmann speculate that the idea Spitzer was caught by one of these reports was suspicious by nature.

It's "possible" that a S.A.R. was filled out in order to "get" him. But more than likely not.

See... it is UNLAWFUL for ANYONE to tell a worker who has the S.A.R. capability to fill one out, NOT to do it! It's also UNLAWFUL for ANYONE to influence a person who thinks that a S.A.R. should be filled out on someone. Their thinking is, "Who's to say what's 'suspicious' and what's not 'suspicious'?" They would much rather you fill one out and "waste" their time than for you NOT to fill one out and "miss" something.

I think that people have enough problems without the government coming down on them. So I have NEVER filled out a S.A.R.!

So if Fletcher Christian came across Spitzer's shady record keeping... I am 99% sure that I would have let it slip by.

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Spitzer was on Meet the Press yesterday. He was GREAT! He had to sit next to Mary Matelin. I don't think I would have been able to do it. I didn't think about his sexual infidelities once. Fortunately, I didn't think about Mary Matelin having sex with anybody, either.

Art's picture
Art
Quote rigel1:

Elliot Spitzer. Disgraced former governor of N.Y. forced out of office under scandal. Now it seems that the media outlets can't live without his "wisdom." They are lining up to throw money at him in exchange for a few comments. I don't get it. With all of the decent, honest democrats out there, why the hell is this nit-wit in such high demand? What does he offer that a non corrupt person does not? When I see him, I immediatly change the channel. His words are not worthy of my ears. They are rewarding corruption. Go away Spitzer.

What banks use fractional reserve banking, destroy the US economy and get $$ Trillions in bailouts and bonuses.

When kakistocracies are in charge evil thrives.

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat

We elect politicians-not popes.

lovecraft
We elect politicians-not popes.
I totally missed the connection. What are you talking about?

Art's picture
Art
Quote rigel1:

BTW. Violating the law while governnor and atty general is corrupt. His act was illegal.

BTW, there is a distinct difference between a crime and corruption. Corruption is a crime, but not all crimes are corruption. With your "logic" reckless driving would be considered corruption.

spicoli's picture
spicoli

Personally, I don't care about politicians sexual adventures as long as they don't involve animals or underage kids. I judge them by their effectiveness as leaders. Otherwise, you end up sounding like the Moral majority or evangelicals when choosing politicians.

lovecraft

Corruption seems to run mostly with dumbocrat pols:

Dodd, D-Conn

Ensign, R-Nev , opps I guess there on in every crowd.

Frank, D-Mass

Geithner, Holder

Illinois State Rep Jesse Jackson JR, D

PELOSI, D-Calif

Murtha, D-PA

Rangel, D-NY

And guess who tops the list?

http://www.wnd.com/2009/12/120407/

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Currently Chatting

What will it take to go green?

In the wake of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan, that nation embraced more solar and wind and took a hard look at nuclear power. Apparently, it's going to take a similar disaster in our nation to get the United States to make the switch to green energy.