Why I'm Voting Republican In the Future

142 posts / 0 new

I am a white 55 year old male who has lived in SoCal since 1969. So my experiences can only reflect what happened in this area. I've examined the past 40 years and decided it was time to stop voting against my own interests. All the altruism in the world doesn't matter if you are not receiving help like others.

I was always pro affirmative action. I found that in the 80's I couldn't get any civil service jobs regardless of test scores because of affirmative action and vet preferences. Even as late as 2010, I got work a year later than vets with lower test scores in the Census Bureau. If you go to any state office here like DMV, you can count the white male employees with one hand. These turned out to be pretty cushy jobs. None of the the 8 times I was let go or fired would have happened under civil service rules. Even now with layoffs, they got to work an additional 2-4 years than private sector workers like me who were laid off in 2008. Plus if I had gotten a civil service job in the 80's, I would have had the seniority to avoid layoffs now. Civil Service is also the opposite of the private sector since seniority keeps your job in govt while being the higher paid in the private sector gets you laid off 1st.

I was raised by a single mother and supported women's lib(remember that anyone?). In 1990, I was laid off by a woman supervisor while I was out for a month on disability. Yet, this past year I have had 2 female relatives out for 6 weeks on disability while it was illegal for them to lose their jobs. In 1994, I hurt my back and was out for a month on disability again. The company I was with had a policy of paying female employees their full pay while out on pregnancy disability. I filed a complaint with the EEOC saying that was discriminatory and I should receive the same as a male. The female EEOC staff and attorney said I had a good point but they would not pursue it and would not provide me with the right to sue letter I needed to file my own suit.

In 2000, the Clinton Justice Dept filed suit against me for a 1984 $2500 student loan that I had defaulted on in 1987 after paying off about half before I ran into financial problems. They had retroactively changed the law so I could not go BK on it. I had to sell my car and they settled for $2000. Now, students are going to get their student loans forgiven at taxpayer expense. (You wait and see-its coming from the wave of the mortgage bailouts.)

Now, as a long term unemployed 55 year old white male, there are no programs for me. I am one of the ones the pundits say are permanently out of the job market. Vets are getting publicity and job programs. The recent graduates are getting publicity about jobs and loans. I didn't buy a house I couldn't afford-no mortgage bailout.

There, my liberal friends, lies your dilemma. According to Prof. Jonathan Haidt, conservatives feel strongly about fairness. I can now see the problem with the govt picking winners. You lose the support of the losers-can you blame them? If you made an affordable home purchase and kept up your payments-LOSER. If not, you get a $100K loan reduction-WINNER. Or get a loan mod to limit payments to 31% of your income. If you are a renter paying 50% of your income-LOSER. If you have large credit card debt or medical bills-no bailout-LOSER. If you don't make payments on car, appliance or other credit purchase-you get repo'd. If you don't pay back your student loan-keep your degree and get loan forgiveness. If you or your parents saved and worked and paid your college loans and expenses-LOSER.

So Obama will get all the WINNERS vote-but did he pick enough? All us LOSERS or people who care about fairness have no reason to vote again for him. Can I be any more unemployed under Romney? Who will the new winners be next year when another recession hits here-not me. So, when I get my $100K bailout check, I will vote for Obama and even tattoo his name on my ass. Until then, I'm voting repub even though it doesn't matter much here in CA. Hey repubs-need any paid workers?

lovecraft

Comments

Here another reason to vote Republican

"Why I am voting republican"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQJ9Xp0xxU

Recovering conservative2's picture
Recovering cons...

Ron Paul Republican or Globalist-Republican ?

Yes there is a difference.

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat

Whoever's on the ballot with an R by their name. Doesn't matter much here in CA though-strongly demo.

lovecraft

I hate to hear that lovecraft. I don't blame you, you fought the good fight. While reading your op I couldn't help but sympathize for I too, ran some of the gauntlet that you speak of. People like you and I have paved the way for those younger than us. I'm not going to give up the fight for what's right however. I've lived too hard of a life for too long to turn back now. There are still many grave injustices in the world and unfortunately the republican party is behind a vast majority of them. It is the HARD right and the HARD left that create most of the havoc in our lives. Anything left or right of center but not too far off of center seems to "progress" toward something better. While the far right or far left only "seem" to be progressive they are really just treading ground and tearing up everything beneath them. Good Luck.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

If I wasn't facing hardship and struggle for the rest of my life-I'd fight the good fight too. But it's time to be realistic and practical.

lovecraft

I am not a republican nor a democrat. I voted republican in the primary to vote for Ron Paul. Ir he is not on the ballot in the general election, I will write him in. I didn't vote for Obama nor did I vote for McCain.

Obama and Romney are both establishment schills.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote lovecraft:

I am a white 55 year old male who has lived in SoCal since 1969. So my experiences can only reflect what happened in this area. I've examined the past 40 years and decided it was time to stop voting against my own interests. All the altruism in the world doesn't matter if you are not receiving help like others.

I was always pro affirmative action. I found that in the 80's I couldn't get any civil service jobs regardless of test scores because of affirmative action and vet preferences. Even as late as 2010, I got work a year later than vets with lower test scores in the Census Bureau. If you go to any state office here like DMV, you can count the white male employees with one hand. These turned out to be pretty cushy jobs. None of the the 8 times I was let go or fired would have happened under civil service rules. Even now with layoffs, they got to work an additional 2-4 years than private sector workers like me who were laid off in 2008. Plus if I had gotten a civil service job in the 80's, I would have had the seniority to avoid layoffs now. Civil Service is also the opposite of the private sector since seniority keeps your job in govt while being the higher paid in the private sector gets you laid off 1st.

I was raised by a single mother and supported women's lib(remember that anyone?). In 1990, I was laid off by a woman supervisor while I was out for a month on disability. Yet, this past year I have had 2 female relatives out for 6 weeks on disability while it was illegal for them to lose their jobs. In 1994, I hurt my back and was out for a month on disability again. The company I was with had a policy of paying female employees their full pay while out on pregnancy disability. I filed a complaint with the EEOC saying that was discriminatory and I should receive the same as a male. The female EEOC staff and attorney said I had a good point but they would not pursue it and would not provide me with the right to sue letter I needed to file my own suit.

In 2000, the Clinton Justice Dept filed suit against me for a 1984 $2500 student loan that I had defaulted on in 1987 after paying off about half before I ran into financial problems. They had retroactively changed the law so I could not go BK on it. I had to sell my car and they settled for $2000. Now, students are going to get their student loans forgiven at taxpayer expense. (You wait and see-its coming from the wave of the mortgage bailouts.)

Now, as a long term unemployed 55 year old white male, there are no programs for me. I am one of the ones the pundits say are permanently out of the job market. Vets are getting publicity and job programs. The recent graduates are getting publicity about jobs and loans. I didn't buy a house I couldn't afford-no mortgage bailout.

There, my liberal friends, lies your dilemma. According to Prof. Jonathan Haidt, conservatives feel strongly about fairness. I can now see the problem with the govt picking winners. You lose the support of the losers-can you blame them? If you made an affordable home purchase and kept up your payments-LOSER. If not, you get a $100K loan reduction-WINNER. Or get a loan mod to limit payments to 31% of your income. If you are a renter paying 50% of your income-LOSER. If you have large credit card debt or medical bills-no bailout-LOSER. If you don't make payments on car, appliance or other credit purchase-you get repo'd. If you don't pay back your student loan-keep your degree and get loan forgiveness. If you or your parents saved and worked and paid your college loans and expenses-LOSER.

So Obama will get all the WINNERS vote-but did he pick enough? All us LOSERS or people who care about fairness have no reason to vote again for him. Can I be any more unemployed under Romney? Who will the new winners be next year when another recession hits here-not me. So, when I get my $100K bailout check, I will vote for Obama and even tattoo his name on my ass. Until then, I'm voting repub even though it doesn't matter much here in CA. Hey repubs-need any paid workers?

In music, there exist "themes and variations." Your letter is a variation on an old theme of assembled GOP talking points, always presented as an anecdotal, isolated, personal case by any individual put up to writing same. It's a first-person variation of the "I know a guy/woman who..., etc.," and those are seldom credible. I suspect yours is such a missive because it anecdotally touches on all the talking points prevalent in reactionary arguments, presenting each one as your personal account of it as "victim" of liberal/progressive actions and/or policies.

On the million-to-one off-chance that you're legit, I'd almost like to see the GOP win it all and run the country the rest of the way down the shitter, except that those of us who know better would get dragged along with you for the bad ride. If there were some way I could throw you on the tender mercies of your GOP friends without suffering any damage myself, you can bet everything you own that I'd do that in a New York Second!

If you are, in fact, legit, and you're not already rich or financially secure, and they do, in fact, take it all, I'll sleep better knowing that you're going to be educated the hard way as to just how bad they are for both the country and yourself. I'd pay a pile of money if I could somehow witness the dawning of any real social and economic consciousness in that reactionary brain of yours, as such consciousness will inevitably be precursed by your increased deprivation under their policies.

Based on your personal situation, as you've laid it out above, just what is it that you think the GOP will do for you to make things better?

So, if you're a plant, Up Yours.

If you're legit, Good Luck. You'll need it.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

If I was going to write a fictionalized account, I would have made it better. I was always accused of being a plant on the Randi Rhodes board too. Whether a valid point comes from the right or left-does it matter? You should understand I was a liberal hippie in the 70's. My life experience has made me more aware of the good intentioned but mistaken policies of the hard liberal left. Here in CA, I've watched the great liberal experiment and its many failings. Again, these were my experiences in SoCAL. Maybe affirmative action wasn't so overwhelming in other states. Also, I never used the word victim. I prefer the game terminology of winners and losers. Would I not be labeled a reactionary if I used the term govt beneficiary instead so it doesn't sound like a talking point. If the repubs do such a bad job when they are elected-won't they be voted out the next election and people would no longer question what repub rule will be like-though not much different on many fronts from recent demo rule. What's the point of 4 more years of a split presidency and Congress? Let someone take charge and get a shot at running the train off the tracks.

lovecraft
Quote lovecraft:

If I was going to write a fictionalized account, I would have made it better. I was always accused of being a plant on the Randi Rhodes board too. Whether a valid point comes from the right or left-does it matter? You should understand I was a liberal hippie in the 70's. My life experience has made me more aware of the good intentioned but mistaken policies of the hard liberal left. Here in CA, I've watched the great liberal experiment and its many failings. Again, these were my experiences in SoCAL. Maybe affirmative action wasn't so overwhelming in other states. Also, I never used the word victim. I prefer the game terminology of winners and losers. Would I not be labeled a reactionary if I used the term govt beneficiary instead so it doesn't sound like a talking point. If the repubs do such a bad job when they are elected-won't they be voted out the next election and people would no longer question what repub rule will be like-though not much different on many fronts from recent demo rule. What's the point of 4 more years of a split presidency and Congress? Let someone take charge and get a shot at running the train off the tracks.

This pretty much confirms that you are a plant.

And if the GOP would be no less unsatisfactory, why bother to change? Rather than vote GOP, why not just stay home? You wouldn't be any worse off, would you?

Get lost.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

[quote=camaroman]

I am not a republican nor a democrat. I voted republican in the primary to vote for Ron Paul. Ir he is not on the ballot in the general election, I will write him in. I didn't vote for Obama nor did I vote for McCain.

Obama and Romney are both establishment schills.

..and more of us are waking up to that fact.

antikakistocrat

That's too much reading for me to plow through; I may've missed it, but I don't see bit one of any mention, Lovecraft, of the many bills that got out of the House, that would've been ameliorative to your complaints, that where filibustered to death, or killed otherwise, at Mitch the bitch's behest, in The Senate.

Yammerman

There are more letters on your ballot than D or R.

Vote FOR (not hate/against) people. Find the ones that best represent what you believe in.

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321
Quote lovecraft: I am a white 55 year old male who has lived in SoCal since 1969. ...

Well, whatever. If you want to debate something some time, then let me know, get some facts together.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

I think I remember you from the Randi Rhodes board. I always got called a plant when I brought up points people didn't want to answer. You remind me of the old lawyer saying.

If the facts are against you-argue the law.

If the law is against you-argue the facts.

If both the facts and law are against you-pound the table.

Calling someone a plant is pounding the table.

lovecraft

An Open Letter to Democratic and Republican Voters

Our dear slaves,

We, the Rothschilds and Rockefellers of the world, extend our heartfelt thanks to the tens of millions of mainline Democrats and mainline Republicans out there who make up the bulk of the American electorate.

First and foremost, thank you for the trillions in extortion “bailout” money, and for continuing to vote for one or the other of the two political parties that jointly gave us all that money at your expense.

Thank you for letting our uniformed goons grope, radiate and harass you and your loved ones (especially your children!) at the airport.

Thank you for always putting partisanship above principle.

Thank you for always winking and looking the other way (or mindlessly applauding) when "your" party does the very things you wax indignant about whenever the "other" party does them, and for being willfully blind to the moral and intellectual hypocrisy this betrays.

Thank you for never questioning the validity of the "wasted vote" argument.

Thank you for being such willing dupes for the teleprompter-reading puppets (e.g., Clinton, Bush, Obama, Romney, etc.) we put before you every election season, and for never asking them real questions.

Thank you for being so willfully stupid as to think there’s no fundamental difference between an election and a horse race, and for consequently assuming that even if the candidate you vote for supports the very policies you most passionately oppose, as long as he wins the election, you “win” as well.

Thank you for sheepishly letting our water-carrying, talking point-parroting minions in the TV "news" media dictate to you not only which issues are more important than others, but what your "choices" are on election day.

Thank you for being so ridiculously gullible that you honestly think a pro-war/pro-police state/pro-debt money/pro-NWO Democrat, on the one hand, and a pro-war/pro-police state/pro-debt money/pro-NWO Republican, on the other, represents an actual "choice."

Thank you for being so cowardly, so pathetic, and so unwilling to question the validity of your fairy-tale worldview, that -- no matter how many hardcore facts are spoon fed to you by informed truth-seekers -- you go right on clinging to the term "conspiracy theory" the way a four-year-old child clings to his teddy bear.

Thank you for having so much of your precious egos invested in the delusional fantasy that we (the ruling-class oligarchs you like to pretend don't exist) never "conspire" to engage in criminal wrongdoing, that you have to be dragged kicking and screaming (like the spoiled children you all are) into acknowleding each and every fact that points in the opposite direction.

Thank you for doing the "SIEG HEIL!" to the official story on 9/11 whenever someone criticizes either the Nazi-style police state or terroristic wars of aggression for which that official story continues to serve as the all-justifying excuse.

Thank you for spending nearly all your free time either gazing glassy-eyed at the television, playing video games, or fondling your cell phones.

Thank you for always treating politics as just another specator sport.

Thank you for being unwilling to recognize an Orwellian euphemism when you hear one (or, even better, for being blissfully ignorant of what the term euphemism even means).

And last but certainly not least, thank you for being so arrogant as to think that giggling and snickering at everything like you’re still in high school some how makes you part of our club -- and hence immune from our depopulation agenda. (News flash: it doesn't.)

Were it not for your willful ignorance, your moral and intellectul cowardice, and your childlike obsession with mindless distractions, we wouldn't be having such a laughably easy time economically ass-raping you and wrapping the Nazification of America in the American flag.

You are without question the wet dream of every totalitarian dictator who's ever lived, because there's absolutely no amount of tyranny or police state thuggery you won't sheepishly put up with as long as (a) you have TVs to gawk at and cell phones to fondle, and (b) you have someone -- anyone -- to look down your snooty little noses at.

Your increasingly and ravenously affectionate owners,

The Eight Families

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=217087.0;topicseenwww.constitutionparty.orgwww.believeinamerica.com

antikakistocrat
Quote antikakistocrat:

An Open Letter to Democratic and Republican Voters

Our dear slaves,

We, the..........

blah blah blah and more blah blah blah

Haven't you cut and pasted this before? Can't you find any new material?

delete jan in iowa

Yes but has it sunk in ?

antikakistocrat
Quote antikakistocrat:

Yes but has it sunk in ?

Here you go again..... you are very confused.... you keep thinking if we don't agree with you that we don't "get it." We get it.... we don't agree with your perspective. You have lost your ability to ADAPT and critical thinking skills.

delete jan in iowa
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote antikakistocrat:

Yes but has it sunk in ?

Here you go again..... you are very confused.... you keep thinking if we don't agree with you that we don't "get it." We get it.... we don't agree with your perspective. You have lost your ability to ADAPT and critical thinking skills.

How can he lose something he never had?.........

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter
Quote antikakistocrat:

Yes but has it sunk in ?

Bablbling about Bilderbergers or hamburgers simply detracts from research, facts and debate and political action.

The reason why I think you are a plant because instead of debating, say, raising tarriffs, you waste your time saying the right and left are the same and it's all a conspiracy. If you are not a plant, a plant would do exactly as you do.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ
Quote lovecraft:

I think I remember you from the Randi Rhodes board. I always got called a plant when I brought up points people didn't want to answer. You remind me of the old lawyer saying.

If the facts are against you-argue the law.

If the law is against you-argue the facts.

If both the facts and law are against you-pound the table.

Calling someone a plant is pounding the table.

Maybe. But transparent, disingenuous, poorly conceived attempts to appear as a sincere, thinking individual while delivering Con talking points and polemics which are nothing more than the pure emotional distillate of the disaffected, reactionary WASP male is a waste of people's time. If it's white, has feathers, an orange beak and orange webbed feet, and quacks, it's usually a duck, and it doesn't make one whit of difference whether those who've figured that out are pounding on tables or hollow logs; it's still a duck, and you're still a plant.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

Isn't your hand sore from pounding the table? When you are through pounding-feel free to address my points.

lovecraft
Quote lovecraft:

Isn't your hand sore from pounding the table? When you are through pounding-feel free to address my points.

Hold your breath...

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

This is why I'll never vote Republican ever again. Relax and watch a good documentary before you make hasty decisions.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/1932-true-history-united-states/

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

First you are kvetching about liberal policies having ruined your life for the past 40 years, except that since 1979, conservative policies have governed America. If govt employees have it better than private sector workers, then why weren't you trying to organize a union to improve your work place? No, it is easier to blame Negroes, liberals and affirmative action.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

I must have missed the news that affirmative action and vet preferences were stopped in 1979. No workplace to organize-you must have missed my statement about being unemployed. Go ahead and try and organize a private union these days-you will never seen another promotion or raise at work and will be let go at the earliest excuse. The public unions became a perversity when they started the cycle of using dues for campaign contributions to elect politicians who promised to give them great pay and benefits and so on and so on, It would be like giving your boss $100 before your review. Public employees already have civil service protection which makes them better off than private employees. Public employees should have either civil service protections or unions-not both.

lovecraft
Quote jan in iowa:

I at least put out other options like Ron Paul and Constitution Party candidates whereas all I ever see here is voting for more red-Globalist Party or blue-Globalist-Party members ? What critical thinking skills is it if we keep taking Bilderberg puppets and we keep electing them to office ?

antikakistocrat

Gee lovecraft, in line with your early rant and whine, you might add to the voting Republican, trying meth or just drinking heavily. If you can think of other forms of appealing "self-abuse" where you can "act out" your anger and resentment at all that has gone wrong for someone who has played by the rules and been for all the right things. Kids just hold their breath or hide. Or they throw tantrums, or they go deep inside and cut everyone else off.

It does seem that you have a way of finding a representative of a "favored minority" to blame. Why not blame the Neocon Supply Side attacks on unions and Middle Class wages where cause and effect correlate so much better? Who pushed the GTO that Clinton enabled? It was not the Democrats. It was certainly not the Progressives who you ignore as you put forth the libertarian utopianism of Ron Paul and Constitutional Party rhetoric. These are not serious alternatives compared to Kucinich or the Progressive Caucus, and we have not even mentioned Nader or the Greens. Coming here to act as if we were duopoly zombies who need your correction.

BTW, if you have a problem with public employee unions and politics, try the prison-industrial comples and the weapons and defense contractors for better examples than teachers. What we need is a properly funded democratic Commons instead of a privatized profit sucking ground. The people taking your American Dream apart are not the liberals. If you insist on voting for your oppressors, why not just eat a gun? It would be faster and cheaper and probably a lot less painful.

Or, you could decide to get involved to fight the powers that hold you down. That ain't affirmative action or government jobs. Others have expressed compassion and some have diagnosed trolling. I don't care. If you believe what you have posted, either get help or find a better path of self-destruction where you do less harm to others. I hope you get it together, but don't make others pay for your sickness of soul.

drc2

You've got the Ron Paul option if you don't want to vote for anymore Globalist shills.

If Ron Paul is unable to run for any reason, then there's always Virgil Goode of the Constitution Party.

Yes there are other anti-Globalist options.

No need to be caught up with the 2 shill oligarchy.

antikakistocrat

Along that line, you have scientology too.

I would suggest Green and Progressive anti-duopoly tonics instead. Reality does not hurt that much after all.

drc2

I wonder if they would get the hint if everybody just wrote their own name in on the ballot.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I understand the concept of voting for the candidate that you believe would represent your interests best, and I can understand your frustaration with what you've experienced. I don't expect to change anyone's vote with a comment on a message board (I am a 54 yr. old female and nothing could convince me to vote for a Republican), but may I ask you to consider the following: The next POTUS will likely appoint at least 2 SCOTUS justices. That would mean a hard right SCOTUS for many years to come. Are you really sure you want that? Also, Romney as vowed to sign the Paul Ryan budget if elected. This would turn Medicare into a voucher system. OK, I realize that would probably just be for people under 55, so you just made it. And I will be 55 in a couple of months, so I don't think it would apply to me. However, is that something you really want for all Americans younger than we are? I understand you couldn't be anymore unemployed, but to you really want "right to work" as the norm for the country? My feeling is that the Republicans would have a large "poor working class" with many Americans living lifestyles similar to the poor in China and India now, so happy to have any job they will work for next to nothing. Think I'm using scare tactics, more and more people are working harder for smaller wages already. Can you reach inside and care enough about what might happen under a Republican regime to reconsider? By the way, I am over 50 and long term unemployed also. I don't blame Obama and the Dems.

anniek401's picture
anniek401

The Conservative justices won't be retiring under a demo president. The repubs were smart and appointed young justices who would be on the court for a long time. They locked up the court for a generation. The important election for SCOTUS was 2000. The end result is the same whether decisions are 5-4 or 6-3.

lovecraft
Quote lovecraft:

The Conservative justices won't be retiring under a demo president. The repubs were smart and appointed young justices who would be on the court for a long time. They locked up the court for a generation. The important election for SCOTUS was 2000. The end result is the same whether decisions are 5-4 or 6-3.

Life is incredibly unpredictable.

Better the hedge the bet with a the re-election of a Democratic President.

delete jan in iowa

Not enough to take off my Romney for President sticker. Where's my $100K bailout check? Heck-Obama won't even stop raiding CA marijuana clinics. Since life is incredibly unpredictable-why not give Romney a shot? He may surprise you.

lovecraft

annie, " I understand you couldn't be anymore unemployed, but to you really want "right to work" as the norm for the country? My feeling is that the Republicans would have a large "poor working class" with many Americans living lifestyles similar to the poor in China and India now, so happy to have any job they will work for next to nothing. Think I'm using scare tactics, more and more people are working harder for smaller wages already. Can you reach inside and care enough about what might happen under a Republican regime to reconsider? By the way, I am over 50 and long term unemployed also. I don't blame Obama and the Dems."

I am neither republicn nor democrat, but to place all the blame on the repubs is thypical of liberal wrongheaded thinking. Both parties are controlled by an elite and they are to blame for thr destruction of the middleclass. I live in Texas, that is a right to work state and we are doing way better than most other states especially financially and have no state income tax. I blame Bush, I blame the repubs, I blame Obama, I blame the dems, but mostly I blame their corporate/bankster puppetmasters.

Round three of the bailout of the too big to fail banksters by the federal reserve (ie taxpayers) is on its way!!!

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote lovecraft:

Not enough to take off my Romney for President sticker. Where's my $100K bailout check? Heck-Obama won't even stop raiding CA marijuana clinics. Since life is incredibly unpredictable-why not give Romney a shot? He may surprise you.

He has "Mittnesia," the convenient memory loss that it was Bush, Paulsen and crew who did the banking bailout, not Obama, and that the money the car companies got from Obama was all paid back with interest on Obama's watch. "Mittnesia" dictates that its victims ignore the fact that Bush & Co. caused the problems necessary for any bailouts at all, and that they were merely the culmination of 30 years of Reaganomics come to fruition. Like most of these mutants, this one's a plant who probably personally just can't stand to see a black guy in the White House, so it's easier to have "Mittnesia."

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses
Quote camaroman:

annie, " I understand you couldn't be anymore unemployed, but to you really want "right to work" as the norm for the country? My feeling is that the Republicans would have a large "poor working class" with many Americans living lifestyles similar to the poor in China and India now, so happy to have any job they will work for next to nothing. Think I'm using scare tactics, more and more people are working harder for smaller wages already. Can you reach inside and care enough about what might happen under a Republican regime to reconsider? By the way, I am over 50 and long term unemployed also. I don't blame Obama and the Dems."

I am neither republicn nor democrat, but to place all the blame on the repubs is thypical of liberal wrongheaded thinking. Both parties are controlled by an elite and they are to blame for thr destruction of the middleclass. I live in Texas, that is a right to work state and we are doing way better than most other states especially financially and have no state income tax. I blame Bush, I blame the repubs, I blame Obama, I blame the dems, but mostly I blame their corporate/bankster puppetmasters.

Round three of the bailout of the too big to fail banksters by the federal reserve (ie taxpayers) is on its way!!!

The difference between the Dems and the GOP, while small, is pronounced: The GOP doesn't care if you starve, while the Dems will see to it that you get half a loaf. Think about it.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

Reading through this, I can't help but think of "All in the Family" because it sounds like Archie Bunker's arguments all over again.

Assuming your story is real, then you have a legitimate beef. Welcome to the 99%. However, your conclusions are are as misguided as Archie Bunker's were 40 years ago.

It's not the "brown" people, labor unions, or liberals that are screwing you. They're just as screwed as you. But everyone sees their own misfortune disproportionately to everyone else's. In other words, those non-whites working at the DMV are probably struggling just as much as you are.

What you're experiencing is the problem with a two-party system and the selling out of those two parties. Rather than moving to the left, they've both shifted to the right. Many Democrats believe the way to get elected is to run as a conservative-lite candidate. They're also just as susceptible to threats and bribes as anyone else. Meanwhile, the Republican party has completely sold out to corporate interests.

Unless you're in the 1%, switching your support from the Democrats to the Republicans is like taking your hand off the stove and putting it in the oven. It makes no sense whatsoever.... Unless your choice is simply racially motivated, which your rant implies.

You don't like the Democrats? Ok, that's cool. But what have the Republicans EVER done in the last 40 years for the common, working-class citizen? As Thom Hartmann says, "name one piece of legislation they've passed that benefits the working man or woman and not corporations." You think your job is any safer with Republicans???

No, I wouldn't advise you to vote for a weak or lousy Democratic candidate over a lousy Republican. Rather, I'd ask why you'd vote for either.

If Republicans really wanted to ban abortion or stop illegal immigration etc. etc., they've had plenty of opportunities to do so over the last 30+ years. All that save Christian White America rhetoric is simply a diversion used to win elections. If they solved the problems, then they'd have nothing to run on during the next election cycle... except reality, which doesn't bode well for them.

If your local Democratic candidate is a dud, then you could A) get involved in the Democratic party and try to change it B) vote for someone that better represents you in a third party or C) don't vote at all.

Option A is difficult. Humans haven't changed much since the days of the pyramids. Even if you fix everything this moment, greed will always exist. Eventually, people will forget our current struggles and the whole cycle will start all over again. Anyone who's looking to change the world and create a Star Trek-like utopia is delusional. Still, it's a hard thing to accept.

Option B is more of a protest, as a third party candidate hasn't a slim chance in hell in a two-party system. And option C is simply giving up... or accepting the fact that you're not really living in a democracy.

Personally, there's not a political party on this planet I truly trust, and great political figures are hard to find. Bernie Sanders is one of the few I can think of that really, truly care about the people they represent and not the money they can make in office.

Do whatever you want, but I have to go with Ulysses on this. Your story and/or motives are suspect. After 30 years of disenfranchisement, you suddenly have an epiphany -- JUST before an election -- to switch parties? Too convenient. Most people who truly feel the way you do switched over to the Republican party long ago. Either another paid-by-the-post conservative blogger, or you just look at ol' flip-flop Mitty and say "Geeeeee, that's my guy! He's white y'know."

marriott79's picture
marriott79

Sorry, I'm a slow learner and these are unique times. I just came to the conclusion after voting liberal since 1976 that it hasn't really benefitted me. Now that we are faced with a economy of less for the foreseeable future-it's time to be pragmatic. Time to get on the winner bandwagon. BTW, how does one become another paid by the post conservative blogger-I could use the money?

lovecraft

U, " and that the money the car companies got from Obama was all paid back with interest on Obama's watch."

Bullshit!!!

Earlier today, General Motors announced that the company paid $4.7 billion to the U.S. government and $1.1 billion to the Canadian government, fulfilling its obligation agreed to when it received its initial bailout funds. In total, GM received $52 billion from the U.S. government, but only $6.7 billion of this amount was considered a loan. The company already paid back $2 billion, so this $4.7 billion is the last payment.

Full article here:

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/general-motors-paid-back-bailout-loans-in-full/

Marriott, " In other words, those non-whites working at the DMV are probably struggling just as much as you are."

Bullshit, they are over paid, over benefited and underworked at taxpayer expense!!!

I haven't voted dem or repub since Jimma Carta. Didn't vote for his ass either.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

AH, because he's a soulless empty suit.

anniek401's picture
anniek401

At the money level now needed for major elections-will you ever get anything other than a soulless suit? I think not.

lovecraft

Some might accuse Obama of being a sell out, not sure I totally agree, but he's not a soulless empty suit. There is a differance. Also, RE: the SCOTUS, I was thinking of RBG. She will almost surely retire and be replaced by the next POTUS. If Obama is reelected at least he can keep the balance in the SCOTUS the same for now, maybe change it. But, if you are so pessimestic and angry about politics, why not just stay home. Mitt Romney is not the answer. It's obvious.

anniek401's picture
anniek401

What a violin job! I'm 60, pasty white and live on the opposite coast in a supposedly far more liberal state. As I kept scrolling and reading down, well, I felt that's exactly where I and others were being pulled by your letter Lovecraft. Never, and I've been in both conservative and liberal ranks, have I read such tripe sounding like a bunch of cherry picked anecdotes the likes of Fox & Friend's morning crew love as red meat to gin up their rightist "fans."

Even to give you the benefit of the doubt, why the hell have you lived in Southern Cal for so long, especially when the GOP was becoming more ascendant when Nixon took office in 1969?

My apologies to you or anybody I've offended for appearing insensitive. I've been through some awfully difficult financial squeezes, but to fall back on the "poh me oppressed white man's blues" schtick ... but your piece was too much.

It reminded me of the same garbage directed at Affirmative Action by conservative ideologues attending Ivy League schools here in the east. Funny how they never mentioned their daddy's and mommie's kind of affirmative action: legacy appointments. And wasn't there some report published recently about kids sailing through college these days?

Steven.PBarrett

annie, " Mitt Romney is not the answer. It's obvious."

It should also be obvious, by now, that Obama is not the answer. He might as well have been bush III.

And just what is that "balance" in the SCOTUS? There are nine justices. One vote ususally decides a case.

Barrett, "It reminded me of the same garbage directed at Affirmative Action by conservative ideologues attending Ivy League schools here in the east. "

Is voiding the scores of a fireman's test for promotion because black firemen scored lower than white firemen and then promoting the black firemen based on race. The SCTUS overturned that. Affirmative Action does not promote equality, it fosters resentment.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Camaroman: Definitely don't agree with you about Obama. I know he kept some Bush advisors, maybe because they knew where the bodies were buried, but he has been faced with some impossible choices - and I believe he made the best choices possible. Also, he has faced Republicans in Congress and a right wing media who have made it their only mission to bring him down. Add to that some of his own party who have what I believe are unrealistic expectations and overly harsh jugements. Maybe we deserve a facist corporate oligarchy that Romney would usher in. The balance 5 conservitive 4 liberal SCOTUS justices could change to 6 conservitive justices 3 liberal or even 7 to 2 for years to come. With Obama in office at least there is a shot it could change the other way, at least not get worse so when the next conservative justice retires, maybe it will change, or at least not get worse. If you think it's bad now, vote for Romney and the Republicans - if he gets elected you'll really understand bad. I'm voting for Obama because of what I see in the arguments and character of people who are supporting Romney, if for no other reason. Yeah I said it.

anniek401's picture
anniek401
Quote camaroman:

U, " and that the money the car companies got from Obama was all paid back with interest on Obama's watch."

Bullshit!!!

Earlier today, General Motors announced that the company paid $4.7 billion to the U.S. government and $1.1 billion to the Canadian government, fulfilling its obligation agreed to when it received its initial bailout funds. In total, GM received $52 billion from the U.S. government, but only $6.7 billion of this amount was considered a loan. The company already paid back $2 billion, so this $4.7 billion is the last payment.

Full article here:

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/general-motors-paid-back-bailout-loans-in-full/

Marriott, " In other words, those non-whites working at the DMV are probably struggling just as much as you are."

Bullshit, they are over paid, over benefited and underworked at taxpayer expense!!!

I haven't voted dem or repub since Jimma Carta. Didn't vote for his ass either.

You're just another intellectual doorknob who wants to play semantical games.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses
Quote Ulysses:

You're just another intellectual doorknob who wants to play semantical games.

Seriously, what an absolutely great phrase! I'm writing that down to use later..... thanks!!!

delete jan in iowa

So are you voting for the moderate republican Obama? That's really the demographics of todays left vs. right. Purple on the left and blood red on the right.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.