5. 1971 Chevrolet Vega

4. 1987 Yugo

3. 1955 BMW Isetta

2. 1974 Ford Mustang

1. 2001 Pontiac Aztek

Comments

chilidog
A couple of week's ago I saw

A couple of week's ago I saw a guy in a red Fiat X1/9.  I had to talk to him because my sister had one circa 1980.  P.O.S. I told the guy I hadn't seen one on the road in at least 20 years, his was in pretty good shape.  He knew a mechanic that charged him $80/hr to work on it.  I didn't tell him how many problems my sister had with it.

doh1304
doh1304's picture
Other options: the Ford Pinto

Other options: the Ford Pinto (though actually the Plymouth Fury was more dangerous) the Chevrolet Corvair (unfairly - if Chevy had had the sense to warn people about the proper tire inflation. For those who don't know the Corvair had - for 1 year - a unique front suspension design that required that the tires be inflated to 14psi instead of the usual 28. Stupidly, even Chevy dealer mechanics were not informed of this.) And my personal favorite, the Ford Escape. (to be honest, the Jeep Liberty is even more unstable, but at least the Liberty has brakes.) Another unfairly condemned vehicle is the AMC Gremlin. BTW - the 1968 (?) Dodge Coronet had a grill surprisingly similar to the Edsel "toilet seat". Somehow it looked good on the Dodge.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Harry, any reason you omitted

Harry, any reason you omitted number 6, the Saturn Ion?  BTW doh, I had a Corvair for a short while but someone stole and totaled it.   Apparently they were druggies and stole some pharmaceuticals before crashing the car.  The police called me in and the detective read me my rights with me wondering all the time why?  I waved them and it was a good thing because she told me they found drugs in the trunk.  I said "the actual trunk or the engine compartment"?  She got all upset about the detective who wrote up the report who didn't know that the engine compartment was NOT the trunk and let me go.  LOL

At the other end of the scale I've owned a Subaru Forester for 12 years and it is still going strong.  It is my third Subaru.

Art
Art's picture
VW Microbus 

VW Microbus 

chilidog
My Pinto never gave me any

My Pinto never gave me any trouble.

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
I owned a 74 mustang II. 

I owned a 74 mustang II.  What a POS.  The timing belt was like a rubber band.  I never could get it to run right after replacing the belt.  My mom had a 75 AMC Pacer.  Probably the worst crap I ever drove.  I pulled a u-haul trailer with it across the state of Wyoming in a blizzard.  It truly was a fishbowl.  I would like to see  those guys on tv that make aquariums out of anything do it with a Pacer.

harry ashburn
harry ashburn's picture
:D  I didnt include the Ion

:D  I didnt include the Ion 'cause its not my list.

Sprinklerfitter
Sprinklerfitter's picture
chilidog wrote: My Pinto

chilidog wrote:

Good thing you never got rear ended.....Didn't take much of a hit to get those things burning.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
harry ashburn wrote: :D  I

harry ashburn wrote:

:D  I didnt include the Ion 'cause its not my list.

Uh Harry, read your list again.  And then the report you linked to.  It was number 6 in that report.  And you don't have a number 6.  ;-) <damn, don't you wish Nigel would fix the emoticons!>

Speaking of the Saturn, I have friend that bought one and noticed just a few short years later it was falling apart (like many GM cars).  My beef about my Forester is the damn floor mats and the maintenance manager at the dealer said that was the number one complaint.  They wouldn't stay put!  I checked Subaru groups and many people said when they bought the car they just tossed those and got sport mats.  I bought some cheap ones and they stay put better than the ones that came with the car.

chilidog
Sprinklerfitter

Sprinklerfitter wrote:

chilidog wrote:

Good thing you never got rear ended.....Didn't take much of a hit to get those things burning.

Top Secret with Val Kilmer was a great movie, and it had a great scene where they're in a car and have to lock up the brakes to stop, and they barely tap the rear bumper of a Pinto and everything explodes in an enormous fireball.

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
Aztek was the worst. My

Aztek was the worst.

My brother restored a Vega, and whenever he showed it, the Vagrant would take best in model. It was really cherry, 350 , 4 wheel disc brakes, a beaut. If he had put that into a Vette, it would have been worth $40k, he sold the Vega for $3800.

rigel1
rigel1's picture
And the winner

And the winner is!

http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/01-1975-amc-pacer-x.jpg

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
  I think any American car

I think any American car made in 80's probably could be on the list.