1.9 million American transportation workers are being held hostage by Republicans in the House

5 posts / 0 new

At the end of this month – critical funding that keeps Americans on the job rebuilding our highways and infrastructure runs out – threatening to put two million Americans out of a job. In a 74-22 vote, the Senate, with support on both sides of the aisle, already passed legislation to keep the funding in place after this month.

But House Republicans, reportedly led by Eric Cantor, are refusing to vote on the Senate bill, unless it also includes immediate approval of the Keystone XL pipeline. This is not the first time Republicans have held American workers hostage on behalf of their oil baron campaign contributors in Texas – they did the same things back in March.

And this latest hostage scenario plays into the Republicans’ larger strategy of sabotaging the economy to hurt President Obama in November. The thought of 1.9 million Americans put out of work may be tragic to most of us – but it’s an opportunity for Republicans.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

It amazes me that anyone can defend these guys after all the information has come out about the pledge to block ALL economic policies by this administration. Love or hate all the things that the administration is doing, but deliberately threatening to throw 1.9 million folks out of work is unspeakable..... then to push for that stupid pipeline that benefits the Koch Brothers......

If they has an icon for "shaking your head in disgust" I would be using it right now!

delete jan in iowa

Tell you what, when the Democrat Leadership in the Senate passes a budget, I will support you in writing the House & Senate to demand a transportation bill. Absent a budget I am not sure how we know what funds are available to support this endevour. We have not had a budget in approved in Obama's term and for two of three years the Dems had the House, Senate, and Prez and still no budget.

liberalsyndrome's picture
liberalsyndrome

You do not need a budget when you can tax the hated rich, force more americans onto food stamps and welfare. That why you have complete.control of.enough people to turn the u.s. Into a communist country I mean a lib utopia.

workingman's picture
workingman

Its the Cloward-Piven Strategy for real....

Keep the people poor and dependent. Explode entitlements. Break the Budget. Replace feedom and capitalism with "something else"....

I will be on the first plane out when that happens!

liberalsyndrome's picture
liberalsyndrome

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.