Ban Reposters? Lock Their Posts?

52 posts / 0 new

I'm sick of this board being clogged up with empty posts that are nothing but links to posts at another forum.... like:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/06/beware-foundation-operatives-liberal-or-progressive-clothing

Maybe banning such offenders is too extreme, but perhaps such posts should be locked so they soon fall out of sight. If we wanted to read Prison Planet posts... we know where to find them.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Comments

Quote Pierpont:

I'm sick of this board being clogged up with empty posts that are nothing but links to posts at another forum.... like:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/06/beware-foundation-operatives-liberal-or-progressive-clothing

Maybe banning such offenders is too extreme, but perhaps such posts should be locked so they soon fall out of sight. If we wanted to read Prison Planet posts... we know where to find them.

it is a good idea, another option is to kill the hypertext or hyperlink ability so when someone enter http:\\whatever it will not go anywhere. It will not stop people from copying and pasting but it will take longer.

Recovering conservative2's picture
Recovering cons...

Maybe the administrator could delete the topic if it doesn't get a certain minimum number of views in 24 hours or so.

chilidog

Let them fall off the page by ignoring the posts and not commenting on them. You can also overcome them by starting new posts or posting to the ones you enjoy - then they rise on the page.

Get ready for tomorrow when the board will once again be filled with "cutting and pasting" of those crazy topics from other websites.

delete jan in iowa

The problem with that is that they still sit there clogging up page 2 and later.

chilidog

Go back and read the "rules" of the blog and Louise's posting about this not being a libertarian/free market forum..... there may be a solution in there.

delete jan in iowa
Quote jan in iowa:

Go back and read the "rules" of the blog and Louise's posting about this not being a libertarian/free market forum..... there may be a solution in there.

I've read the post several times. The question remains have the Mods read it?

I can appreciate having a tolerant forum to freely discuss ideas. But there will always be some determined to hijack a thread and if they can get away with it... a entre forum. We're getting close to that... and it's time the Masters Of The Forum ask whether the forum exists for ANY discussion or that it somehow should involve Thom, his books, or the show.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote jan in iowa:

In addition to not responding if look at the post, click the button as flag as offensive so you bring the Moderators attention to it.

Recovering cons...

One topic isn't offensive. Eight topics in 10 minutes is offensive.

chilidog
Quote chilidog:

One topic isn't offensive. Eight topics in 10 minutes is offensive.

Exactly. Any one idiotic topic during a reasonable time period is perfectly acceptable. It's the purposeful intent to jepoardize more than a reasonable amount of space in an unreasonable time period that is beyond offensive. One honest Bilderberg post per Ron Paul enthusiast per day just fine and three is far too many (let alone 8 or 10). They might actually gain some allies if they backed off a bit.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Is reposting the issue, or reposting rightwing bullshit from Alex Jones, or Prisonplanet the problem?

I regurgitate articles from Prof. Krugman, Prof. DeLong, and Prof. Thoma, who also regurgitate alot of stuff from Tim Duy, and other economiists.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

There has really been a lot of discussion about this issue.

Flagging seems to be a good option.

Labor - chilidog - I agree with you.... it's the volume of postings

Phaedrus - it's not the source as far as I'm concerned

delete jan in iowa

Quote jan in iowa: it's the volume of postings

Phaedrus - it's not the source as far as I'm concerned

It's not just the number of posts, it's that the poster in question is so determined to monopolize this forum, they often don't even bother to summarize their own thoughts, and just post a link hoping someone else's post is a substitute for making their own argument. It's the same when someone just posts a link to a YouTub video. Such drive-by posting should have a special rule. It's ideological spam.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote jan in iowa:

Let them fall off the page by ignoring the posts and not commenting on them. You can also overcome them by starting new posts or posting to the ones you enjoy - then they rise on the page.

Get ready for tomorrow when the board will once again be filled with "cutting and pasting" of those crazy topics from other websites.

You make interesting observation that most of these posts occur Monday through Friday, I wonderif their objective is to take this site down. One of these bragged about taking down another site. I find myself spending more time on other sites & twitter because of these blog cloggers.

Recovering cons...
Quote Recovering conservative2:

You make interesting observation that most of these posts occur Monday through Friday, I wonder if their objective is to take this site down. One of these bragged about taking down another site. I find myself spending more time on other sites & twitter because of these blog cloggers.

It might be that Monday-Friday is when the source of all the postings is active. Just a thought.

It does become almost a "job" keeping the more interesting posts in view. It would be such a shame if you were driven away, you do make good comments!

delete jan in iowa

Thank you for your comment

Recovering cons...

Since no one else here is capeable of covering and posting real news from the real world. Then those of us who live in the real world must be so compelled to do so.

Again if you find the topic too real for your philosophical "debates" then just ignore it.

However many of the posters here aren't afraid of real news, that is why CNN & FOX are failing big like they are.

Whatever happened to I may disagree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it ?

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat
Quote antikakistocrat:

Since no one else here is capeable of covering and posting real news from the real world. Then those of us who live in the real world must be so compelled to do so.

Again if you find the topic too real for your philosophical "debates" then just ignore it.

However many of the posters here aren't afraid of real news, that is why CNN & FOX are failing big like they are.

Whatever happened to I may disagree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it ?

Please come and educate us, we're so "incapable"..... blah blah blah...... we've heard this all before.

delete jan in iowa

...allright then if you've heard it all before then why are you guys still whining about it ?

antikakistocrat
Quote Pierpont:

Something about this topic hitting a nerve for you their Pierpont ?

Topics like this as well as many others get cross referenced and cross posted all the time.

Maybe you're the paid shill here !!!!!!!

antikakistocrat
Quote antikakistocrat:

...allright then if you've heard it all before then why are you guys still whining about it ?

Ain't whining about the message, just the messenger and obnoxious means of delivering it. If your message was so good, why do you have to work so damn hard to force it on people who ain't interested?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood
Quote Laborisgood:
Quote antikakistocrat:

Ain't whining about the message, just the messenger and obnoxious means of delivering it. If your message was so good, why do you have to work so damn hard to force it on people who ain't interested?

A comrpise might be if Anti would combine his dozen or so reposts from Prison Plant into 1 so it doesn't clog the board unless he is a paid shill who's objective is to clog the board. At lead looking at the views, people are learning not to clink anything with build a berd in it.

Recovering cons...

Also, he can periodically post a reply to bump that single topic to page 1.

chilidog
Quote antikakistocrat:

Something about this topic hitting a nerve for you their Pierpont ?

Trolling for a reaction so you can hijack this thread too? Since you have comprehension problems, here's what I wrote again:

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

A comrpise might be if Anti would combine his dozen or so reposts from Prison Plant into 1 so it doesn't clog the board unless he is a paid shill who's objective is to clog the board. At lead looking at the views, people are learning not to clink anything with build a berd in it.

I post them individually so if anyone wants to save them in their e-mails they can. I save about 10% of the stuff from Prison-Planet myself so in the future when I have discussions like these with ignoramouses who knew nothing about the North American Union or Bilderberg etc. yet won't hesitate to brag about their degree in political science.

antikakistocrat
Quote antikakistocrat:

I post them individually so if anyone wants to save them in their e-mails they can. I save about 10% of the stuff from Prison-Planet myself so in the future when I have discussions like these with ignoramouses who knew nothing about the North American Union or Bilderberg etc. yet won't hesitate to brag about their degree in political science.

I suggest you start you own web site. This is not your web site, nor do you have a right to try to dominate.

Recovering cons...

1) I am not "dominating" anything here by posting articles and keeping people informed.

2) I post at other websites as well, and there aren't the crybabies at any of these others that there are here.

3) Censoring anything is very Nazi-like whether you are on the liberal/conservative side.

antikakistocrat
Quote antikakistocrat:3) Censoring anything is very Nazi-like whether you are on the liberal/conservative side.

FOAH... I've been involved in Usenet Config issues since before the WWW existed. Newgroups have a purpose: to facilate efficient communication centered on a topic. Any assh*le can use any number of methods to screw that up... and like you, they all scream censorship. I could care less if you post. I object to you repeatedly starting new threads not to post your thoughts, but just to post links to someone else's thoughts at some other forum. We don't need 10 posts about the Bilderburgs when one will suffice.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:

. I object to you repeatedly starting new threads not to post your thoughts.

I object to your constant Objecting....

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0
Quote Capital.0:I object to your constant Objecting....

Don't worry Cap, you'll soon realize you're just again making another stupid argument.. and you'll again scamper off. Call my people when you think you finally have something of value to say.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:

Don't worry Cap, you'll soon realize you're just again making another stupid argument.. and you'll again scamper off. Call my people when you think you finally have something of value to say.

Brave words from a guy that is Whining like a little girl with a skined knee. Your high pitched shrilling is waking the dead.

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0
Quote Capital.0:
Quote Pierpont:

Brave words from a guy that is Whining like a little girl with a skined knee. Your high pitched shrilling is waking the dead.

Pathetic. Is that how you maintain your self esteem and delusional state of infalibility by rewriting history? Hey Einstein, YOU are the one who ran away from the Second Amendment and Clinton Surplus discussions then claimed your scampering off was to let your profound Orwellian Right thoughts time to sink in.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:

Pathetic. Is that how you maintain your self esteem and delusional state of infalibility by rewriting history? Hey Einstein, YOU are the one who ran away from the Second Amendment and Clinton Surplus discussions then claimed your scampering off was to let your profound Orwellian Right thoughts time to sink in.

Your delusion knows no bounds. I’m absolutely sure that is how it played out in your head. What everyone else saw was the constant banging your head into a wall over even the simplest of concepts.. I don't need to rewrite history, it's already written.

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0
Quote Capital.0:
Quote Pierpont:

Your delusion knows no bounds. I’m absolutely sure that is how it played out in your head. What everyone else saw was the constant banging your head into a wall over even the simplest of concepts.. I don't need to rewrite history, it's already written.

Yes it has been written for all to see and I see your stuffed fat head hanging on the wall above my fireplace. Feel free to come back when you finally have something intelligent to say.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:

Yes it has been written for all to see and I see your stuffed fat head hanging on the wall above my fireplace. Feel free to come back when you finally have something intelligent to say.

LOL... Your sense of humor is unique...

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0

You can cut the sexual tension with a knife.

chilidog
Quote antikakistocrat:

1) I am not "dominating" anything here by posting articles and keeping people informed.

2) I post at other websites as well, and there aren't the crybabies at any of these others that there are here.

3) Censoring anything is very Nazi-like whether you are on the liberal/conservative side.

Anti, what do you post under on the Prison Planet forum? Not sure if I've ever seen your handle there (or did they throw you off).

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote Capital.0:
Quote Pierpont:

LOL... Your sense of humor is unique...

Thanks for taking my suggestion. May all your other posts also be less idiotic.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

I thought I was doing the right thing by maintaining my thread Is it child abuse to perpetuate the official narrative about how the United States was attacked on September 11, 2001? as a single "blog" entry and periodically updating it with new posts of my own. It seems bizarre to me, however, that I have to compete for space with such entries as Things To Look For When Pruchasing [sic] A New Rifle Scope and Why are San Antonio strip clubs so popular?.

kodowdus's picture
kodowdus
Quote captbebops:
Quote antikakistocrat:

Anti, what do you post under on the Prison Planet forum? Not sure if I've ever seen your handle there (or did they throw you off).

I am Constitutionary there.

antikakistocrat

Here's a quote that EVERYONE here should be familiar with.

"Renaissance Thinking About the Issues of Our Day."

Does this phrase sound familiar? It should... it's only the header on EVERY page of this site!

It doesn't say, "I'll Take 'Only Things That I Know For $800, Alex!"

---------------------

I've said it before... I'll say it now. Aside from religion... I have NEVER seen a bigger disconnect between the orator and the listener than I have right here on this site.

ANYONE that is talking about BANNING and CENSORING dissent... is obviously NOT listening to the very author and host of this site.

-------------------

Pierpont - I am willing to wager that you despise tyranny. Yet... you want to engage in acts of tyranny. That's rather odd behavior.

THERE IS NO THOM HARTMANN NEWS SERVICE!

Do you get it?

Thair is no Tom Hartman noos serviss. (I don't know, maybe that'll hit home for ya?)

One more time... with feeling! I know you're out there. C'mon! Say it with me!

I think what I am trying to say is that, THERE IS NO THOM HARTMANN NEWS SERVICE!

OK. Since THERE IS NO THOM HARTMANN NEWS SERVICE, we have to glean from other news sources. Then we talk about. it. Hopefully, we learn while we talk about it. Thus the "Renaissance " part of "Renaissance Thinking".

-----------------

Pierpont - What is your major malfunction?

Either you are incapable of understanding logic... our it's your JOB to be this obtuse. I am hoping it's your job that makes you appear to be so obstinate. At least that way you would be earning a buck or two by being so aggravating to proponents of an educated discussion.

I would hate to think that you are doing so of your own free will.

BAM!

Put that in your PIPE and SMOKE IT!...

Or in this case... Put that in your GLASS JAR and mix it up and then seal and then inject some mushroom spores and seal it again and then let them sit for a month in your basement and then roll your cakes in vermiculite and then put the finished cakes inside of an atrium and monitor for temperature and humidity for another month and then pick your bounty and then dehydrate them for about 10 hours and then grind it up into some tea and... DRINK IT!!!

I guess I "told" you, huh?

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

Pierpont - Are you really Tipper Gore?

You can tell me. I won't let anyone else know.

I promise.

Fletcher Christian

Apparently having some sort of seizure

Quote Fletcher Christian:ANYONE that is talking about BANNING and CENSORING dissent... is obviously NOT listening to the very author and host of this site.
Actually you need to address your comments to Louise Hartmann who wrote some of the ground rules for this forum
This isn't a Libertarian free market message board here on The Thom Hartmann Program. There are some regulations. They are posted - here. If as a conservative you come in and flood the boards with comments dissecting in longform progressive comments you don't like - you will be blocked from this forum.

Quote Fletcher Christian:Pierpont - What is your major malfunction?

Either you are incapable of understanding logic... our it's your JOB to be this obtuse. I am hoping it's your job that makes you appear to be so obstinate. At least that way you would be earning a buck or two by being so aggravating to proponents of an educated discussion.

I would hate to think that you are doing so of your own free will.

As for myself, and old UseNet config junkie from the days before the WWW. Config is the group that debates proposals for new UseNet forum names hoping to avoid duplicate forums and keeping some logical hierarchy in the group names.
As such I know forums have a purpose beyond mere individual free speech... but a COMMUNITY purpose to efficiently allow individuals to find and communicate around a topic. When trolls and idiots and political spammers interfere with that purpose, I think we have a right to complain and the forces-that-be have some right to slap them on the wrist… or more.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Hasn't it been nice the last couple of weeks? The conversation has flowed and the board hasn't been clogged with one poster dominating the conversation. A variety of folks have made comments, posted topics, even new people have popped up and we've heard these new voices and opinions. Even some good "jousts" have happened and been informative and entertaining. It's been GREAT.

So it looks like all the bitching and complaining has worked. No one has had to be banned, but people have hopefully realized that you have to have "manners" and allow the blog to flow.

Good job to everyone who's voiced their feelings and concerns for the blog!

Pierpont thanks for keeping the topic alive.

delete jan in iowa

I kept the topic alive, ya big Dope!

OK... I will play the Devil's advocate role.

Just how do you suppose what news gets talked about and what news does not get talked about? Since there is NO official Thom Hartmann News Service... what "news" are you going to "RENAISSANCLY" think about?

I can distinctly remember folks stating that they wanted "links" to be shown when a person makes a comment. Sort of "proof" as to what a person is saying or why they are saying it in the first place. Now that "links" are being shown... that's now a problem.

So what is it?

Here's what I am hearing... We are non conformists. We don't have ANY idea as to HOW or WHY we are non conformist. Just take our word that we are not conforming. We don't articulate to what we aren't conforming to... but we are NOT conforming. We want to get the message out. What that message is... who knows!?!

We want everyone to non conform in a conforming way! So get in line and NON CONFORM!

This is EXACTLY the maddening double think, oxymoronic, non linear, uneducated, slop that I'm talking about.

As far as bringing Louise Hartmann into the topic... I have! How is it that I am still here responding to you if I haven't?

You're FAITH and lack of integrity are easily put on trial. That is a statement about YOU... not anyone else.

I claim to be of the Christian faith. How would I sound as a Christian if I bitched and moaned that Marilyn Manson should be censored and banned... or slapped on the wrist because he dares to challenge my belief system? I'd say that I didn't sound like much of a Christian to BEGIN with!

I am stating that it's obvious that you are part of the weak minded, mealy mouthed, flip flopping, no memory having, vain, milk toast public that Barritt Obamney was talking about when he mentioned the "ETCH-A-SKETCH" comment!

Remember the scene from "The Godfather" where Don Corleone slapped Johnny Fontaine and exclaimed, "You could start by ACTING LIKE A MAN!"

Now imagine that I am Don Corleone and you are Johhny Fontaine.

I feel better. How about you?

Fletcher Christian

I guess I can't really "blame" anyone for being a sissy in today's world.

After all, didn't CLEAR CHANNEL have something like an 8 year ban on certain musical acts like "Rage Against The Machine" and the mighty scary "Dixie Chicks"?

Pierpont - The next time you post something... please put this disclaimer at the top:

"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO THINK, OR DEPRESSION MAY OCCUR!"

You know, that way... all of the rest of the simpletons will know how to fall in line.

Now, march!

Your LEFT... Your LEFT... Your LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT!

Lockstep... get it together! Remember we must ALL non conform to the "beat" of Jan In Iowa!

You're bouncing! Knock it off!

This is my BLOG! There are many like it, but this one is MINE...

-------------

You know... I guess I owe you a BIG "Thank You".

Thank you for reminding me just how little progress we've made. Every once and I while I get a glimmer of hope. What was I thinking!?! Thank you for bringing me back into reality.

And all of us wonder why it is we are losing... painfully obvious. The reason is because of HYPOCRISY!

Fletcher Christian

If I may interupt, I think the problem is not being articulated well. The problem with many of Anti's posts are that they are spam. Here is what I think the spam is:

1) Some are just Libertarian 'Gossip' posts that purpot that it is 'news' to say what a particular libertarian says or thinks. These links have largely disapeared because Romney is now the nominee.

2)Some are just 'Bilderberg' re-posts from Alex Jone's site and don't reference actual sources. For example, Alex Jones links a study saying the Bilderbergs killed Kennedy, but Anti links the Jones site, even though Jones adds nothing to the information.

3) The links are not factual in nature. If Alex Jones says 'Bilderbergers are evil' - that is not news, not interesting or important. The same if Krugman says 'Deficits don't matter'. In other words, having a person repeat an opinion is not newsworthy or important, and is really just spam. If that person really has an arguement to make, then that is another story.

4) Links to propaganda videos. When you think about it, these videos are really only creatd to con people into thinking things. Othewise, why not write it down? The purpose of the video is to add music and other graphics to lull people into not thinking about what they are observing. Plus, linked videos rarely cite their own sources - if they did, why see the video in the first place? I say ban all video links (with the exception if they are fact sources).

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Alex Jones is gimmicky, but occasionally he makes a valid point. I wouldn't mind the myriad posts if the thread creators would attach their own meaningful analysis to the topic.

But the majority of the posts are either a verbatim copy/and paste of the original article or a vacuous one liner attached to a link. (Although I guess this is also true of many non-prisonplanet posts on this forum as well). In other words there is no thought to the posts at all. This is ironic because the majority of the ascended prisonplanet audience smugly refers to those who disagree with their posts, as unenlightened as "sheeple," oblivious to their own uncritical acceptance of the gospel according to Alex Jones.

In the face of such contempt, why should anyone engage the poster in honest debate?

JoyceFinnigan's picture
JoyceFinnigan

Maybe it's time some of our new friends to read this thread for the first time and for someone close to our hearts to read it again.

Everyone has asked in sorts of ways to be respected and for the blog not to be flooded/dominated by libertarian/prisonplanet, etc. topics.

Is it any wonder that I'm defensive after all the talk about you guys not being jerks?

Is that so hard for you and other folks to do this one simple thing?

delete jan in iowa

You know why not just let people post topics and let the chips fall where they may.

The main problem is that Prison-Planet posts force people out of the blue-Globalist versus red-Globalist paradigm and in the left-wing radio world everything wrong with America is the Republican's fault.

Not that I am even pro-Republican. In fact I am appalled that the Constitution Party has Virgil Goode an ex-Republican running on its ticket for the 2012 election. However if I didn't post Prison-Planet news how many mindless left/right paradigm debates would we have while the Globalist's accelerated their agenda ? The reason we are not in the North American Union is because people see both parties for the Bilderberg pawns they are.

People need to grow up here and get out their high school view of how the world really works.

antikakistocrat

A different way to look at Thom's board is to go to(message board ( http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum) click on the Active topics (http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/active) and you can see how many views and replies any topic has had and even who did the last reply.

It gives a good idea of what to expect in the thread.

Recovering cons...

Currently Chatting

The GOP war on workers has killed again...

It’s time to stop the conservative's war on working people in America.

Since the birth of our nation, conservatives have always been wary of average working-class Americans having too much political or economic power. John Adams, the second President of the United States and a Federalist (precursor to today’s Republicans), was very wary of the working class, which he referred to as “the rabble.”