Cheating is in America's dna

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
douglaslee
douglaslee's picture

Aderol is the new drug of choice for SATs I scored 670 on math, what would my score have been if I'd been able to finish more questions?

Comments

Kerry
Kerry's picture
I wouldn't say 'cheating is

I wouldn't say 'cheating is in America's dna', that seems to claim that it is biologically 'natural'--and, therefore, nothing really can be done about it.   I would say that cheating is ingrained in the present culture--so much so that whenever government seems to try to do something about it, many of us 'conspiracy minded' wonder what the angle is--it's certainly not because 'the government' honors telling the truth, is it?   And, by all accounts of people who talk here on corporation's (and corporate mogul's) behalf, corporations (and their moguls) aren't expected to be honest (or have any moral or ethical principles), anyway--that's against the 'competitive edge' of 'business and war', you know...and 'contract law' doesn't make them any more 'honest'--especially if they can 'gain the edge' in the contract.....

Bush_Wacker
Bush_Wacker's picture
We have produced a culture

We have produced a culture that seems to encourage cheating.  Winning at all costs is paramount.  Nothing bothers me more than seeing it over and over again in sports.  So many of our youth look up to sports figures and like it or not they become role models.  A couple of years ago Derek Jeter of the NY Yankees pretended to be hit by a pitch, that clearly missed him when seen in slow motion replay.  He pretended to be in pain and the umpire bought it and awarded him first base.  They showed it over and over again in slow motion and the tv commentators applauded his "competitiveness".  I then have to explain to my kids who are watching why it's OK to cheat in professional sports even though I've taught them all of their life that cheating is for losers.

I see it every Sunday during football season as well.  A guy makes a disputable catch on the sidelines and the entire team runs to the line of scrimmage to try and get another play started before anyone can challenge the catch.  Why are they in such a hurry?  Because they want the catch to count even if it's not a legal catch.  The entire team is trying to cheat.  Once again the coaches and the tv commentators are encouraging them to "hurry up!" and get the next play off so that they can get away with the cheat.  My kids once again are asking me why is cheating bad if a pro football team tries to get away with cheating every weekend.  It puts me in a tough situation in explaining to them that cheating is not the way to get what you want.  I feel alone in my sentiments and I'm obviously losing the battle because it's so common place in every aspect of our society.

So the cheating in order to win is totally acceptable to most in today's society and that obviously spills over to cheating on taxes, cheating employees, cheating employers, cheating spouses, cheating on elections and anyone who can cheat "the system" and get away with it is applauded.  Except for when it comes to illegal aliens of course. 

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
Jamie Dimon just did a feint

Jamie Dimon just did a feint in congress. 'Oh I am so sorry I messed up' then gets the senators on his payroll to ask fawning questions, and even make excuses for him. Meanwhile his other payroll for lobbiests are squelching Dodd-Frank so nothing new takes effect until 2014. I don't know how many said what a smart guy he is. Smart enough to game the system and not get caught. Even when you're caught you get to keep your winnings, Fuld [Lehman] and Countrywide CEO kept all their loot.

Glass-Steagal would've been simpler and exact. But that meant admitting the repeal was wrong, can't have that.

reactions-to-jamie-dimons-senate-banking-hearing-admissions-of-guilt-amid-the-arrogance/ and smirk.

Dickhead Shelby kissed ass again, and he previously killed the fed governor nomination that could regulate Dimon

A Phd Economics Nobel Laureate wasn't good enough for Shelby, but whatever Jamie wants Jamie gets,

Kerry
Kerry's picture
douglaslee

douglaslee wrote:

Glass-Steagal would've been simpler and exact. But that meant admitting the repeal was wrong, can't have that.

As George Santayana put it 'Those that don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it'.   And, those that remember the past lessons and ignore them for their own benefit are hypocrites...