Emergency — please read — serious Wisconsin vote hack issue

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture

Wisconsin Citizens Media Co-op

****note: bad link has been corrected****

Meet Command Central, the People in Charge of Wisconsin Voting Machines

Massive tide of red flags issuing from this two-person storefront company that controls 100% of Wisconsin voting machines, whose office is down the hall from Michelle Bachman's office!

The article's author wrote:

Command Central Makes Its Move—A Shady Deal With WI County Clerks

Last September, Election Integrity investigators discovered that unbeknownst to average citizens of Wisconsin, Command Central sent those 46 districts an offer: trade out your old Optech Insight Scanner for two DRE Touch Screen models, at no charge. The Optech machine is the one that paper ballots are fed through to read and register the votes.

While these machines are also susceptible to hacking (see Rep. Pridemore explain how to game the machine) in the case of a recount, it is possible to physically monitor the paper ballots as they are fed through the machine to see if they match the machine totals.

With DRE Touch Screens, however, one’s vote could be flipped and one would never know because there is no receipt or paper trail voters receive to confirm their vote was counted as voted. All that is left is a paper tape that shows votes and vote totals. If the machine is hacked, those totals have no other verifiable trail to confirm the results.

And yet according to John Washburn, this swap-out two-for-one offer violates the statutes issued by the GAB for State approved system as described on the Government Accountability Board’s website that requires the inclusion of an Optech Insight Scanner.

On January 13, 2012, Washburn emailed the GAB about this situation. When he did not receive an answer, he submitted an Open Records request to the GAB, with no reply. On May 2, he submitted another, again to no response. On May 4, he turned the case over to Dane County Attorney, and on May 14 he kicked it up to the Department of Justice.

Why is Command Central offering free machines? Why does the GAB not respond? Will the Department of Justice respond in time to help protect our June 5th recall elections?

Are these the “tough questions” clerks were being trained to answer?

Comments

lovecraft
Kind of late to bring this

Kind of late to bring this up.

WorkerBee
WorkerBee's picture
Who is the author of the

Who is the author of the story? Do you have any links that back up these claims?

ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture
The source is the first line

The source is the first line of my post:

Please read the whole article — twenty times what I felt right in cut-&-pasting

It appeared 5-22, but I didn't hear about it until the Mark Crispin Miller email of 6-4

Still, after the fact is very important.  We need to raise the hue-and-cry, and make as much noise as possible, before during and after, especially if we — God forbid — lose, but even if we win.  This stuff is just gonna keep on happening, and the evidence is rather juicy here.

I'm hoping Thom will pick it up and run with it.  I'm also surprised BradBlog has no reference to it.

Googling Brad I just now discovered a great summary from Election Defense Alliance, (BradBlog is quoted therein, but from 2008 on a tangential issue, not this one) Jonathan Simon's group, that analyzed the stinky election of Scott Brown in Massachusetts.  For the record, Brown won all the towns that were machine counted, where Martha Coakley won all the towns that were hand counted.  [See the interview of Simon by Peter B. Collins on the subject]

Did GOP Steal Ted Kennedy’s Senate Seat?

Since that interview (9-16-10) Peter B has put a paywall up on his site, so don't feel right about posting a link to my copy, but his brief summary at least has a link to Simon's study of the matter — actually it's here.

WorkerBee
WorkerBee's picture
ProudPrimate wrote: The

ProudPrimate wrote:

The source is the first line of my post:

That just brings me to the home page, your story was not readily visible there. Odd that if they have proof of such vote fraud that they do not deem it worthy enough to put on their front page.

ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture
Well!  I apologize.  I should

Well!  I apologize.  I should have checked my links.

Here it is — thanks for staying with it.

I'm correcting the two posts above as well

ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture
I seem to be unable to edit

I seem to be unable to edit my middle post, but I apologize for the bad link.  Here is the correct one.

louiejc
louiejc's picture
It is increasingly begining

It is increasingly begining to look as if this country is willing to give up on itself, give up on self rule in favor of feudalism. We appear to me, to be going backward past.

deepseas
deepseas's picture
After 2000 and 2004 the issue

After 2000 and 2004 the issue of the Diebold machines and rigging was confirmed. So Congress and media knew this would come up again. Nothing has been done. Why would Washburn wait so long from January to May before asking for a reply...in a critical election year?? Too many questions. Too many holes. Too much silence from Democrats.  

I certainly hope Thom will address this.

cheddar911
cheddar911's picture
You have the basic premise

You have the basic premise correct in your initial post here, but Command Central does not control 100% of Wisconsin voting machines. Command Central controls 3000 voting machines in 46 districts. I don't know what percent of the statewide machines that is. Not an insignificant amount, so the point of the post remains. Two people operating out of a small stripmall in Minnesota are programming the machines and counting the ballots for 3000 Wisconsin voting machines. And did I mention they share the address with a Michelle Bachman office? Different suites though. Isn't that sweet? Here's a link to the article: "Meet Command Central, the People in Charge of Wisconsin Voting Machines"

Fiona Mackenzie
The offer of these voting

The offer of these voting machines was revealed some time after the Waukesha County scandals.  It was incredibly shocking that it was so blatant.  I, for one, didn't think Walker would dare accept after the outrage over this OBVIOUS cheat, and when I didn't hear any more about it, I thought of course it had gone away.  I'm shocked today to learn that it was a done deal without, apparently, any more opposition.  Had I known that, I wouldn't have had even as much optimism as I had, still, this morning.

stigma_stomper
stigma_stomper's picture
ProudPrimate wrote: Wisconsin

ProudPrimate wrote:

****note: bad link has been corrected****

Meet Command Central, the People in Charge of Wisconsin Voting Machines

Massive tide of red flags issuing from this two-person storefront company that controls 100% of Wisconsin voting machines, whose office is down the hall from Michelle Bachman's office!

The article's author wrote:

Command Central Makes Its Move—A Shady Deal With WI County Clerks

Last September, Election Integrity investigators discovered that unbeknownst to average citizens of Wisconsin, Command Central sent those 46 districts an offer: trade out your old Optech Insight Scanner for two DRE Touch Screen models, at no charge. The Optech machine is the one that paper ballots are fed through to read and register the votes.

While these machines are also susceptible to hacking (see Rep. Pridemore explain how to game the machine) in the case of a recount, it is possible to physically monitor the paper ballots as they are fed through the machine to see if they match the machine totals.

With DRE Touch Screens, however, one’s vote could be flipped and one would never know because there is no receipt or paper trail voters receive to confirm their vote was counted as voted. All that is left is a paper tape that shows votes and vote totals. If the machine is hacked, those totals have no other verifiable trail to confirm the results.

And yet according to John Washburn, this swap-out two-for-one offer violates the statutes issued by the GAB for State approved system as described on the Government Accountability Board’s website that requires the inclusion of an Optech Insight Scanner.

On January 13, 2012, Washburn emailed the GAB about this situation. When he did not receive an answer, he submitted an Open Records request to the GAB, with no reply. On May 2, he submitted another, again to no response. On May 4, he turned the case over to Dane County Attorney, and on May 14 he kicked it up to the Department of Justice.

Why is Command Central offering free machines? Why does the GAB not respond? Will the Department of Justice respond in time to help protect our June 5th recall elections?

Are these the “tough questions” clerks were being trained to answer?

Apparently, the people that chose to make this deal with Command Central didn't bother to do their homework and see if their choices would cause any conflict of interest.

MEJ
MEJ's picture
I tried to find some of the

I tried to find some of the numbers this morning, but had no luck. I'm wondering if the votes for Barrett are close to the number of recall signatures.

I also note that main stream media like ABC are touting Wisconsin as a big fiscal success turning a big deficit into a surplus. What's the truth there?

Mace
Mace's picture
This may explain what

This may explain what happened in Wisconsin. This individual is a Republican and he explains how the GOP steals elections. This is Velvet Revolution Interviews Stephen Spoonamore (segment 8). I would strongly suggest everyone watch all 8 segments (Segment 1 to 8) to fully understand the situation that we face as Americans. Not as Democrats or Republicans, but as Americans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1sz-xBxf8&list=PL7EA9A7F25C837D23&index=8&feature=plpp_video

Karolina
Karolina's picture
I feel certain that this is

I feel certain that this is what happened in Wisconsin.  Diebold creates the decisions.

We are living as though in NAZI Germany, the USSR, IRAN, etc. — and we vote just like the people there did.

Gordon Hilgers
Gordon Hilgers's picture
The very least Diebold, the

The very least Diebold, the company with the oddly ironic name, could do is manufacture voting machines that give the voter a paper receipt. 

Furthermore, isn't it odd that, while there is little evidence of voter fraud in the US, Republican state legislatures are instilling new voter laws--even as people see that what they are doing also has a name? 

Election fraud, dummies.  Election fraud. 

gdale805
gdale805's picture
Do you know how we can find

Do you know how we can find out which districts here in WI accepted those "free" machines?

Kate Anne
Kate Anne's picture
Election integrity is

Election integrity is essential but you didn't cite the authors' names (Barbara With, Marianne M. Moonhouse and John Washburn) and then have some bad links but I found the article at the Wisconsin Citizen Media Coop after "looking" inside of the links you provided:  http://tinyurl.com/8a969me a/k/a http://preview.tinyurl.com/8a969me -- Maybe this will be helpful to others who wish to follow up. 

Wonder if Brad Friedman of BradBlog.com will follow up. I know from his writings (and being on Thom's show) he's aware of the use of some touch screens but this deal was new to me. Scary. 

I'm from NYC and I've only heard of the Bronx NY precinct mess from Brad recently. Now THAT hits home. VERY scary. 

Let's keep on it.

tribalscribal
tribalscribal's picture
So far Brad is only covering

So far Brad is only covering uncounted absentee ballots and the probable need for a count of all the paper ballots:
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=9333

No word there on machines, nor at Blackbox Voting.

I'm of the opinion that a bought election is a stolen election anyway, but attention needs to be paid to these other troubling aspects, especially by the media.....however that's not happening. Spread the word!

Barbara With
Barbara With's picture
I am one of the authors of

I am one of the authors of this article. I have researched the hackable voting machines after I was at the Supreme Court recount in May 2011, where we found over 800 anomalies that should have discounted the votes that weren't. The judges at the recount were Republicans working with Kathy  Nickolaus. The Government Accountability Board was NOT shown all the evidence of the possible fraud, withheld admittedly by Director Kevin Kennedy.

I was the one who went to Ladysmith and interviewed the voting machine vendor. While I agree that there are corrupt people who participate, these voting machines can easily pull the election towards one side by spreading out the fraud.

John Washburn did an open records request for the prom packs, which I believe is still pending. That alone is illegal, to ignore and not offer up the open information.

Election fraud is not a conspiracy theory. There is so much evidence, it's awful the way it is ignored by corporate press.

I aboslutely believe this recall election was stolen, and it was a message to us in Wisconsin...don't screw with the corporate powers that be. It also sets us up for a national steal in November.

Why doesn't Thom Hartmann do the entire nation a favor and REPORT THIS? He does not HAVE to agree, but he certainly can see there is enough evidence that we MUST return to hand count paper ballots. LIke they do in Kenya, who has the world's cleanest elections. They hand count in public. Kenya has more honest elections than the US.

Meanwhile stop debating whether or not this article is true. Do your own research. Blackboxvoting. org, Brad Friedman, Bob Fitrakis, search youtube for the video of the Princeton students hacking a machine. It's all there.

We MUST reform our elections to demand hand count paper ballots. Anything less is resulting in internal terrorism.

ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture
@Barbara With: I congratulate

@Barbara With:

I congratulate you on this article. Too bad Mark Crispin Miller didn't email it around sooner. I'm away from my computer on my handheld now, but wasn't your article back in February? I found it very convincing and damning in its clarity.

Again, I apologize to the forum for not checking my links immediately.

The Peter B. interview with Jonathan Simon RE. the Brown/Coakley race is equally damning.

Until we get hand counted votes we have absolutely nothing, in my view.

Trailless voting machines, voter purges, and Citizens United. It's just like the bombing of Baghdad. They are robbing us with every tool they can imagine.

Karolina
Karolina's picture
I really hope this is wil yet

I really hope this is wil yet turn into a huge voting fiasco that will spur some big changes. It is beyond absurd and wildly illegal.

kodowdus
kodowdus's picture
lovecraft wrote: Kind of late

lovecraft wrote:

Kind of late to bring this up.

How early would be early enough? As of nearly four years later, the highly incriminating circumstances surrounding the death of Mike Connell have received no attention whatsoever...

ryanj0
ryanj0's picture
     This was obviously done

This was obviously done to influence the recall...  They only started making the offers to transfer optical scanners to unverifiable "DRE" touchscreen machines after the Senate recalls in 2011 so the timing couldn't have been more convenient...  And, given as Walker's recall election was the first election they were used, it creates even more suspicion...  Here's an article I wrote in January about the situation...  This was the first article in WI about Command Central...

NMCasey
NMCasey's picture
I believe in Germany the

I believe in Germany the Supreme Court set a precedent with a law suit filed declaring disenfranchisement of the voter from their vote using computer or software based systems. In Germany now, they count paper ballots by hand. When software, chips-bios driven software, or CPU based systems are used, people can not witness the process. This alienates the citizen from their constitutional right to control their government through elections because they can NOT participate in the software driven process.  They modeled their Constitution after the U.S. Constitution after WWII. They are showing U.S. how to use our Constitutional Rights.

Count paper ballots in the polls on election day by hand.  Count precinct's results at the county level by hand and count county results by hand at the state level, then count state's results by hand at the federal level.

MoJoWorkin
MoJoWorkin's picture
There's been a lot of

There's been a lot of discussion and some excellent information posted

in the "Wisconsin" forum at democraticunderground.

Links to 2 of the threads:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10843603

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10843424

Anyone working on an article, doing research or still not able to digest everything that's happened could do worse than check out what's been posted.

The only line of thought I haven't seen there, that was posted elsewhere is this paragraph, from the recent weekend edition of Counterpunch:

Quote:
On strategy, Walker’s campaign was a fairly typical deployment of the Powell Doctrine (itself taken from Harry G. Summer’s musings on strategy following the US’s Vietnam debacle) to use overwhelming force against an opponent.  Walker’s campaign carpet-bombed media with non-stop television and radio commercials for a half-year.  Meanwhile, they positioned what seems to be an army of professional bloggers to control comment forums in the local press.  In effect, they crowded out the public and often aggressively spread outright falsehoods on these sites, thus moving the Internet from a place of democratic dissent to use as a tool for reactionary power.  This itself represents a major turn in the management of public opinion.

Ironic, in that posting on blogs at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's website is what got some of Walker's staffers in trouble (campaigning on the tax-paying public's dime), with the County John Doe investigation.

Pierpont
Pierpont's picture
ProudPrimate wrote: Did GOP

I don't doubt the Right, which has an inherent distaste of democracy, might want to undermine it... even through election fraud. But sometimes candidates like Martha Coakly, and the Democratic Party are just too cocky or just incompetent idiots.

ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture
Mark Crispin Miller comes

Mark Crispin Miller comes through again with coverage of this excellent article by the stalwart Bob Fitrakis at The Free Press of Columbus OH:
"Wisconsin: None dare call it vote rigging "

Bob makes the point that the gold standard for election credibility world-wide have long been exit polls, and that statisticians have a deeply established systematic foundation to evaluate discrepancy between exit polls and official tallies.  When a mismatch of 7% occurs, as here, and the "press" doesn't press it, maybe we should begin organizing a covered wagon caravan to another planet. 

It makes me glad I'm old, like Hezekiah [2Kings 20]:

"[16] And Isaiah said unto Hezekiah, Hear the word of the LORD.
[17] Behold, the days come, that all that is in thine house,and that which thy fathers have laid up in store unto this day, shall be carried into Babylon: nothing shall be left, saith the LORD.
[18] And of thy sons that shall issue from thee, which thou shalt beget, shall they take away; and they shall be eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon.
[19] Then said Hezekiah unto Isaiah, Good is the word of the LORD which thou hast spoken. And he said, Is it not good, if peace and truth be in my days?"

I've got enough to live out my few days in relative peace, tending my bean rows like Dustin Hoffman in Papillon, but where is there to escape to, if America goes down?

One shred of hope is Germany:

Vote Rescue wrote:
In March 2009, Germany banned e-voting because two German citizens, Dr. Ulrich Wiesner and his father, Joachim Wiesner, filed a lawsuit declaring e-voting “unconstitutional” under the German Constitution (which, by the way, the final language put into their Constitution had to be approved by the U.S. after World War II). To further bolster their argument against e-voting, the Wiesners requested the help of a group of computer security experts, who were members of the Chaos Compute Club, to demonstrate for the Court technically how the voting system’s counting the votes was totally unobservable by the average citizen. In response to their lawsuit and the demonstration, the German Federal Constitutional Court ruled in favor of the Wiesners. The Court even took it a step further. They also ruled that no amount of testing or government checks of any kind, such as post election audits or recounts, can substitute for public observation. Ultimately, they unanimously declared that e-voting was, indeed, unconstitutional because computerized, secret vote counting does not subscribe to the democratic standards of their country! All elections in Germany have now reverted back to the use of hand-counted paper ballots

ProudPrimate
ProudPrimate's picture
Pierpont wrote: ProudPrimate

Pierpont wrote:

I don't doubt the Right, which has an inherent distaste of democracy, might want to undermine it... even through election fraud. But sometimes candidates like Martha Coakly, and the Democratic Party are just too cocky or just incompetent idiots.

Is that how you account for the fact that every town that was hand counted went for Coakley and every town that was machine counted went for Brown?

Or do you just default to whatever the press said at the time, taking the mentally easy path?

Karolina
Karolina's picture
ProudPrimate wrote:One shred

ProudPrimate wrote:
One shred of hope is Germany:
Vote Rescue wrote:
In March 2009, Germany banned e-voting because two German citizens, Dr. Ulrich Wiesner and his father, Joachim Wiesner, filed a lawsuit declaring e-voting “unconstitutional” under the German Constitution (which, by the way, the final language put into their Constitution had to be approved by the U.S. after World War II). To further bolster their argument against e-voting, the Wiesners requested the help of a group of computer security experts, who were members of the Chaos Compute Club, to demonstrate for the Court technically how the voting system’s counting the votes was totally unobservable by the average citizen. In response to their lawsuit and the demonstration, the German Federal Constitutional Court ruled in favor of the Wiesners. The Court even took it a step further. They also ruled that no amount of testing or government checks of any kind, such as post election audits or recounts, can substitute for public observation. Ultimately, they unanimously declared that e-voting was, indeed, unconstitutional because computerized, secret vote counting does not subscribe to the democratic standards of their country! All elections in Germany have now reverted back to the use of hand-counted paper ballots

What if citizens in Wisconsin follow the lead of the Wiesners in Germany, and file a lawsuit declaring e-voting unconstitutional?

Doing this now before the November election, might be an act of "nation-saving."

JohnWashburn15
JohnWashburn15's picture
The certification question is

The certification question is the open records request pending before the WI Government Accountability Board which asks: "If the all touch screen system Comand Central deployed in Barron County Wisconsin is certified, then can I see the paperwork the GAB created while certifying that system?"

The GAB is still taking the 5th.  The current synopsis of this issue is documented here:Command Central Swap Out.

On the broader front regarding the legality of the electronic systems, there is open records enforcement action: Washburn v. Village of Fox Point which attacks this indirectly, but with the excellent tools of the Wisconsin Open Records laws.  If the contents of the memory cards are declared open records, then the contents are records which must be retained for 22 months as election records.  Most voting systems cannot do this backup.

The complete archives are here and are here. If you have questions regarding these matters, my email address is: John at Washburn Research period Oh Are Gee