Health care talking points

11 posts / 0 new

Just a couple of quich thought on the discussion following the supreme court decision this morning. We here the meme, "do not let the perfect become the enemy of the good.". In response I would say do not let incremental change become the enemy of a functional minimum of human decency. Also we here that change does not come over night. To this one must wonder how such arguments can be used to re-enforce the status quo, or at least in relation to howi the status quo cannot be changed significantly in a short period of time. These same arguments come up regarding the war on terror, climate change, and most of the signifcant issues facing us.

I am not claiming there is not some truth and wiggle room within these arguments, but I worry that the voices of conservative change among progressive forces is tending to be the dominant meme and it worries me

Semi permeable memebrain's picture
Semi permeable ...

Comments

The House is already going to try to appeal in July. Does this shit ever end? Let's move on to the economy now and get something done.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Immediately following a liberal radio talkshow's spiking the of the ball in the endzone after the SCOTUS ruling this morning to uphold the massive expansion of our for-profit private health insurance scam (otherwise known as ObamaCare), I turned the dial to a local right-wing show. I would have expected more satisfaction from the witnessing the sour grapes being tossed around by the callers who expected to be spiking that ball themselves this morning, but realized this ruling could have easily gone the other way. Furthermore, this ruling may do more to strengthen the for-profit private health insurance industry than to expand access to affordable healthcare. It was refreshing to smell the humility brewing in the right-wing radio world, but this is far from a ball spiking moment for anyone. I'll take it though and get ready for the next battle.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

What liberal radio were you listening to? Is it available streaming over an internet site?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

oops

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood
Quote douglaslee:

What liberal radio were you listening to? Is it available streaming over an internet site?

Stephanie Miller. Her and Bill press are now on Current TV network. I'm not sure of internet capabilities. We are fortunate in Chicago to have an independent progressive station WCPT that is offered 24/7. I believe WCPT can be streamed:

http://chicagosprogressivetalk.com/

Do you have any local progressive radio available to you Douglas? Unfortunately, many Americans do not. Of course the right-wing media machine claims that the market is the cause of that, but we know better.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Today the Supreme Court upheld the main parts of Obamacare. The key component that was upheld today was the "Freeloader Tax." It is a tax on freeloaders, who are unwilling to take steps to make sure that the medical care they receive will be paid for.
Historically, they have been allowed to evade payment. When they needed medical care they would get it, without paying. The hospital treating them would simply raise rates on everyone who does pay to make up for the costs of treating the freeloaders
Today, the Supreme Court said that it is OK to tax the freeloaders, with the tax going to cover at least some of the costs of providing them with medical care. THe result of this is hospitals will have less need to inflate the bills of all of us who have been paying our own way all along. And that is a good thing.

RogerSW's picture
RogerSW

You know what will happen. All of the states with republican governors are going to completely ignore the ruling until after the election. They hope that by that time they'll have a republican president, house and senate, and then they'll just destroy the entire thing. True Americans. Sad.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Am I misunderstanding this Act? The IRS is in charge of collecting the fines.. taxes from those who don't buy insurance. There are no penalties, civil,criminal, or monetary on people who don't pony up the "taxes" so how in the world do you force the +/-50% of Americans who pay no Federal income taxes to participate?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote Laborisgood:
Quote douglaslee:

Stephanie Miller. Her and Bill press are now on Current TV network. I'm not sure of internet capabilities. We are fortunate in Chicago to have an independent progressive station WCPT that is offered 24/7. I believe WCPT can be streamed:

http://chicagosprogressivetalk.com/

Do you have any local progressive radio available to you Douglas? Unfortunately, many Americans do not. Of course the right-wing media machine claims that the market is the cause of that, but we know better.

I'm in Sweden, so I usually catch shows time delayed or archived on internet. We have RT [and Lithuania, Latvia..] and Comedy Central so we are pretty well informed.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

I'm in Sweden, so I usually catch shows time delayed or archived on internet. We have RT [and Lithuania, Latvia..] and Comedy Central so we are pretty well informed.

I'd say calling yourself "pretty well informed" is very modest.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.