Individual Healthcare Mandate

6 posts / 0 new

If Sup. Court finds the federal healthcare mandate unconstitutional, and Citizens United applies to state and local elections, then the Massachusetts healthcare law would also be unconstitutional. I hope someone addresses this.

Steve from Fairfax, VA

atty's picture
atty

Comments

That is an interesting question... I suspect that since it on the state level then it would still be constitutionally acceptable.

WorkerBee's picture
WorkerBee

No. Citizens United was about federal elections, and this Sup. Court now says that state/local election laws are controlled by the Citizens United ruling (i.e. unlimited sums of money can now come in). The Massachusets health care law has a mandate, which will also be illegal if the Court finds the fed. mandate unconstitutional. Thanks

atty's picture
atty

Overheard during oral arguments before SCOUS Anton Scalia made a comment inreply to the US Solicitor General about the individual mandate; The reqirement that hospitals must treat all patients in their emergancy rooms is just a law made by Congress and can be repaeled. This was in responce to the solicitor general's suggestion that the law in question is a mandate already in place and costs the insured $1000 per year.

Picture the patients refused treatment dying at the emergency room door after refused treatment and the sanitation service removing their dead bodies to the local landfill.

I did not serve 36 years in the military service to witness such cold hearted treatment of the poor and indigient.

A retired USAF Master Sargent.

ohiominuteman's picture
ohiominuteman

Thankfully, our Great President has delivered health care reform to an ungrateful nation, and the Freeloaders Tax is in place.

That's right, we should call it the Freeloaders Tax so that it's clear who the people are that refuse to be responsible.

Thanks.

Don't forget Marissa Alexander

atty's picture
atty

Precisely! Romney sold this mandate as a way to "stop the freeloaders" we alread pay for at the ER.

Personal responsibility my ass!

drc2

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.