Now, even Republicans are admitting they are committing treason

22 posts / 0 new

Rob Gray – a media strategist and former senior advisor to bankster Mitt Romney appeared on a local Fox affiliate in Boston and admitted that Republicans are working to make the economy worse. Gray said referring to lawmakers in his party, “they’re rooting against the economy somewhat because they think that the short-term pain of the next four months is much better than having additional four years of pain under Obama…if we have to suffer between now and November to get a better president for four years, they’re all for it.”

So forget about the millions of Americans who need help from foreclosure, the hundreds of thousands of Americans who are out of work and running out of unemployment benefits, and the millions of children who depend on food stamps to eat – Republicans in Congress are committed to making everyone suffer just so they can win the White House in November and give their super rich buddies more tax cuts. They might call it politics, but I call it treason.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Wow.... never thought they would come out and admit it..... and be proud of what they're doing!

AMAZING the gall of the Republicans.

delete jan in iowa
Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:

they think that the short-term pain of the next four months

But they've been pursuing this strategy since January 2009, even earlier considering they certainly knew they were going to pass TARP or something like TARP much earlier than September 2008. Bear Stearns crapped out in March 2008, the credit markets had seized up in August 2007, the writing was on the wall when housing prices per square foot started declining after Summer 2005.

chilidog
Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:

“they’re rooting against the economy

I find it interesting you are equating the 1st amendment to Treason....

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0

It is not the speech that is the issue, it is what they affirm doing and doing 'proudly' to the harm of their fellow Americans. I would probably reserve the "treason" word for more specific acts of disloyalty and betrayal; but I would also hope that such tactics would be punished by the electorate as "unAmerican" and "corrupt."

I do not know of anything like this on the Left. Compromise with Republican administrations to serve the interests of the country was normal, and even when the Republicans went hard Right, there was no attempt to sabotage the nation in opposing reckless acts of war and economic license. What we have seen from this GOP is a total negativity without any grain of conscience about prior advocacy of much of what Obama has sought. This is not about curbing bad policy, it is about preventing the success of good policy. Protesting going to war in Iraq could not prevent it, so the foolishness of the war is ours to judge. What Obama's modest economic proposals could have accomplished had they not been filibustered and ankle-bitten might have made hiim look good, so they cannot be ours to judge.

Even if the GOPimp Cult believes they are saving America from Obama, they do not have the civil perspective to respect the humanity and citizenship of others. They can do anything to win and disparage us for being timid or for fighting back. We are their "evil ones," so we are not "one of them." I say that they cut themselves off from us, and we have not done the same. It is not just that they justify the immediate pain to save us from our democratic process of trial and error, they do not recognize us as legitimate when we win. Even their 'wins' stink from swampgas, we let the system 'work.'

No matter how pathetic the bewildered response to sociopathology is, glorifying the latter is not the way to go. Speaking about sociopathology in public as if it were normal and acceptable may be free speech, but it is still shocking and disgusting.

drc2
Quote drc2:

It is not the speech that is the issue, it is what they affirm doing and doing 'proudly' to the harm of their fellow Americans. I would probably reserve the "treason" word for more specific acts of disloyalty and betrayal; but I would also hope that such tactics would be punished by the electorate as "unAmerican" and "corrupt."

Then i would suggest that you are NOT Thom. Who in his post equated "rooting" with Treason. Perhaps even the electorate will reward them.

I do not know of anything like this on the Left.

Than clearly you were in a coma 2004-2008. or self inflicted amnesia.

Capital.0's picture
Capital.0
Quote drc2:What we have seen from this GOP is a total negativity without any grain of conscience about prior advocacy of much of what Obama has sought. This is not about curbing bad policy, it is about preventing the success of good policy. Protesting going to war in Iraq could not prevent it, so the foolishness of the war is ours to judge. What Obama's modest economic proposals could have accomplished had they not been filibustered and ankle-bitten might have made hiim look good, so they cannot be ours to judge.

Even if the GOPimp Cult believes they are saving America from Obama, they do not have the civil perspective to respect the humanity and citizenship of others. They can do anything to win and disparage us for being timid or for fighting back. We are their "evil ones," so we are not "one of them." I say that they cut themselves off from us, and we have not done the same. It is not just that they justify the immediate pain to save us from our democratic process of trial and error, they do not recognize us as legitimate when we win.

I think that we are looking at two levels of GOP phenomenon here.

The much larger lower level are the FOX brainwashed and/or inherently sociopahic far right individuals who are indeed short sighted, but who unknowingly are laying down the groundwork for the higher level.

The higher level are those super-rich US oligarchs & think tanks & International oligarchs & think tanks, who have had long-sighted vision for decades, maybe even centuries. That vision is to create a fascist, authoritarian, totalitarian corporationed, global world—with "citizens" and "workers."

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Thom convieniently fails to mention that this guy was a "senior advisor" in - 2003. Is someone who worked for you 9 years ago qualified to speak as to your strategy now? Mr. Grey indicates that this is his opinion not that he has "insider" status.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

Thom convieniently fails to mention that this guy was a "senior advisor" in - 2003. Is someone who worked for you 9 years ago qualified to speak as to your strategy now? Mr. Grey indicates that this is his opinion not that he has "insider" status.

If you haven't been read all of the blog..... Newt Gingrich admitted to attending the January 20, 2009 meeting and that the GOP is committed to blocking all of the President economic policies. Mr. Grey only confirmed what has already been made public by Mr. Gingrich.

delete jan in iowa

Thanks Jan!

Karolina's picture
Karolina

OK Cap, I have my my Buck Fush and my Impeach Bush/Cheney shirts, and I still remember that the Dems did not fail to "support the troops" nor did they begin the impeachment proceedings they ought to have were there any balance to your assertion. They did not really hold hearings or dare to act against these wars once they were started. To say that there was any bipartisan process leading to these wars is to treat the facade as the building.

There was no intentional plot to undermine the American economy or make the wars more harmful to make Bush look worse than he was doing himself. Of course, to be fair, he was doing a bang-up job of failing and screwing up everything. Still, had the wars gone well and Osama been captured, I don't think the Dems would have been depressed and angry about it.

My point was not that there was no heated disagreement with Bush/Cheney. I would go back to the vendetta practiced against Clinton or to the Willie Horton stuff and the dirty tricks against Carter to find a better point of descent into darkness. As to "treason," I would cite the Nixon stuff with the S. Vietnamese, Reagan's "hostage" gambit and lying us into war for profit ahead of the political crapfest the Right has indulged itself in in Congress. If the paranoid Cheney is not guilty of lying, then the delusional GOPimps may not know the damage they are doing either. It may not be treason if it is just seriously depraved delusional psychosis.

The effect on America is not changed much by the difference between treason and delusion, however, and those of us on the Left who have ever hoped for things to get worse in order to get better have always been in the passive role during that phase. That argument was used against those who would compromise or go along with lesser evils in favor of the "wake up call" of a more radical Right. It appealed to Left radicals who wanted something other than moderation.

This is not amnesia at all. It is memory able to see through the cartoons and distorted images the Right uses to shield us from the real past. Those with amnesia just say that both sides do it and try to hide in the fog of ambiguity. They would never call the GOPimps "traitors." You have to expect it of those who would serve in public office for the ignorance of their actions and the consequences to be given civil and moral accountability. Otherwise, they just go on being the fools on the hill. We need to do better than that.

drc2

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rev-al-sharpton-catches-newt-gingrich-telling...

"The guest list that night (which was just over 15 people in total) included Republican Reps. Eric Cantor (Va.), Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Paul Ryan (Wis.), Pete Sessions (Texas), Jeb Hensarling (Texas), Pete Hoekstra (Mich.) and Dan Lungren (Calif.), along with Republican Sens. Jim DeMint (S.C.), Jon Kyl (Ariz.), Tom Coburn (Okla.), John Ensign (Nev.) and Bob Corker (Tenn.). The non-lawmakers present included Newt Gingrich, several years removed from his presidential campaign, and Frank Luntz, the long-time Republican wordsmith. Notably absent were Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) -- who, Draper writes, had an acrimonious relationship with Luntz."

Alledgedly (according to a poster called trueblues) fewer than 20 people. Hardly an all powerful cabal deadset on political Armageddon. It is also irrelevant to the fact that Thom portrayed Gray as an important player in the campaigne when he is not.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rev-al-sharpton-catches-newt-gingrich-telling...

"The guest list that night ... relationship with Luntz."

Alledgedly (according to a poster called trueblues) fewer than 20 people. Hardly an all powerful cabal deadset on political Armageddon. It is also irrelevant to the fact that Thom portrayed Gray as an important player in the campaigne when he is not.

The voting record of the Republican House and the Republicans in the Senators confirm that indeed there is a "plot/plan/scheme" to block the President's efforts to get the economy going and move the country out of this depression. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....

You do not want to see or admit to what's going on... well, that's irrelevant.

delete jan in iowa

They have encountered little or no "opposition" from the leadership or any caucus in the GOPimparty. The strategy agreed to has been implemented and enforced so that lock step and message consistency is the nature of their flock. The idea that this was a small or marginal group of GOPimps is not born out by what has followed.

Had they voted for sound economic policies or just gone along with their own historic ideas and proposals, we could look upon this gathering as a momentary gripe session rather than a plan. It has been economic sabotage and political thuggery carried out by self-righteous zealots, not just payback for some prior partisanship on the Left.

drc2

The truth is that we have a President that is helping them rob the treasury and enslave the poor and middleclass (what's left of it). Back in 2002, the top 10 banks controlled 55 percent of all U.S. banking assets. Today, the top 10 banks control 77 percent of all U.S. banking assets. Unfortunately, these giant banks are also colossal mountains of risk, debt and leverage. They are incredibly unstable and they could start coming apart again at any time. None of the major problems that caused the crash of 2008 have been fixed. In fact, the U.S. banking system is more centralized and more vulnerable today than it ever has been before.

These "too big to fail" banks have been able to borrow gigantic amounts of money from the Fed for next to nothing and yet they still refuse to let credit flow to local communities. Instead, the big banks have found other purposes for all of the super cheap money that they have been getting from the Fed as Ellen Brown recently explained....

It can be very profitable indeed for the big Wall Street banks, but the purpose of the near-zero interest rates was supposed to be to get banks to lend again. Instead, they are, indeed, paying “outrageous bonuses to their top executives;” using the money to engage in the same sort of unregulated speculation that nearly brought down the economy in 2008; buying up smaller banks; or investing this virtually interest-free money in risk-free government bonds, on which taxpayers are paying 2.5 percent interest (more for longer-term securities).

Both parties are committed to making everyone suffer just to win the White House in November and make their super rich puppetmasters even richer.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

We need to get that regulation in there. Word-for-word Glass-Steagall, because the banksters have no morals, ethics or loyalties.

Anything weaker than Glass-Steagall — and they have no fear, clearly.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Glass-Steagal and the Bank Holding Company Act of 1950 which threw up a firewall between banking and insurance.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

You want to examine the voting record. OK let's do that - on the 30 some odd bills passed by the House, some bi-partisan, at least to some degree, sent to the Senate in the last few months. Oh! That's right, we can't. Harry Reid won't bring them to the floor. When he does bring one to a vote he "trims the tree", not allowing amendments thus no discussion, then feigns outrage that it takes 60 votes to pass something.

I am a Democrat, a conservative one, and I see plenty of fault for deadlock on both sides. That is relevant.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote camaroman:Glass-Steagal and the Bank Holding Company Act of 1950 which threw up a firewall between banking and insurance.

Conservative banking and speculative banking (i.e.gambling).

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote mjolnir:

You want to examine the voting record. OK let's do that - on the 30 some odd bills passed by the House, some bi-partisan, at least to some degree, sent to the Senate in the last few months. Oh! That's right, we can't. Harry Reid won't bring them to the floor. When he does bring one to a vote he "trims the tree", not allowing amendments thus no discussion, then feigns outrage that it takes 60 votes to pass something.

I am a Democrat, a conservative one, and I see plenty of fault for deadlock on both sides. That is relevant.

True Dat! But when it comes to really important issues concerning our current economic stress there has been way too much snubbing of the nose by the republicans on behalf of the American people. Politics is politics but when politics becomes more important than citizens starving or going bankrupt then they've crossed the line.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Don't tell anyone......but I heard a rumor that the Republicans are conspiring to overturn the 2012 election.....ssshhhh!!!

spunout's picture
spunout
Quote mjolnir:

You may be right, but I believe there is more culpability on the GOP side.. I say this simply because GOP extremists continue to say “NO!” to things they’ve done THEMSELVES in the past to help rescue us from recessions. Namely, spending.

An interesting piece by Ezra Klein illustrates this in the area of public worker hiring. The GOP knew that public worker hiring was a key part of THEIR success in getting us out of the last 3 recessions, so it’s no wonder they’ve centered much of their resistance to Obama on the demonizing of public workers.

Quotes from this Piece:

“Since Obama was elected, the public sector has lost about 600,000 jobs. If you put those jobs back, the unemployment rate would be 7.8 percent.”

“At this point in George W. Bush’s administration, public-sector employment had grown by 3.7 percent. That would be equal to a bit over 800,000 jobs today. If you add those hypothetical jobs, the unemployment rate falls to 7.3 percent.”

“In the equivalent period following the 1990 and 2001 recessions, local government employment grew 7.7 and 5.2 percent. Even following the 1981 recession, by this stage local government employment was up by 1.4 percent...”

“If state and local governments had followed the pattern of the previous two recessions, they would have added 1.4 million to 1.9 million jobs and overall unemployment would be 7.0 to 7.3 percent instead of 8.2 percent.”

“Note that a Republican was president after the 1981, 1990 and 2000 recessions. Public-sector austerity looks a lot better to conservatives when they’re out of power than when they’re in it.”

In all cases, the GOP President got help from Democratic lawmakers and Democrats in state governments. Does the GOP help Obama now? Nope. It's called "governing," and the GOP has forgotten how to do it in their blind ideological coma.

So, if Obama were allowed to use the same tools as the past 3 GOP Presidents used to help them escape recessions, we’d be at 7%, not 8.2% unemployment.

Sorry, there may be blame on both sides but I don’t think anyone can argue this extremist GOP is not sabotaging Obama’s efforts to help us get out of the recession.

Links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/public-sector-austerity-in-one-graph/2012/06/11/gJQAv89NVV_blog.html#pagebreak

Video Clip:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/47774722#47774722

al3's picture
al3

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.