In NYC 50,000 people marched in silence on Sunday to protest The NYPD’s “stop and frisk”

3 posts / 0 new

An estimated 50,000 people took to the streets of New York City on Sunday to silently march against the NYPD’s controversial “stop and frisk” policy. The policy allows police officers on the streets to randomly stop people and search them with little to no probable cause. Roughly 300 civil rights groups took part in the march arguing that “stop and frisk” unfairly targets blacks and Hispanics.

In 2011 alone, more than 685,000 people were stopped on the street by NYPD officers despite no charges being filed. Of those people, 87% were black or Hispanic. According to reports from Alternet’s reporter Kristen Gwynne – the peaceful march turned chaotic as officers split the march in two and tried to kettle in group of demonstrators. Several people were arrested.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

OMG.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Fifty Thousand is an enormously Huge Number. Especially if you include the fact that most of these marchers were black males. The New York Post reported that the estimated size of the rally was between 25 and 50 thousand? The big media sources I checked on line seemed to downplay the importance of this historic event and reported the number at several thousand. And were quick to point out that the marchers were led by Al Sharpton. (Most failed to mention other prominent leaders taking part including Ben Jealous of the NAACP and Congressman Charles Rangel. Are they downplaying the actual size of the event to minimize it's impact? I think that if there were several thousand mostly black marchers silently streaming from Harlem to Downtown and the police only made seven arrests, that is a huge story. (I wonder if the arrests were for acts of violance.) And why did the Huffington Post post it's report of this civil rights event in the Gay News section of it's website, and not as a front page headline? Of all the news sources listed on Google at 7:00 pm, on the day after the march the Huffington Post report comes up at the top of the list. I had to scroll down google to the third page of the news search results to find any reporting by CBS, NBC, or FOX. I guess the rest of the main stream media just doesn't consider this to be news worth promoting? And the report on FOX was not a news story. It was an op ed commentary by Geraldo Rivera (FOX's token Liberal) saying that the police should continue the practice, but should refrain from being bullies while stopping and frisking.

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave

Currently Chatting