Obamacare non-compliance penalty is ethereal says Lawrence O'Donnell!

6 posts / 0 new

Thom, you should know that Lawrence O'Donnell has been describing the "tax penalty" for people who choose to forgo buying health care insurance has NO TEETH! The bills framers specifically says that if people refuse to voluntarily pay the penalty they is no mechanism to collect it - and it won't be deduct from their tax return either! The bill specifically says 1] no criminal penalty or sanction may be imposed, and 2] no civil penalty or sanction may be imposed either. Please correct the misconception of your last interviewee. Thanks ~Ed

Ed Chainey's picture
Ed Chainey

Comments

I'm by no means an expert on this, like Thom, however, I am in the middle of reading the 193 page decision from the SC and I believe that the Statute states that anyone choosing not to purchase medical insurance will be required to pay a "penalty" or "tax" to the IRS. This tax is collected by the IRS through normal means of taxation and as everyone knows, the IRS is not shy about seeking payment.

VCruz27's picture
VCruz27

I'm like you folks and everyone else, still sorting this out. I saw a "small business owner" talking about this the other day. His take was that, as an example, 60 employees the fine was $750.00 per year, per employee. Simple assessment, no fines, no crimes, IRS applies it to your tax return = 45 thou. Can you insure 60 employees for $45,000? Little man loses again?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

OK, sort out why taxpayers in modern democracies with government funded health care pay less for better results than we do. If your complaint is that "Obamacare" is a repackaged Heritage Foundation invention test run as "Romneycare," and that it is a give-away to private health insurance--a notorious no value added entitlement rip-off--then come on over to the Single Payer tent.

Yes, the "little person" loses when democracy is hijacked by Corporate. This is the endemic American problem. It is why small business should want public healthcare and an end to business/employee based funding. Progressives got here earlier and want to help you compete.

drc2

Little man has 60 employees?

I guess that's fewer than 500 employees.

http://web.sba.gov/faqs/faqindex.cfm?areaID=24

chilidog

It's funny how repubs love free market yet want employees to be limited to the health insurance the boss selects. Ditto-end the employment/insurance connection and bring on the exchanges! Anyone getting car insurance from their employer-gas, food etc? Why then medical insurance?

DynoDon

Currently Chatting

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.