Private unions vs public unions

14 posts / 0 new

Thom today you had caller Mark from Jamesville Wisconsin speak about non support of public union workers for buying non union made products instead of UAW autos. You sounded surprised by his comments but he was spot on in his criticism. I live near Toledo and have found the same thing of our public union employees here. Most are driving foreign non union made cars and have not a clue of what UAW autoworkers think of it. I worked last year on the SB5 in Ohio and found public union workers blowing their KIA horns of support at our protests. I can tell you Mark speaks for most UAW autoworkers, take note of what he said because the UAW autoworker can no longer afford a middleclass lifestyle because of outsourcing, wagecuts, and foreign non union built cars flooding the American landscape. So it goes as the manufacturing Middleclass dwindles so goes the public union Middleclass.

wolfman's picture
wolfman

Comments

When will union people learn to see the bigger picture? The bigger picture is "your money" as long as you spend it in the 1% stores,we`re all guility of non-union/99% support. When we create our own union/99% stores and banks and then,only then will "our money" can plead "not guility"! We have a 1% with survival of the fittest moral code,the strong is good,the weak is bad. Union/99% the only way to survive is to be strong,you become strong by stop going to the 1% for what you can do yourself. We can do anything they can do,and we can do it better. How/why? All for one and one for all,is being "civilize". The big picture(Thom would agree) Why let others/special interest charge us into debt slavery,to do things we/union/99% can do ourselfs?? We can replace the 1% stores & banks with "Our's"! The solution is that simple,nobody have to get in the streets,go to jail,or get kill, we just "Do Our Thing"!

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Goodlick with tha

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

If the taxpayers were represented at the bargaining table there would be no problems with public unions. But they aren't, lots of times you have a career politician who is looking for votes negotiating for the taxpayers. These guys tend to cave in way too often, and the taxpayers get stuck with a bigger bill than they should have.

No such problems in the private sector, the guys paying the bills there are well represented at the table.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

The taxpayer? What are you saying? The working people end up not having to pay taxes in accord to how much they are earning?

According to you, only the corporations pay taxes? LOL. Where? When?

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote mauiman58:

If the taxpayers were represented at the bargaining table there would be no problems with public unions. But they aren't, lots of times you have a career politician who is looking for votes negotiating for the taxpayers. These guys tend to cave in way too often, and the taxpayers get stuck with a bigger bill than they should have.

The taxpayers (which includes the workers negotiating) can elect someone new in the next election to negotiate for them if they are so unhappy. There's always a remedy with the next election.

delete jan in iowa

A union member on a comment board wrote of past elections when her colleges voted R. It was because in her breakroom, there were NRA weekly, Rifle USA, Ammo this, Gun that magazines, and the ads run were "the D is going to take your guns". Her colleges at each election go on a Gun buying spree pre-election just in case. They all have stockpiles individually that could arm a militia.

The ballot was Walker/NRA/scab or Barret/union. Walker ran 'NRA gives Barret an F' ads at 20 to 1 ratios. A gun owner will work minimum age if he gets to keep his gun, a gun owner will not feed his family before he will sell his gun. A gun owner that is homeless will still have his gun to protect his shopping cart.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

That's the thing — besides greed, one of the other evil energies of the politics of GOP are stealthy, persistent lies.

Karolina's picture
Karolina
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote mauiman58:

The taxpayers (which includes the workers negotiating) can elect someone new in the next election to negotiate for them if they are so unhappy. There's always a remedy with the next election.

The problem is that the elected officials fear the unions so much they just cave in. The union (rightfully so) is trying to get its members as much as they can. Any politicain should say no to at least some of their demands, but often times they don't, fearing getting tossed from office. In the private sector you do not have that problem, the union cannot vote those they are bargaining with out of office. That is a fair fight.

As far as I know Tuesday was the first time the voters sided with a politician who stood up to any public union. That is going to have to have to happen more often going forward.

I know it sounds like I am anti union. Not in private sector, only the public sector.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58
Quote mauiman58:

As far as I know Tuesday was the first time the voters sided with a politician who stood up to any public union. That is going to have to have to happen more often going forward.

Reagan did a pretty good job with the air traffic controlers in (I think) 1981, and I get your point.

delete jan in iowa
Quote jan in iowa:The taxpayers (which includes the workers negotiating) can elect someone new in the next election to negotiate for them if they are so unhappy. There's always a remedy with the next election.

The problem was few people paid attention to the pension promises that politicians made during the last 15 or so years, now that pensions are taking up a good 20% of some cities budgets and crowding out other priorities people are starting to take notice.

WorkerBee's picture
WorkerBee

MAUI,you present a 1% argument,looking at your collapsing world, you have nothing to stand on. The 99% will become the new rulers,there will be no unions because everybody will be "the boss"! I hope you`re not anti-99%?

tayl44's picture
tayl44

How can everbody be the boss im confused?

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

In a system where everybody is boss,it mean the right to be heard and evrybody listen.If what you say is ok,that`s the power of being a boss. Do anybody have that power in capitalism?

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.