Rhode Island is now the 17the state in the nation to decriminalize possession of a small amount of marijuana

2 posts / 0 new

Independent Governor Lincoln Chafee signed the legislation into law, which makes possession of an ounce of marijuana or less a civil violation with a $150 fine, instead of a misdemeanor or felony.

Seven more states may join Rhode Island in the second half of the year – and may even go a step further and legalize and regulate marijuana like alcohol. Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, New York, New Hampshire, Ohio, and Pennsylvania all have ballot initiatives or legislation pending to legalize marijuana.

Though long overdue – Nixon’s half-century war on drugs may finally be nearing an end.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

I don't think this has that much to do with the war on drugs. I think this is a strategy to aleviate some of the overcrowded and expensive prison population. It's becoming a bigger and bigger expense to States and the Feds to maintain that many prisoners. No, I think this is more abour money, as usual.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Currently Chatting

Has Kansas Found the Cure for the Reaganomics Disease?

Reaganomics is like a bad disease; It just keeps on spreading. Thanks to 34 years of failed Reaganomics, the gap between the wealthy elite in America and everyone else is at an all-time high.