The road to democracy is often bumpy

4 posts / 0 new

Case in point: today – Egypt’s high court ruled that the country’s new Parliament – elected about six months ago – is unconstitutional. The high court determined that a full third of the legislation was elected illegally – and called for new elections for the entire Parliament to be held again.

After overthrowing a kleptocratic dictator in Hosni Mubarak last year – the Egyptians began the often difficult foray into self-governing democracy. Let’s hope they stick to it despite the setbacks.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

It's difficult to learn new patterns of thought once one has become accustomed to the dictums of experts in an authoritarian structure -- like those Supreme judicial experts who tell you what your Constitution defines and what that means to you. Oh my goodness, if you think for yourself on these matters you might be an anarchist!

.ren's picture
.ren

No offense but, I think that if I have to hear/read some "the-glass-is-half-empty" lemming, saying something analogous to some idiotic dogma, that "it is what it is and nothing can be done about it", I'm going to puke! It sounds like the sort of mentality most likely prevalent within the consensus of 2nd-amendment fanatics/extremists(?). It's analogous to driving a motor vehicle, then when a potential disaster suddenly appears in the road ahead, letting go of the steering wheel, curling up into a little ball, just to let whatever happens, happen. We need to step up to the plate, and DO SOMETHING!

Personally, it's my desire and intent to devote the majority of my energy and financial resources into becoming independant of the power/energy companies, and hopefully making my own biodiesel for my personal transportation (a VW-TDI), In addition, I plan to design and build an "experimental" electric city vehicle, rechargeable from the solar (& wind) power generator system(s) I hope to alos be installing soon.

It's been said, that "money is speech". So let's look and think more carefully as to where we spend our hard earned money. Look for products and services from entities biased toward environmental conscienciousness. For example, drop your AT&T or Verizon wireless service, in favor of Virgin Mobile. (IMHO)

That's "reality", folks; not the crap "they", on TV, say it is. So it costs a few bucks more. Doesn't the peace-of-mind, make up for the temporary loss(es) enough? Let's grow some "intestinal fortitude" and put our money where our mouths are, for a change. (can I get an 'amen'?)

One need not ALWAYS look at the situation as "a whole". It's okay to focus thought and effort toward even a small contribution in the direction we as a species on this wet ball orbiting a medium-sized orange star, NEED to be going; and NOW! Who was it... Gandhi(?) who said, (paraphrasing) 'when the followers lead, the leaders will follow'. And someone else has probably said, 'when each individual simply waits for someone else to start moving first (hopefully in the right direction), nothing (productive) happens. We need to be either getting busy living, or else getting busy dying.

And if there's anything we need to simply hope, it's that we're not starting too late.

Thanks for your attention!

X-Drifter

Really? Advertising?

I guess this shows the adaptability of the Eddie Bernays' stealthy techniques, now being used in our troubled world while we still having internet freedom. We are trying to figure out how to possibly bring our country back to being a healthy sovereign nation, and our world to being a politically, economically & environmentally healthy planet — and someone is trying to catch us off-guard here in our haven of discussion, to get us to hand money over to them.

Karolina's picture
Karolina

Currently Chatting

The Real Carbon “Monster” Revealed

Another day, another stupid assault on the truth by the fossil fuel industry and its paid lackeys. In a recent op-ed for the New York Post, Tom Harris, the executive director of the so-called International Climate Science Coalition -- an organization that’s funded, in part, by the fossil fuel industry -- blasted Leonardo DiCaprio for his work on “Carbon,” a new documentary on climate change that I helped write and present.