The States With The Safest Hospitals

4 posts / 0 new

It looks like 8 of the top 10 states with the safest hospitals are blue states. I would consider Virginia as a purple state and Tennessee as the lone red state.

Here are the states with the safest hospitals, rated from least to most safe:

10. Minnesota — hospitals with A grade: 37%
9. Delaware — hospitals with A grade: 40%
8. California — hospitals with A grade: 41%
7. Michigan — hospitals with A grade: 44%
6. Virginia — hospitals with A grade: 44%
5. Tennessee — hospitals with A grade: 48%
4. Illinois — hospitals with A grade: 48%
3. Vermont — hospitals with A grade: 50%
2. Maine — hospitals with A grade: 74%
1. Massachusetts — hospitals with A grade: 76%

I wasn't able to find a complete list of all the states.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/06/20/massachusetts-boasts-safest-hospitals-does-your-state-measure-up/

spicoli's picture
spicoli

Comments

I know that Houston has one of the best medical centers in the country.

CollegeConservative's picture
CollegeConservative

What the fuck does blue, red,purple, green got do do with this. Most hospitals are owned by big hospital corporations like HCA.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

It does make you wonder how they obtained the stats. In reading that connection, one criteria that they supposedly used was 'how transparent the hospital was'. Well now, how do you go about guaging, and comparing, 'how transparent hospitals are'? I suspect that 'transparency' is supposed to mean how upfront they recognize and report any errors. But, then, what can be used to confirm that if it's not in the very reports themselves? And, if you 'report too many', won't that get you a worse grade? So, how do you confirm that such reports are 'transparent'--and 'accurate'? If all you do, and can, go by are the reports, themselves.....

400 deaths each day due to hospital errors? What kind of errors? I hate statistics that don't expose enough information to guage their validity. Any examples of what they mean by 'deadly hospital errors'? And, where are those stats coming from? Are those the number of lawsuit allegations brought out--or the 'transparent reports' admitting it? Or, just how are they really getting these 'statistics'......and really determining these 'grades'.....(by the way, if they are going by the number of lawsuits brought out, as Texas has already done with changes in how medical malpractice litigation gets to court, those numbers are going to drop--does that mean that the 'hospitals have gotten safer'? You have to watch out for banking on what 'statistics' tell you....).

Kerry's picture
Kerry

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.