TAKE ACTION...The Navy's testing of far-reaching sonar & explosives threaten whales, dophins & other marine mammals!

13 posts / 0 new

The Navy is moving full speed ahead with plans for sonar and explosives training that threaten to deafen, injure -- and even kill -- countless whales, dolphins and other marine mammals.

Starting in 2014, the Navy will harass, injure, or kill marine mammals more than 33 million times in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans during five years of testing and training with sonar and explosives. Those alarming numbers come from the Navy itself!

They include more than five million instances of temporary hearing loss, 16,000 instances of permanent hearing loss, almost 9,000 lung injuries, and more than 1,800 deaths.

Please send a message right away, telling the Navy that inflicting such far-reaching harm on marine mammals is simply unacceptable.

The sheer scope of the Navy’s proposed training and testing activities is staggering, potentially assaulting entire populations of marine wildlife off the East Coast, Southern California, Hawaii and the Gulf states.

Navy ships will flood millions of square miles of ocean with high-intensity sonar, which is known to cause disorientation, hearing loss, stranding and death in whales. In addition, the Navy will be detonating high-powered explosives with the potential to fatally injure the lungs and other organs of marine mammals.

The waters around Hawaii and Southern California -- including critical habitat for endangered blue and humpback whales -- would be among the hardest hit. The Navy predicts that more than 1,000 marine mammals would be killed in this area alone.

And the threat to even one North Atlantic right whale may be one too many, as fewer than 400 of these survivors now hover on the brink of extinction.

The Navy should and must take common sense precautions -- like keeping training out of key whale habitat -- before launching this sonic assault. Such precautions will NOT compromise the nation’s military readiness.

Send a message right now, urging the Navy to enact tough safeguards for marine mammals before it conducts the next five years of training exercises.

Thank you for coming to the defense of whales! USE THE LINK BELOW!

http://www.savebiogems.org/action-center/

Sincerely,

Frances Beinecke
President
Natural Resources Defense Council

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Just incase you missed the above petition. Please sign it!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Here are some links of interest on the subject. The first link has listings of beaching taking place that are most likely due to the testing in the past. The second link has a short video.

http://www.earthportals.com/beachedwhales.html

http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/marine/sonar.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8rZxmCejD0&feature=related

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Here is some detailed information about the Navy testing program:

Agriculture Defense Coalition

ABCee's picture
ABCee

OMG...I don't know how you found that site but WOW there is a wealth of information there. Thank you for posting it! I hope others will check it out too. I'm glad to see my Senators name leading the charge to stop this!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I was just reading some of the Navy's environmental report and one thing that strikes me is how often this line is repeated>> *** may affect but are not likely to adversely affect certain ESA-listed marine mammals*** THEY KNOW THESE THINGS THEY PLAN ON DOING WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT MARINE MAMMALS but to pass it off like there won't be any problems they just keep saying "but are not likely to adversely affect" There is a HISTORY of these pratices adversely affecting whales and dolphins. The beached whales and dolphins beached themselves trying to get away from the L O U D noise that caused their ears and eyes to bleed! These carcasses have been studied and it was found that the noise from the sonar caused it. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE TRYING TO KID? Statement below is an example. You can read the full text here at this link. >> http://aftteis.com/Portals/4/aftteis/DEIS/Section/03.04_AFTT_DEIS_Marine_Mammals.pdf

Acoustics: Pursuant to the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA), the use of sonar, other active sources, and explosives may result in Level A harassment, Level B harassment, or mortality of certain marine mammals; pile driving is not expected to result in Level A harassment but may result in Level B harassment of bottlenose dolphins; the use of airguns, weapons firing, vessel noise, and aircraft noise are not expected to result in Level A or Level B harassment of any marine mammals. Pursuant to the Endangered Species Act (ESA), sonar and other active sources and explosives may affect and are likely to adversely affect certain ESA-listed marine mammals; pile driving, airguns, weapons firing, vessel noise, and aircraft noise may affect but are not likely to adversely affect certain ESA-listed marine mammals; and all acoustic sources will have no effect on marine mammal critical habitats.

Noise is of particular concern to marine mammals because many species use sound as a primary sense for navigating, finding prey, avoiding predators, and communicating with other individuals. Noise can cause behavioral disturbances, mask other sounds including their own vocalizations, and may even result in injury and in some cases, may lead to death (Tyack 2009; Würsig and Richardson 2008).

PEOPLE PLEASE SIGN AND CIRCULATE THE PETITION TO STOP THIS! WE ONLY HAVE UNTIL JULY 10TH AND THAT WILL BE HERE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

http://signon.org/sign/navy-under-water-sound?source=s.em.cr&r_by=2511113&mailing_id=4893

Friends of the Sea:
My deepest appreciation goes to each of you 238,525 who have signed this petition to date to stop the deliberate killing and maiming of our sea life. The petition will be delivered next week on Tuesday to be answered and included in the Environmental Impact Statement that must be filed and approved to allow this to continue. I am just one person who has personal experience with the cetacean community and know how truly wrong it is to invade our oceans with harmful sound and other forms of pollution. We can stop this; your outpouring of e-mails and letters tells me it is time for this change. Respecting the oceans is a way of affirming our own humanity and our willingness to live in harmony with the natural world. We only have a few days to make our voices heard. Would you be willing to post this once again and ask your friends who have not signed to sign? Your small action now can make a big difference, it as a way of leveraging your voice. I would like to arrive at the Navy offices with 500,000 names of people who are asking for this to change.

Whatever you do in your lives to make a difference in this world, do it with "GREAT PASSION". There are so many areas in our world that need healing and all of us have a responsibility to speak out and help each other in that process. Thanks to Signon.org, we can easily make our voices heard. It's not over till it's over and we still have a few days left. I urge you to take action if it is in your heart to do! Thank you a million times over.

Lyndia Storey
(mother, grandmother and lover of the sea)

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Today is the last day to sign and forward the petition to stop this from happening. If you have not signed PLEASE DO SO NOW! If you have not passed it along...PLEASE DO SO NOW! The petitions will be delivered tomorrow! Read below....

Subject: Navy to deafen 15,900 whales and dolphins and kill 1,800 more

Hi,

The Navy is required to include comments on their Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) re: the use of high frequency underwater sound for testing in Hawaii, the California and Atlantic Coasts, and the Gulf of Mexico. According to their estimates it will deafen more than 15,900 whales and dolphins and kill 1,800 more over the next 5 years. Whales and dolphins depend on sound to navigate and live. Your signature and comment will have to be included in the EIS and could stop this Naval program, potentially saving the lives of these ocean creatures. The comments must be in by July 10, 2012.

That's why I signed a petition to U.S. Navy EIS Comments.

Will you sign this petition? Click here:

http://signon.org/sign/navy-under-water-sound?source=s.em.cp&r_by=

Thanks!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Here are further details on this. An interview with Rosalind Peterson. YouTube video -

Rosalind Peterson LIVE Report: US NAVY Massacre with 11.7 Marine mammals at stake!

Is Rosalind Peterson to be heard on Progressive Talk Radio, or just this message board?

ABCee's picture
ABCee

I'm listening to it right now. I don't think this broadcast makes it to Los Angeles. Thanks for posting it.

I'm half way through and I hope others will listen to it and will also get involved with this issue because it's even worst than I thought. It's going to happen in so MANY more areas than I originally thought!

Here is a link to the website with TONS of information about this issue and other issues.

http://www.agriculturedefensecoalition.org/content/us-navy

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

What I am wondering is WHY do they have to have SO MANY TESTS? Why can't they just test once or twice and call it a day instead of testing for FIVE YEARS ALL OVER THE PLACE? You test and it works, WHY ISN'T THAT ENOUGH? Why go on and kill every living creature in the ocean? Why around sensitive marine sanctuaries? Why around the entire UNITED STATES? Does anyone out there have those answers?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

FOUND ANOTHER PETITION

I've created this petition on behalf of Earth's mammals, creatures that can't speak for themselves. Their cries for help are never heard. So I would like to speak for them! I beleive Navy Sonar Testing should be put to an end. It's wrong and it's killing our oceans beautiful creatures. Can you hear the dolphins cry? Imagine your cries not being heard. Can you imagine living underwater, depending on your hearing for survival? Then hear a sound that deafened you? This also causes internal bleeding. This is killing our sea creatures. It's wrong and it's an act of violence. Join me, and let your voice be heard! Please sign this petition, and get as many people as you can to help try to put an end to the killing of earth's mammals.http://www.petitiononline.com/sonar1/petition.html

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Whales, the largest mammals on our planet, have been victims of hunting and overfishing. But with increased technology, risks to whales continue to increase. The United States Navy’s sonar tests may not seem like a threat, but it actually poses great danger to whale populations.

Sonar may not seem like a particularly deadly device, but it can be when you rely on echolocation as a communication system. Even at three hundred miles away, sonar can reach a level of one hundred and forty decibels—one hundred times louder than the communications used by marine life. These communications make it nearly impossible for whales to find krill, their main source of food, as the echo sound is drowned out by tests.

But up close, sonar can be downright deadly. At some point, the noises become so loud that the whales literally lose control of their diving patterns. Several beached whales have been found in the Caribbean, many of them suffering from trauma including bleeding around the brain and ears, and large bubbles in their organs. Mass incidents of whale beaching have been linked to Navy tests in the area.

A 2008 decision by the Supreme Court banned sonar testing off of the California coast, where whales gather to breed. But recently, sonar tests have occurred off of the Washington coast, where whales are stopping on their great migration. Whales do not reside here permanently—would it be that detrimental to postpone tests until the whales have departed?

The United States Navy can easily protect whale populations by carefully planning their sonar tests. Speak up and let the Navy know that this change is necessary

SIGN THIS PETITION TOO!

http://forcechange.com/18462/stop-sonar-tests-in-whale-inhabited-waters/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.