Is There Enough for Us All?

1 post / 0 new

Thom,

"It is now highly feasible to take care of everybody on Earth at a higher standard of living than any have ever known. It no longer has to be you or me. Selfishness is unnecessary." - Bucky Fuller

Two thirds of humanity dies of poverty related causes before the age of 40. But, the American Friends Service Committee has put together UN statistics showing that all the problems we have on Earth that have an estimated price tag (soil errosion, hunger, disease, education etc) can be solved with just 30% of global military spending. I've been pained to notice that you don't seem to agree. You seem to more or less write off the very poor and the Third World. I've been shocked by this. Please explain. Do you disagree with these assertions? What are your sources?

timbabwe's picture
timbabwe

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.