Thom, we are waiting for your apology to justice Roberts

11 posts / 0 new

I seldom listen because "hate radio" is not my thing, but I did yesterday. I am well aware of your vehiment dislike of our Supreme Court, or at least the members that disagree with you. That said, you either didn't have the courage or integrity to appologize to Justice Roberts for handing you "Robertscare". Or, are you of the belief that this will reappear in 2014 after the new tax is collected and the whole issue will be revisited. Either way, you have egg all over your face if you don't concede the fact he "did the right thing". Step up to the plate dude and give him credit.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

Comments

Why? He's still a turd. He thinks that he's wiser, that he knows more than 100 years of leaders going back to the Tillman Act.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a rift between Roberts and Scalia and his silent buddy Thomas. All lawyers/ judges are supposed to adhere to a code of conduct that doesn't degrade our system of justice, and Scalia has probably violated that with his political remarks, and Thomas with his declarations that oral arguments are meaningless.

chilidog

Because it has never made bottom line sense for the health insurnce business to "repeal Obamacare" unless they could keep any new plan and particularly SINGLE PAYER off the table, I think there was behind the scenes pressure to avoid clearing the table. The poor oppressed insurance business will now stop whining and just take the oodles of money coming its way from universal health insurance being 'mandated.' As to the constitutionality of making Americans fork over lots of money to connected people in power, I thought that was the GOPimp theory of civil government.

I also have no idea what it would be like to be part of a "crowd" that included Scalia and Thomas, much less Sad Sam Alito. What catty remark offended whom is behind the Black Robe Curtain. I only know that the idea of spending any time at all with any of them creeps me out.

drc2

Watch out-Roberts may be playing chess!

DynoDon

Quote Redwing:Either way, you have egg all over your face if you don't concede the fact he "did the right thing". Step up to the plate dude and give him credit.

Implicit in your statement is Scalia, Alito, Thomas, and Kennedy did the "wrong thing" and let their right wing politics get in the way of their judicial judgment. If that's that case... and since Roberts up until now tended to vote with these unfit justices... how does that then absolve Roberts of being a right wing hack? It's a question of motivation. Did he do the "right thing" or was here merely afraid they've already so ruined the court's reputation he had no room for the usual politics and had to admit the obvious?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Redwing,you people are beyond crazy waiting for apology, for somebody who have a special place in hell waiting for him.(not to mention the other crazies)

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Of course, with Citizens United and CU2 for states, I suspect Roberts believes ObamaCare can be undone anyway... so what was the harm in his ruling!

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:

Of course, with Citizens United and CU2 for states, I suspect Roberts believes ObamaCare can be undone anyway... so what was the harm in his ruling!

It's rare that I agree with you but in this case I think you are right. Hanging a "tax" label on this act allows 50 Senators and a Republican VP to undo it.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Medicare for All! Compare the prices of your private health insurance to what you pay for Medicare. At some point the "tax" argument has to recognize the corporate price hike as a "tax." Among the virtues of the Commons is its cost/effective bargain for the consumer/taxpayer it brings to democracy. To rent rather than own our country is never a better way. Being "homeowners of democrcy" is what we get when we buy things together as citizens using taxes. It is time to reclaim democracy as what is being killed by privateers and corporate tyrants.

Our "personal responsibility" as citizens ought to compel us to rescue our means of self-government from those who enclose and entail freedom and divide to conquer. It should make us stand up against empire and its ideology of domination and exceptionality. As citizens, we share the responsibility to protect and serve each other and to care for the common welfare and defense. The idea that our freedom, although philosophically "a given," can survive without the laws and institutions of order inherent in any political democracy is utopian and naive. Were we angels, we would need neither laws nor the establishment of order.

The question is whether we are adults or children in our freedom. Do we need authoritarian parents or some superior authority to supervise and discipline us? Or, can we manage to get along together and be invested in a common enterprise big enough to allow for a ton of diversity? We cannot leave people out, and we cannot have the system be the equivalent of Monopoly or Musical Chairs. Being free to pursue one's own dream does not justify destroying the dreams of others.

Being able to talk about the revenue required for a democracy to function and the way it should be raised to honor the basic design of high participation "freedom" societies would mean moving beyond the stupid FAUXcrap we wallow in. Taxes would no longer be sinful.

drc2

Quote drc2:The question is whether we are adults or children in our freedom. Do we need authoritarian parents or some superior authority to supervise and discipline us?
In this the government has a role in fostering the conditions that make good citizens... education, insuring the media does a good job in informing the public etc. But there are some things that just can't be done in the US given it's antidemocratic and dysfunctional government. For instance what's the point of having elections if, as we saw in 2000, a candidate REJECTED by the People can still be imposed as president on the nation? Our very electoral/political system undermines citizen involvement because it does not give citizens the right to vote their conscience and be guaranteed representation. Our system actually punishes many from voting their conscience lest a minority candidate win office. And our system doesn't just give minorities the ability to thwart the majority, they actually can rule. Is it any wonder that the US is so low in voter participation?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Drc2, the 1% morality of survival of the fittest does give them the right to destroy other people dreams.Do we have the moral right to "defend ourselfs"?? Power respect power! We`re dealing with a criminal ruling class.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.