Thom's comment on libertarians being for privatized prisons is inaccurate

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheFirstLeftist
TheFirstLeftist's picture

I don't know if Thom Hartmann is being disingenuous or not, but I don't know any libertarians who are for "privatized" prisons.  I think this might be a way to try to tag us a shills for corporate America.  Unlike progressives, liberals, Democrats, Republicans and conservatives, Small "l" libertarians support repealing ALL victimless crime laws.  Gun laws, drug laws, prostitution laws, etc.  That would empty most of the prisons and jails around the country.  Violent offenders, i.e real criminals would remain in prison.  Non-violent criminals would be forced to pay restitution to their victims.  To quote Lew Rockwell," As bad as bureaucracy is, contracted-out tax collection, "law enforcement," etc. is even worse, because it puts more efficiency into inherently oppressive activities. Municipal garbage collection, maybe, but not prisons and other criminal enterprises."

Privatization is not the same as having formerly governmental functions run by the private sector.  "Privatization" ends up being sweetheart deals for the politically connected with the taxpayers footing the bill. 

Comments

delete jan in iowa
TheFirstLeftist

TheFirstLeftist wrote:

Privatization is not the same as having formerly governmental functions run by the private sector.  "Privatization" ends up being sweetheart deals for the politically connected with the taxpayers footing the bill. 

Only in your mind.

Why are you posting on this blog?  What purpose do you have in gracing us with your presence?

chilidog
Who are the people that are

Who are the people that are always talking up volunteer fire departments?

TheFirstLeftist
TheFirstLeftist's picture
jan in iowa

jan in iowa wrote:

TheFirstLeftist wrote:

Privatization is not the same as having formerly governmental functions run by the private sector.  "Privatization" ends up being sweetheart deals for the politically connected with the taxpayers footing the bill. 

Only in your mind.

Why are you posting on this blog?  What purpose do you have in gracing us with your presence?

From Wikipedia, An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

I will not respond to you anymore since you have demonstrated that you do not want to discuss or debate ideas.

delete jan in iowa
TheFirstLeftist wrote: jan in

TheFirstLeftist wrote:

jan in iowa wrote:

TheFirstLeftist wrote:

Privatization is not the same as having formerly governmental functions run by the private sector.  "Privatization" ends up being sweetheart deals for the politically connected with the taxpayers footing the bill. 

Only in your mind.

Why are you posting on this blog?  What purpose do you have in gracing us with your presence?

From Wikipedia, An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

I will not respond to you anymore since you have demonstrated that you do not want to discuss or debate ideas.

Seems interesting that you are upset because I've asked you a straightforward question.   Why would you be upset about that?

doh1304
doh1304's picture
I am not being sarcastic when

I am not being sarcastic when I wish you luck getting this through to Thom; he has a real blind spot there - though for a reason. To illustrate - I met a man once who owned a restaurant. He said that he was a libertarian and that he did not believe in health inspectors: "If people don't want roaches they shouldn't eat there." I would not consider that man a libertarian; I believe he is just someone who does not want to be held responsible for his actions and claims a philosophy to justify it. Thom constantly debates similar people.

There is a similar problem with Anarchism. There is a difference between an anarchist and a vandal, but not in American public debate. And I say that this is for the same 2 reasons: first, there are too many people who claim a philosophy to justify misbehavior (How many people who claim to be "conservatives" are actually fascist dictator wannabes?) and second, both Libertarianism and Anarchism respond to the fact of oppressive institutions by claiming that institutions must be allowed only for legitimate purposes and administered legitimately. That distinction has to be made because abuse of authority exists, therefore those who abuse authority defend themselves by demonizing the philosophy.

DdC
DdC's picture
Let em spout their

Let em spout their Liberalterrorist nonsense,
then tag em and bag em. So gullible these teabog ditto's be... Libertarians are paving the way for another fascist take over. Most haven't the sense to realize it. I've heard Hairy Browne rivers complain about the clean air act being unfair to polluters. Bob Barbarian stopping votes on citizens in DC. How is that anywhere close to being American? Come to think of it, stealing or preventing votes is their entire game plan. How do you argue with logic like that? They not only promote private prisons, they promote the NRA lobby's mandatory minimums to guarantee profits. Sickening... Most in cages for non victim crimes. Profits on misery is all they stand for. No taxes unless its for prisons, wars and diseases to treat.

POLICING FOR PROFIT
http://endingcannabisprohibition.yuku.com/topic/1743

Koch Roaches A.L.E.C. Drug Detention Centers
http://endingcannabisprohibition.yuku.com/topic/1705
Demonstrations, Protests and Videos about ALEC, KOCH
Immigrant detention and private prisons...

Today many have had their eyes opened regarding the huge profits made off of what is commonly called the "Prison Industrial Complex."  Suddenly awareness has turned from disbelief to anger as taxpayers realize the screwing private prison companies, their lobbyists and elected Legislators have been giving them for more than three decades now.

Slave Labor Means Big Bucks For U.S. Corporations
As if exploiting the labor of prison inmates was not bad enough, it is legal in the United States to use slave labor. The 13th Amendment of the Constitution states that "neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted shall exist within the United States."

Slavery: Another Fine Product Still Made in the USA!
Contrary to what we may learn in school, the American Civil War did not see the complete abolition of slavery in 1865. The 13th Amendment to their constitution reads "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude except as punishment for a crime..."

Kochroach & Aleech
http://endingcannabisprohibition.yuku.com/sreply/362
One of the most important resources ALEC provides to its members is model legislation. Through the combined effort and unique partnership of public and private sector members, model legislation is drafted, deliberated and approved by one of ALEC's eight Task Forces. These bills provide a valuable framework for developing effective policy ideas aimed at protecting and expanding our free society.

antikakistocrat
antikakistocrat's picture
jan in iowa

jan in iowa wrote:

TheFirstLeftist wrote:

jan in iowa wrote:

TheFirstLeftist wrote:

Privatization is not the same as having formerly governmental functions run by the private sector.  "Privatization" ends up being sweetheart deals for the politically connected with the taxpayers footing the bill. 

Only in your mind.

Why are you posting on this blog?  What purpose do you have in gracing us with your presence?

From Wikipedia, An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

I will not respond to you anymore since you have demonstrated that you do not want to discuss or debate ideas.

Seems interesting that you are upset because I've asked you a straightforward question.   Why would you be upset about that?

Cuz your line of questioning is like a bouncer asking for ID at a nightclub not someone willing to engage in discussions about current events on a forum.  Can you add something to the conversation or play forum-bouncer and enagage in interrogation posts ?   I swear your posts sound like they are being posted by a teenager using you online identity.