What's going on in Malibu California? ? ?

5 posts / 0 new

Today I attended the California Coastal Commission meeting to speak on behalf of protecting the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve and denying the permit to build 111 homes in the wetlands. During the beginning of the meeting people could speak on items that were NOT on the agenda. I walked in when a woman was nearly in tears begging the commission to stop the destruction of a lagoon or wetland? She said the bulldozers were there right now and the fish were gasping for air. I wanted to speak to her after that to find out what was going on but I was no where near her and I believe she left after she spoke. You might be able to see the video of the entire meeting on the coastal commissions website by now.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN MALIBU CALIFORNIA? ? ?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

In the 1970s, the Malibu Lagoon was topped with a baseball diamond, and was filled with sediment. A first effort to return the lagoon to wetlands happened in 1983.

“That ’83 project was an attempt to bring better wetland functions to the area, and it did," said UCLA professor of environmental health sciences Richard Ambrose. "It definitely was a big improvement over just a dirt lot. But there were problems."

Since the start of the month, supporters and opponents of a state-sponsored Malibu Lagoon restoration project are lining Pacific Coast Highway as the project kicks into high speed. But for the last 20 years, scientists have considered the lagoon an impaired waterway.

For decades, Ambrose has been studying Malibu Lagoon’s functions. He’s not alone: bird researchers and conservationists have documented more than 295 species of native and naturalized birds at the lagoon. Ambrose says he’s seen many of them himself.

His studies looked at what’s below the water’s surface. “There are things that you can’t just go out there and look at and know that it’s a problem.”

Invertebrates, clams, worms, shrimp and other marine life require more oxygen, a better chemical balance in water, to thrive. That’s one reason the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission has obtained permits to drain the water and reshape the surface.

Opponents to the project say that they’d happily come out to the lagoon with shovels to do work by hand. But Ambrose says the depth of the problem demands a bulldozer.

“They talk about trying to weed, or do other things that don’t involve moving earth. But the design that’s leading to the problem right now is really the design of these tidal creeks,” Ambrose said. “And you can’t just do something superficial to change that. You have to go in and restructure the topography.”

The Wetlands Defense Fund and others have spent a lot of time challenging the project and in recent months winning support from politicians. They say the lagoon isn’t so sick it needs this cure, and they say the short-term impacts to wildlife are too great to justify the project.

Ambrose says the science of wetlands management has come a long way since the days when a baseball diamond sat at the lagoon. “We have really high confidence, good scientific knowledge about what’s going to happen in terms of the recovery of the species after the Malibu lagoon project,” he said. “For me I’m willing to see some temporary impacts knowing that they’re going to recover and when they recover the whole system will function better.”

Marcia Hanscom of the Wetlands Defense Fund says she’s looking into legal options to halt restoration work at the lagoon. For his part, Ambrose says he understands why the stakes are high for everyone who cares about the lagoon. While the U.S. has lost about half of its wetlands, about 91 percent of California’s historic wetlands are gone.

Just Google News for Malibu Lagoon Restoration

stwo's picture
stwo

THANK YOU for finding that. I've got to tell you this woman made my tears roll! The bulldozers were there apparently and she was pleading to the commissioners to stop it. That's really sad. Thanks again.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The woman you mention appears to be strongly against restoration of the lagoon-

stwo's picture
stwo

I don't believe that she is against restoration. She is against how it is being done with bulldozers since there were volunteers that were willing to do everything by hand as not to kill every living thing around.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.