NOTE: We are migrating to new servers tonight. During this time login has been disabled. Once this message disappears, then the migration will be complete

Why Mitt Romney will be the first American presidential candidate in modern history to refuse to debate.

5 posts / 0 new

" Already, Romney is basically ignoring the media, and refusing to answer literally any question that he finds the least bit contentious. Further, he has absolutely, comically refused to take a position on any issue for fear of pissing off the Tea Party base. Finally, his responses to answers are always short, calculated and completely devoid of substance.

Say what you want about Obama's Marxism, fascism, usurpery, anointedness, etc., the guy is a master debater. Romney, on the other hand, talks about inanimate objects he likes until he runs out of things, and then starts singing America the Beautiful. He'll get crushed and he knows it. "

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/v8gd8/romney_will_be_the_first_american_presidential/

" In a few weeks, the Romney campaign, Fox News and other conservative websites and commentators will start using coordinated messaging to drive home that "debates are distractions from the real issues", that "Romney should not debate unless it is in neutral territory" and that "the debate is a liberal media trap." After this has gotten some resonance on the weekend talk shows, it will become common knowledge that the presidential debates are a part of a leftist elitist trap to vilify Romney and are merely a distraction from the serious issues Americans face.

The Obama camp will reiterate that he's willing to debate anytime, anywhere.

The Romney camp will come back with an implausibly retarded list of demands for the debates, e.g.,:

1. Debates must be on Fox to ensure fair-and-balanced-ness,

2. Moderators must be pre-approved.

3. Questions must be pre-approved.

4. Debate format must be pre-approved

5. Audience must be picked from a pro-Romney region.

6. No questions about Bain.

7. No questions about Mormonism.

The Obama camp will naturally scoff at these demands. The Romney camp will accuse Obama of flip-flopping and refusing to debate on fair terms. Fox News will claim that Obama is afraid to debate Romney. The Obama camp will have a choice: acquiesce to patently unfair debate terms, or refuse to debate on those terms and be hounded by the conservative media for not having the balls to debate.

Obama will ultimately grudgingly agree to the terms out of political necessity. But it won't matter. The media will have already concluded that the debate is a distraction from the economy, that the integrity of the debates has been irrevocably marred by toxic partisan rancor, and that the implicit bias inherent in the process will prevent any kind of meaningful discourse from happening. A feedback loop of endless media cynicism will convince Americans that the debates are worthless.

The Romney camp will then boldly declare that America's problems are too great to engage in meaningless partisan theatrics, and so instead of taking part in some useless debates, he will host "America's Back On Track!" a free-wheeling 2-hour Fox Network variety show in which he will trade jokes with Larry the Cable Guy, sing with Ted Nugent, do some comedy skits with Jon Voight and other right wing "celebrities" and then, for a grand finale, Romney will go toe-to-toe against a hapless Obama look-alike in a debate moderated by George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. "

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/v8gd8/romney_will_be_the_first_american_presidential/

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave

Comments

I totally agree with what you are saying and I fear the American people are dumb enough to let Romney get away with it. I am a 99% person and I fear for my life if I attend an event and I fear for freedom. The destruction of our free press is going to be the downfall of our country.

goclown1

You can count on the dumbness of Americans only slightly less than you can count on the fascist supported media to exploit it to their advantage.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

I'm smiling, because this scenario is remarkably similar to my advice to the President - "My opponent does not want to debate me unless it's on his terms. Fine; I have a country to work for." I would then hand pick Congressional districts and give speeches for the congressional candidate, highlighting the evils of the fascist opponent, though it would just happen to fit whatever "Mitt Who?" said the previous day.

doh1304's picture
doh1304

One addition is with the contempt charge filed against AG Holder, the states will seek to ignore the DOJ threats of voter suppression and continue to purge all hispanics, blacks, gays, and women. Single white men over 30 with guns will be the voter registry.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.