$500 billion in Medicare cuts???

3 posts / 0 new

The right keeps pounding $500 billion in Medicare cuts. I know it has to do with accounting and it isn't actually getting cut. Can someone please explain to me the truth on this and how to explain it the those on the right? And for the love of God, why aren't people calling out all the talking heads when Jindal or Romney or some other knucklehead complain about the $500 billion in cuts!!!

NemrehBob

Comments

Those cuts have nothing to do with current spending on Medicare. It's a reduction over the next 10 years of wasteful spending. Everyone except the right wing seems to know this.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201105260029

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

It's common knowledge that there are a large number of doctors who pad their bills to Medicare. We can assume that Medicare Advantage, by increasing the amount of money available to misappropriate, contributes to that. Therefore, reducing the amount of money available to medicare advantage policies will reduce the amount of Medicare fraud.

Interesting though, that since the ACA will also increase the amount of available money to non-Medicare patients, it is also assumable that it will shift that fraud from Medicare to private insurance patients. (I also contend that by linking insurance company profits to doctors' bills, that it will tempt insurance companies to become complicit in that fraud.) In my eyes the inconsistency is glaring.

doh1304's picture
doh1304

Currently Chatting