Assault rifle bans make no sense in America.

1 post / 0 new

I'm gonna put aside my support for gun rights for one minute, and simply discuss the silliness of the idea of an assault rifle ban which is being discussed now because of the new gun-massacre in Colorado. Most people who are murdered in America with guns are killed with handguns. I'll even take it a step further, and say if some lunatic wants to see how many people he can kill at close range, an AR 15 is not the ideal weapon for the maniac. Two or more handguns of a higher caliber would be more effective. The maniac at Virginia Tek understood what the deadliest combination was.

* A 45 Glock at close range is no less destructive than an AR 15.

* It's more difficult to disarm someone with a handgun.

* A person with a handgun can carry more ammunition, and some of the fancy ones can be re-loaded faster than an assault rifle.

* Two handguns can be fired at once. Semi-auto is more deadly than full-auto because full-auto wastes ammo.

* A handgun can be aimed quicker because it is lighter. Though I'll admit assault rifles are getting really light these days.

* It's easy to carry multiple handguns.

My point is, what makes an AR15 powerful is it's ability to shoot someone who is 500 meters away. It also can go through most types of body armor. If the slugs who commit these atrocities were attacking police instead of just crowds of people, I could understand why people would demand that we get rid of assault rifles. As it is now though, assault rifles are not the problem. Handguns have always been the primary weapon of murder in America. If we start having a bigger problem with psycho snipers, then I might respect the argument of an assault rifle ban.

Also, if someone were to make an argument about Mexico, I would take the concern about assault weapons much more seriously. In Mexico, the weapons causing the problems are primarily assault weapons. They allow the thugs to engage the police quite effectively at times. How does one take the problems in Mexico? Does it demonstrate the failure of Mexican gun control, or does it demonstrate further need for US gun control?

One thing I do agree with the left about, is having everyone armed isn't going to prevent these massacres. Most people who get a carry permit, and walk around armed get really tired of carrying the gun after awhile. The anxiety of wondering if someone is going to notice that you have a gun starts to get old, and you end up leaving the gun at home. I think there was one woman who claims she had the opportunity to stop one of these gun rampages, but she had left her gun in her car. This was years ago. If our culture changes, and it becomes acceptable for everyone to walk around strapped like Han Solo, then that would be something else. Most people though don't want to make others nervous.

AjaxMinoan's picture
AjaxMinoan

Currently Chatting

The Real Carbon “Monster” Revealed

Another day, another stupid assault on the truth by the fossil fuel industry and its paid lackeys. In a recent op-ed for the New York Post, Tom Harris, the executive director of the so-called International Climate Science Coalition -- an organization that’s funded, in part, by the fossil fuel industry -- blasted Leonardo DiCaprio for his work on “Carbon,” a new documentary on climate change that I helped write and present.