CA, TX and NY Budget Differences

2 posts / 0 new

I thought these were some interesting figures.

http://taxdollars.ocregister.com/2012/07/30/california-spends-more-on-pr...

"California spends more on prisons, less on health, than other big states

California spent three percent of its general fund on health programs for its citizenry.

New York, in contrast, spent twice as much of its budget – six percent – on health programs for its citizenry.

California spent four percent of its budget locking people up in prisons.

New York, in contrast, spent half as much — only two percent – locking people up.

Priorities, priorities. The 2012 edition of The Council of State GovernmentsBook of the States is out, and this annual almanac is chock full of wonderfully revealing statistics that we at The Watchdog will have great fun with.

We’ve compared the three largest states — California, New York and Texas – to national averages for the biggest programs. Here’s what we found.

• Education spending:
    • The national average is for a state to spend 36 percent of its budget on education.
    • New York spent the least — 28 percent,
    • California spent less than the average — 33 percent,
    • and Texas spent the most — 46 percent.
  • Public welfare:
    • The national average was 29 percent.
    • Texas spent the least — 28 percent,
    • California spent a little more – 30 percent
    • and New York spent the most – 36 percent.
  • Highways:
    • The national average was 7 percent.
    • New York spent the least – 4 percent,
    • California and Texas both spent 6 percent.
  • Corrections:
    • The national average was 3 percent.
    • New York spent the least — 2 percent.
    • California and Texas spent the most — 4 percent.
  • Health:
    • The national average was 4 percent.
    • California and Texas spent the least — 3 percent.
    • New York spent the most – 6 percent.
  • Hospitals:
    • The national average was 4 percent, which is what New York and Texas spent.
    • California spent more– 5 percent.

There’s a lot more where this came from online. Here’s our chart of the big states’ biggest spending:

And here’s the source material, showing what everyone spends. It’s pretty interesting to see the numbers side-by-side…and to see how tiny some of the more politically important states really are in the big picture."

DynoDon

Comments

What I'd like to know is....are those state budgets only....or do they include city/county expenditures?

I couldn't find that info on the link.

Colorado doesn't spend a whole lot on health care. however, the City/County of Denver does. If you are poor in Denver, you can get medical treatment pretty easy. Live outside the city limits, and you're in no man's land.

Colo. would look fairly good if Denver's expenditures were included in what Colo. spends on health care.

I knew a man who needed several heart by-pass surgeries. Had he lived in Denver, he'd have received them. He didn't. He died. Pity he wasn't over 65, pregnant or under 18. He'd have qualified for Medicaid.

It doesn't surprise me that Calif. rates so low in educational funding. Property taxes based on R.E. values were frozen 30 years ago in that state....thanks to far right ad campaigns. Your $200,000 home is really only worth $20,000. Tax law says so.

Local education in most states is funded through property taxes.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting