California is now the 6th state in the U.S. to formally call for a constitutional amendment!

8 posts / 0 new

I just got this news!

Great news! Thanks to you and other concerned citizens who called your state Senators, our nationwide movement scored a huge victory today, when the California Senate voted to approve resolution # AJR 22.

California is now the 6th state in the U.S. to formally call for a constitutional amendment:

"to overturn Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission and to restore constitutional rights and fair elections to the people".

Congratulations, and thank you for standing up for America.

- Peter

Peter Schurman
Campaign Director
Free Speech For People
Thursday, July 5th, 2012

MrsBJLee's picture
Feb. 17, 2012 8:45 am

Golly.... only 32 to go

Capital.0's picture
May. 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Thank goodness there are 32 democratic leaning states left. Oops-there isn't? Well it was a nice idea.

Jun. 29, 2012 9:24 am

For the amendement that is 6 more than calling for a federal balance budget amendement.

Recovering conservative2's picture
Recovering cons...
Feb. 14, 2011 10:01 am

Yep, organizing movements begins with a few and grows. Each state that acts on the amendment makes a protest statement. It does not take a full victory to make a difference, so go for it. Also, our success is not determined by how many idiots are running these other states now. I think CU is going to make Americans disgusted with politics. That is, disgusted with the television show our politics has become.

Apr. 26, 2012 11:15 am

I thought we were supposed to be amending the 14th amendment to replace "persons" with "natural persons."

Although the reasoning behind CU might still allow this political speech, as corporations are "associations of persons."

If I buy a share of stock of Lockheed does that give me the absolute right to enter any of its plants?

Jul. 31, 2007 3:01 pm

As more people realize what conservative governors are forgoing on refusing to expand Medicaid in their states, more states will vote Democratic. As they do, states will pass this amendment.

Phaedrus76's picture
Sep. 14, 2010 7:21 pm

You're assuming the poor have power in those states. If they do, then why is the South still so miserable for the poor and non-white?

Jun. 29, 2012 9:24 am

Latest Headlines

Obama to veto legislation on refugee screening

President Barack Obama would veto a Republican bill introduced in the wake of the Paris attacks to toughen the screening process for Syrian refugees

New York officials: No credible ISIS threat against city

There is no credible threat to New York City at this time, officials said

China denies torturing political prisoners

A Chinese delegation denied mistreatement of prisoners held in police stations and deaths in custody

Why the Kochs Really Embraced Criminal Justice Reform...

It looks like the Koch brothers have scammed us once again.

When news first came out that Charles and David Koch -- the Koch brothers -- were supporting criminal justice reform efforts in Congress, many of us thought, "Wow, they're actually doing something good for once."

And for good reason, too.