Did Barry Goldwater Ever Smoke Pot?

5 posts / 0 new

Back in the very early 70's my friend Bill was accepted at a college in Tempe Arizona. At some point he met Barry Goldwater and questioned him about legalization of marijuana. Goldwater told him that he'd once tried pot. He'd gone 3 miles off shore to be outside US territorial waters. He'd wanted to understand its effects before judging it. Talk about researching a topic!

Has anyone else heard this story?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Comments

Quote Pierpont:

Back in the very early 70's my friend Bill was accepted at a college in Tempe Arizona. At some point he met Barry Goldwater and questioned him about legalization of marijuana. Goldwater told him that he'd once tried pot. He'd gone 3 miles off shore to be outside US territorial waters. He'd wanted to understand its effects before judging it. Talk about researching a topic!

Has anyone else heard this story?

I vaguely remember hearing about that back in the 70s. Wikipedia says (I never knew this) that Goldwater had endorsed an initiative to legalize medical marijuana. According to their article on Goldwater:

"In 1996, he told Bob Dole, whose own presidential campaign received lukewarm support from conservative Republicans: "We're the new liberals of the Republican party. Can you imagine that?" In that same year, with Senator Dennis DeConcini, Goldwater endorsed an Arizona initiative to legalize medical marijuana against the countervailing opinion of social conservatives."

Interesting.

fleuryb's picture
fleuryb

Barry Goldwater Ganja & Twelve US Presidents

DdC's picture
DdC

Not to change the subject but Mrs. Goldwater was one of the participating founders of Planned Parenthood. Yes she was pro choice. They were socially liberal and fisically conservative.

Jake123's picture
Jake123
Quote DdC:Barry Goldwater Ganja & Twelve US Presidents

Thanks for that link! As Spock would say... fascinating!

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.