The FRACKING/TAR SANDS CONNECTION

11 posts / 0 new

I just found this article about the fracking industry and how it is supporting tar sands production in Canada.

The fracking boom has produced an excess of condensate in the U.S. Condensate is a by-product of oil and gas production. It is a kind of wet gas or gaseous liquid depending on how you look at it. It is abundant in the shale gas and tight oil wells being drilled across America using hydraulic fracturing.

On the downside for refiners, this surplus has reduced refining margins for the light crudes and condensates.

But, by a twist of fate, is has also provided a major boost to Canada’s dirty tar sands industry, as the condensate is perfect for diluting and liquefying the semi-solid bitumen extracted from the tar sands so that it can flow through pipelines.

So as tar sands producers gear up for massive expansions of their high carbon production, more and more of the condensate produced from fracking is being exported to Canada to facilitate the transportation of bitumen to American refineries.

According to the Energy Information Administration (EIA), the independent statistical arm of the U.S. Department of Energy, in the first three months of 2011, the U.S. exported 1 million barrels of a type of light condensates known as “pentanes plus.” These exports rocketed to 10 million barrels in the same period this year.

Last month, one company announced it would be exporting 100,000 barrels per day of condensate for at least ten years from Illinois to the tar sands.

YOU CAN READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE AT THE LINK BELOW.

http://ecowatch.org/2012/fracking-tar-sands/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

IT APPEARS THAT THE OIL COMPANIES WON'T EVEN LET YOU REST IN PEACE ONCE YOU'VE BEEN LAID TO REST! Here is part of an article on EcoWatch.org

The fracking debate has officially taken a strange and morbid turn.

According to the Associated Press, township trustees of Poland, Ohio—a small, eastern Ohio enclave—have received a proposal to lease the mineral rights underneath the 122-year-old Lowellville Cemetery for $140,000 and a 16 percent share of royalties. Similar offers have been reported at other nearby cemeteries.

It seems that, in addition to friends, family and loved ones, there’s a lot more beneath the surface. Rich deposits of natural gas locked into shale formations thousands of feet beneath the ground have invigorated a bizarre and polarizing debate around how to proceed.

Fracking in cemeteries is the latest in an expanding list of places that any sane person would think inconceivable to undermine, such as residential properties, playgrounds, schools and parks. In areas where fracking operations have moved forward, air quality is degraded, noise pollution skyrockets and water quality is dangerously compromised.

YOU CAN READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE BY CLICKING ON THE LINK BELOW

http://ecowatch.org/2012/fracking-morbid-turn/#comment-22643

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Somehow I missed this when it was first posted, but found it today when I was reading earlier message board items while writing a topic about water damage in Pennsylvannia caused by fracking. I have mentioned this tar sands / fracking connection a few times on the board when posting a new topic, or replying to an existing one. I don't have the time to read the article right now, but I've bookmarked it for later.

Thanks for bringing attention to this article.

The following topic is the one I was writing today :

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/08/methane-fracking-contaminates-pennsylvania-water-supplies

miksilvr

Thank you for bringing it up again because I can't believe no one commented on it! The first article that is mentioned blew my mind! Frackers are supporting tar sands in Canada by supplying a by-product they don't need but Canada needs to dilute the tar sands. For them a match in oil heaven, for us a nightmare come true!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Halliburton Watch

Cheney's Legacy of Fracking America to Death

STOP the Fossil Fools Pipedream, Again! Got Hemp?

Halliburton performs first commercial fracturing operation for Stanolind. 1949.

Economist's View: Cheney's Fracking "Halliburton Loophole"
Public fears are growing about contamination of drinking-water supplies from the chemicals used in fracking and from the methane gas itself. Field tests show that those worries are not unfounded. ... Yet states have let companies proceed without adequate regulations. They must begin to provide more effective oversight, and the federal government should step in, too.

Fracking And Exploding US Shale Play To Feed Halliburton's Profits
Halliburton will surge on its North American business, particularly fracking as the U.S. shale play continues to evolve, analysts at RBC Capital Markets argue. The large oilfield services provider won’t derive much profit from its international operations, but it will see Iraqi production stabilizing and unconventional gas plays develop across the globe, setting it up to benefit in the future.

Fracking - Gasland: A film by Josh Fox
What is the Halliburton Loophole?
In 2005, the Bush/ Cheney Energy Bill exempted natural gas drilling from the Safe Drinking Water Act. It exempts companies from disclosing the chemicals used during hydraulic fracturing. Essentially, the provision took the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) off the job. It is now commonly referred to as the Halliburton Loophole.

Halliburton Profit Rises as U.S. Oil Fracking Demand Grows
Halliburton Co. (HAL), the world’s largest provider of hydraulic-fracturing services, weathered producers’ shift from natural-gas basins to oil fields in the U.S. and Canada better than analysts expected in the first quarter.

What the Frack, Halliburton?
EPA to Gas Drillers: Give Us the Fracking Data!
Fracking in Ithaca
Halliburton Knew About Bad Cement Job Before the Spill
Halliburton: Oil Spill Fall Guy?

Fracking Halliburton | Mother Jones
By Kate Sheppard Wed Nov. 10, 2010
In September, the Environmental Protection Agency requested that natural gas drillers hand over information about the substances they are using in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, a method that uses a high-pressure blast of chemical compounds, sand, and water to fracture rock and access natural gas reserves. The EPA asked nicely in its letter to nine companies, but said they were prepared to be less polite: "EPA expects the companies to cooperate," the letter said. If they don't, "EPA is prepared to use its authorities to require the information needed to carry out its study."

Good Fascists and Bad Fascists
Busht Cheneynagans D.E.A.th & Oil!
Bushit or Sadamn? Flip a Coin
The Enron, Bush, Baker, Rockefeller connection
Bushit Rumcheney Cocktail:Fascist Nationalism and MKULTRA

Cheney Halliburton Supplied Iraq
Circumvented US Law and Policy
Facing Grand Jury Intimidation:
Fear, Silence and Solidarity

Halliburton Making Money From War

Bush energy plan faulted for ignoring human rights
Date: 31-May-01 USA
The letter, from Human Rights Watch Executive Director Kenneth Roth to Vice President Dick Cheney, expresses serious concern that the plan "proposes no strategy to keep necessary oil investment from perpetuating dictatorships or fueling conflicts" as he said it has in Angola, Nigeria, Sudan and Iraq.

Colombia report. May 4 2001
Texaco, BP hired cocaine-funded paramilitary
death squads for security by Bush-Cheney Big Oil.
"Paramilitary death squads are tearing apart Columbian families and culture as they defend U.S. oil interests. ... Texaco and BP have hired local paramilitary groups for 'security,'... paramilitary gets seventy percent of its money from cocaine."

Corporations That Supplied Iraq's Weapons Program

DdC's picture
DdC

Wow...there you go again...laying out all the facts! Good job! Hope others will read it and get educated. Recently I was driving on the 405 freeway southbound in the area of Torrance, CA when I spotted 2 Halliburtan chemical trucks. They each had 3 separate tanks on them. I know they were for fracking operations! They stuck out like a sore thumb on the freeway.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

LYING, DECEPTIONS, HALF-TRUTHS OR DISTORTIONS...

Maybe we should just call Lyan Paul Ryan, Halliburton...

DdC's picture
DdC

I just read the following and wondered if anyone has followed up on it?

DOI is developing new standards to ensure public disclosure of chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing operations on public lands, and the EPA is taking steps to address concerns about potential impacts to water and air resources.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Is New York Fracked?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Here is an article that might be of interest. Myth verses Fact regarding the Keystone XL Pipeline

http://blog.nwf.org/2012/09/the-keystone-pipeline-myth-machine-2012-election-edition/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Saving this information since the board got hijacked.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.