Guns & Psyco's-They just don't mix

9 posts / 0 new

Here's the real issue folks. It's not about guns. It's about crazies! Really! What has been the common denominator between all of these mass gun shootings that occur every few months? I'll tell you what it is. It is that all of the people that commit these acts are nuts! They are not normal sane people. Normal sane people would not do these things. And, the vast majority of gun owners are normal sane people. So, the problem is how to get the guns out of the hands of the crazies, without denying normal sane people the right to keep and bear arms according to the second amendment. This is the challenge presented before us.

If we respond with the simple knee-jerk reaction, that the solution is simply to ban guns, then we will have cut off our noses to spite our face as the saying goes. Because, there is a real value to the second amendment, of which it's value is above even those people massecured in the Colorado event. I hate to say it, but I believe it's true. My heart goes out to those families that have suffered this loss. But, I would venture to say, that even if one of my own family members was one of the victims, I would not change my position on this. And, this is where I think people differ on this matter.

It really comes down to whether one believes weather there is a value to the concept, the ideal, the philopspy of what the second amendment represents; both today and in the 18th century. To me, I believe it is timeless. Even for those progressives that believe that the constitution is a living, breathing document that should be changed to represent contemporary values, I still believe that the second amendment passes that muster, and is timeless.

As an NRA member, and an acive shooter, I would like to see the pro-gun establishment step up and try to assist in a solution to this recurring problem, rather than just the argument to "keep your hands off my gun" type approach. I think we (the gun activist group) should work to address the problem of the "crazies". I think everyone would agree that this section of our population should not have access to guns, and we need to start talking about this.

TChamp3121's picture
TChamp3121

Comments

Yeah, uh, are you aware how much it would cost to expand mental health services, and that might mean a tax hike, and or cuts to the defense budget?

We loony lefties have proposed expanding mental health services. It is always a no-go. Because a) it costs money and b) criminally insane people are the very people who fund Republican politicians.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

I know it would cost more to expand health services for mentally ill people. So what! It needs to be done. Reagan starting cutting on this stuff.

"b) criminally insane people are the very people who fund Republican politicians."

-Well now on this I kind of disagree as it relates to this issue. Yeah, the insane homeless are fundig the GOP? I Presume you are talking about the high brow sociopaths that Thom talks about. This may be true, but they are not the ones committing these acts. So, don't confuse the issue by interjecting unrelated issues to promelgate a political agenda. Let's just stick to the facts for now.

Crazy guy, with guns, bombs and smoke bombs attacks Colorado cinema.

TChamp3121's picture
TChamp3121

Ha! Now were finding out that this "Joker" (pun intended), was under psychiatric care?!!! Really?!!! Why am I not surprised! And, he detailed this attack out in a notebook to his shrink?! Where the hell was his shrink in all of this?!! It seems to me that he/she dropped the ball here.

This is what I'm taling about. 1.) His mother wasn't surprised about what he did. So, she knew he was unstable. 2.) His shrink new he had the same potential. And, yet, he was still able to do what he did. Clearly, this is a failure in our phsychiatric system, not there really is one. And, that's my point. We need to re-develop our psychiatric infrastructure.

TChamp3121's picture
TChamp3121

Then undo the current laws that restrict what u can buy and regulate who can buy if I pass background and physcho logical evaluation i should be able to buy what ever I want

Commonsense461

In many states, it is difficult to hold someone in a mental hospital against their will for any prolonged length of time. You may have to go to court to keep someone institutionalized, and that takes time and costs money. Judges may be reluctant to hold someone even if a doctor says that they are a threat, because the criminal justice system is based on punishing people who already committed a crime, not preventing a crime from happening based on the word of a psychiatrist. States have closed many if not most of the nation's state mental hospitals. Community-based care is less expensive than is long-term hospitalization. The Americans With Disabilities Act requires that disabled people be allowed to live in the community whenever possible, in the "least restrictive" environment. Enough money has never been available to help every mentally disabled person with housing and/or with medical and support personnel.

In Illinois, the Medicaid waver program has been drastically cut. This program pays for seriously ill and disabled children to remain at home, with their families, by paying for their medical expenses, which could cost something like $19,000 per month. If they lived in a long-term care facility, the cost, from a report I saw, would be something like $55,000 a month. This is the expensive nature of our health care system.

Robindell's picture
Robindell

Crazies and weapons just don't mix. There have been a number of knife rampages in China that are comparable to our gun rampages. We used to have a lot of serial killers in this country. If the media would stop putting these bastards on TV and making their crimes a consumable media product, there wouldn't be as many copy-cats.

One more reason to support a swift death penalty for the obviously guilty. Stop the media from compounding their crimes.

AjaxMinoan's picture
AjaxMinoan
Quote Robindell:

In many states, it is difficult to hold someone in a mental hospital against their will for any prolonged length of time.

Do you support kidnapping under the guise of medical treatment?

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

Politics and crazies just don't mix either. So how come every time some whacko from one of the political parties raises his ugly head we blame the politics of that party for what went wrong? Liberals this, conservatives that. Or is political power in the wrong hands just as deadly as a gun in the wrong hands.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Currently Chatting

Who Should an Economy Serve?

The top one percent own half of all the world's assets. In stark contrast, the bottom fifty percent of the world owns less than one percent. According to the 2014 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, global inequality has surged since the 2008 financial collapse. The report explains that while global wealth has more than doubled since the year 2000, the vast majority of overall growth has gone to those who were already wealthy.