House Republicans voted for the 33rd time on Wednesday to repeal Obamacare

13 posts / 0 new

House Republicans are patting themselves on the back after voting for the 33rd time on Wednesday to repeal or weaken Obamacare, despite the vote being completely meaningless since Democrats are still in control of the Senate and the White House. Now, we the taxpayers should be demanding some of our money back. That’s because House Republicans have now spent 80 hours of time on the House floor since 2010 taking meaningless votes against Obamacare.

That’s roughly two weeks. And considering it takes $24 million a week for the House to operate – then Republicans have wasted nearly $50 million on their Obamacare political stunts. Since Republicans are pushing for more austerity and trying to find government waste at every corner – then maybe they should look in the mirror – because our nation simply can’t afford their shenanigans.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Thom, while I enjoyed your rant tonight about the way that House Republicans have wasted taxpayer time and money engaging in political theater I feel like I should point out that at least repealing Obamacare and holding hearings on Fast and Furious are relevant to reality. What really galled me was when they wasted our time debating and voting on an amendment to ban federal money from going to ACORN - long after ACORN had ceased to exist.

From the Congressional Record, June 1, 2011:

Offered By: Mr. King of Iowa

AMENDMENT NO.36: At the end of the bill (before the short title), insert the following:

Sec. __. None of the funds made available by this Act shall be made available to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now... http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r112:1:./temp/~r112pSgUAd:e0:

From Wikipedia regarding ACORN: " It filed for Chapter 7 liquidation on November 2, 2010" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Community_Organizations_for_Reform_Now

mdhess's picture
mdhess
Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:

House Republicans are patting themselves on the back after voting for the 33rd time on Wednesday to repeal or weaken Obamacare

The best response to this is to quote Miles Davis:

So What?

Like we did with the "Holder 'Scandal'"

anonymous green

$50 million is about 1/10th of the solyndra loan (which they treated like a huge boondoggle) - but this was for zero positive purpose. political theater.

and considering this congress hardly works, each hour is more valuable. I wonder if the $50 million number takes that into account.

And since I mentioned Solyndra - check this out.

"According to Bloomberg News, even with the losses from Solyndra, the default rate for the DOE’s loans to solar, wind and bio-energy projects is less than 3.6 percent, less than a third of what the White House anticipated."

Romney was on Fox bragging about Bain's mere 5% bankruptcy rate - but I just found out that contradicts the wall street journal.

The 5 percent bankruptcy figure may be a surprise to people familiar with the Wall Street Journal’s comprehensive examination of Bain Capital’s investments, which found that “about 22 percent of the companies either filed for bankruptcy or liquidated by the end of the eighth year after Bain invested.”

Even Romney's fictional bankruptcy rate wasn't as good as the DoE's default rate (3.6%).

Babyspittle.com's picture
Babyspittle.com

Thom should promote a contest: users guess how many more votes until election day. Winner gets Thom Hartmann-certified voting identification card.

chilidog

You know what they also passed 30 of? Jobs bills that the docrats in the senate have tabled and won't even vote on.

Commonsense461

What do the deficit numbers look like for the last 12 months?

chilidog
Quote chilidog:

What do the deficit numbers look like for the last 12 months?

They look exactly like what they've been manipulated to look like.

When an ignorant American Taliban puts up a wall, nothing passes, since God and the flag are in the way.

anonymous green
Quote mdhess:

Thom, while I enjoyed your rant tonight about the way that House Republicans have wasted taxpayer time and money engaging in political theater I feel like I should point out that at least repealing Obamacare and holding hearings on Fast and Furious are relevant to reality. What really galled me was when they wasted our time debating and voting on an amendment to ban federal money from going to ACORN - long after ACORN had ceased to exist.

From the Congressional Record, June 1, 2011:

Offered By: Mr. King of Iowa

AMENDMENT NO.36: At the end of the bill (before the short title), insert the following:

Sec. __. None of the funds made available by this Act shall be made available to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now... http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r112:1:./temp/~r112pSgUAd:e0:

From Wikipedia regarding ACORN: " It filed for Chapter 7 liquidation on November 2, 2010" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Community_Organizations_for_Reform_Now

Excellent point mdhess. These votes to repeal ObamaCare are at least relevant to current events. Unfortunately for them, the current events that they are influencing are the upcoming congressional elections. Even the dimmest of the Teabaggers has to understand that Obama would not sign legislation to repeal it, wouldn't they?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

No. Teabaggers don't have to see or recognize anything they don't want to. It is their "gift." It is why they like the GOPimp Acting Out enough to pay for the tickets for the show. Go figure.

drc2
Quote Commonsense461:

You know what they also passed 30 of? Jobs bills that the docrats in the senate have tabled and won't even vote on.

Those are tax cuts for corporations.
The least efficient stimulus available.

Babyspittle.com's picture
Babyspittle.com

Another cs post. The GOPimps do work hard to gum things up and confuse. Their "jobs" bills are right up there with their "clean air and water" policies. The revenue losses would have been considerable and the jobs not so.

Back to the chicken coop, cs.

drc2
Quote drc2:[...]The revenue losses would have been considerable and the jobs not so.[...]

And you know this how, CBO score, crystal ball, ouija board? These bills haven't been discussed, been to committee or been offered up for amendment due to the political machinations of Harry Reid.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.