How does government get its money?

26 posts / 0 new

When a businessman has no access to government favoritism, he must get your money voluntarily. He must offer you a product or service that you are willing to trade your money for. Contrast to the government. The government does not gets its money voluntarily. The only money you may say the government gets voluntarily are user fee type taxes. Gas taxes are a good example. In theory, if I own a car, I pay gas taxes when I buy gas. These taxes go to pay for the roads. There are other similar taxes. But most taxes are taken and given to other people, i.e. a wealth transfer.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

Comments

And if government can't get enough of your money through taxes, unlike the businessman, they just get the private, illegal, criminal federal reserve to create it out of thin air. Which, of course makes the businessman's money worth less, as with wages. And think of this, taxes like gasoline, sales, excise, etc are harder on the middleclass and poor than wealthy folks.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

They steal it from everyone who works just because they can.

workingman's picture
workingman
Quote workingman:They steal it from everyone who works just because they can.

Great day for that statement. I'll be sure to tell all of the military members of my family and friends that you think that they steal their pay for keeping you free. I'll also be sure to tell all of the children whose lives were saved this year because of your tax dollars that you would rather they be dead so as not to have your money stolen. Some real wonderful human beings that visit this forum.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote Bush_Wacker:

Great day for that statement. I'll be sure to tell all of the military members of my family and friends that you think that they steal their pay for keeping you free. I'll also be sure to tell all of the children whose lives were saved this year because of your tax dollars that you would tarjetas they be dead so as not to have your money stolen. Some real wonderful human beings that visit this forum.

There are some things that everyone shoulf pay for, they are the 18 jobs in the constitution. Taxes should be paid in to cover those costs but I should be allowed to pay it in on my terms. The way the system works noe the government gets psid before I even see my Check.

On a side not when i was in the military i paid federal income tax. So i paid my own pay can you get thr bottom 50 percent to at least pay some thing before you complain about how much i pay in..

workingman's picture
workingman

The American Dream Film-Full Length

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGk5ioEXlIM

The Money Masters.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-515319560256183936&q=The+money+changers&ei=Zd4QSMjvB47YqAKQtJmzBA

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat

This is how government and the money system works.

antikakistocrat's picture
antikakistocrat
Quote workingman:
Quote Bush_Wacker:

Great day for that statement. I'll be sure to tell all of the military members of my family and friends that you think that they steal their pay for keeping you free. I'll also be sure to tell all of the children whose lives were saved this year because of your tax dollars that you would tarjetas they be dead so as not to have your money stolen. Some real wonderful human beings that visit this forum.

There are some things that everyone shoulf pay for, they are the 18 jobs in the constitution. Taxes should be paid in to cover those costs but I should be allowed to pay it in on my terms. The way the system works noe the government gets psid before I even see my Check. On a side not when i was in the military i paid federal income tax. So i paid my own pay can you get thr bottom 50 percent to at least pay some thing before you complain about how much i pay in..

I'm not complaining about what you pay in, you are!

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Same old same old. The poor pay taxes and a whole lot of fees and other charges you never have to deal with when you have money. They would contribute a whole lot more if they had more money in the first place, so do something about that before you get all worked up about how "they" ought to have to give up food, medicine or some other luxury so you won't feel put upon. Those are choices the poor make all the time. I can understand why drugs become attractive if you keep treading the mill without real hope.

Finally, we have heard the "ennumerated rights" and jobs of the government, and while you attack the Constitutionally established Postal Service, please don't hope to be taken seriously in your appreciation of democracy and what the Founders Intended us to do with their legacy. I hope you can get over your resentments and learn to be grateful and generous. Opening the mind can be refreshing. Here comes the sun.

drc2
Quote Bush_Wacker:
Quote workingman:
Quote Bush_Wacker:

There are some things that everyone shoulf pay for, they are the 18 jobs in the constitution. Taxes should be paid in to cover those costs but I should be allowed to pay it in on my terms. The way the system works noe the government gets psid before I even see my Check. On a side not when i was in the military i paid federal income tax. So i paid my own pay can you get thr bottom 50 percent to at least pay some thing before you complain about how much i pay in..

I'm not complaining about what you pay in, you are!

Not complaining about what i pay in, thought thr mantra on thr left is the Rich do not pay their fair share.. I am not Rich but i am paying in my share And some for some one else.

workingman's picture
workingman
Quote drc2:

Same old same old. The poor pay taxes and a whole lot of fees and other charges you never have to deal with when you have money. They would contribute a whole lot more if they had more money in the first place, so do something about that before you get all worked up about how "they" ought to have to give up food, medicine or some other luxury so you won't feel put upon. Those are choices the poor make all the time. I can understand why drugs become attractive if you keep treading the mill without real hope.

Finally, we have heard the "ennumerated rights" and jobs of the government, and while you attack the Constitutionally established Postal Service, please don't hope to be taken seriously in your appreciation of democracy and what the Founders Intended us to do with their legacy. I hope you can get over your resentments and learn to be grateful and generous. Opening the mind can be refreshing. Here comes the sun.

I have never said we should shut down the postal Service it is s constitutional requirrment. I have said that the voting public should br allowed to see and vote on the contract with the postal unions. This would ensure that you do not have politions beholden to the unions for re election agreeing to what ever is asked for.

workingman's picture
workingman

The postal service is a prime example of the inefficiencies of government. Look at UPS and FedEx. The poor and needy could be better cared for if government did not give so much to its corporate colluders in the form of bailouts and subsidies.

The rich should pay more but government must also become a better steward of the publics money and stop wasting and frauding so much of it. I heard this somewhere recently thart if the government confiscated 100% of incomes over $200,000, it would last 140 days at our current rate of spending. If one keeps writing checks and never makes a deposit, he will soon have big problems.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote workingman:

I have never said we should shut down the postal Service it is s constitutional requirrment. I have said that the voting public should br allowed to see and vote on the contract with the postal unions. This would ensure that you do not have politions beholden to the unions for re election agreeing to what ever is asked for.

And just how in the world would that work? What a ridiculous notion.

delete jan in iowa
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:

You time the contract renewal with an election before the election you put it in the election mailer with the contract highlights. These highlights should also have a web page with the contract on it so everyone can see it.

This should be done with all public sector unions.

workingman's picture
workingman
Quote workingman:
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:

You time the contract renewal with an election before the election you put it in the election mailer with the contract highlights. These highlights should also have a web page with the contract on it so everyone can see it. This should be done with all public sector unions.

With that logic all the shareholders in a corporation should vote on all union contracts and executive pay?

delete jan in iowa
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:

You time the contract renewal with an election before the election you put it in the election mailer with the contract highlights. These highlights should also have a web page with the contract on it so everyone can see it. This should be done with all public sector unions.

With that logic all the shareholders in a corporation should vote on all union contracts and executive pay?

Nope. The share holder purchase the stock because they want to. When the company does something they do not like they can sell the stock. With a public sector union the government is confuscating my money to pay the union. I have no say at all And can not get out of the confiscation.

workingman's picture
workingman

Government sucks, Beavis.

chilidog
Quote workingman:

Nope. The share holder purchase the stock because they want to. When the company does something they do not like they can sell the stock. With a public sector union the government is confuscating my money to pay the union. I have no say at all And can not get out of the confiscation.

So you whole thing is really about "government." Why do you live in the US? Why not move to Costa Rica, they have a nice climate and lots of old Americans living here. Sounds like the place for you.

delete jan in iowa
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:

So you whole thing is really about "government." Why do you live in the US? Why not move to Costa Rica, they have a nice climate and lots of old Americans living here. Sounds like the place for you.

Why dont you move to cuba instead of trying to take my freedom away?

workingman's picture
workingman
Quote workingman:
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:

How have I EVER tried to take your freedom away?

delete jan in iowa
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:

How have I EVER tried to take your freedom away?

Have you ever voted for a progressive, liberal or a democrat? If so yes you have, every federal government program that takes something from one person to give it to another takes freedom from the have to give it to the receipent. This included welfare, health care reform, social security, medicare, medicaid, And the list goes on.

workingman's picture
workingman
Quote workingman:

Have you ever voted for a progressive, liberal or a democrat? If so yes you have, every federal government program that takes something from one person to give it to another takes freedom from the have to give it to the receipent. This included welfare, health care reform, social security, medicare, medicaid, And the list goes on.

That is your ideological perspective and opinion.

delete jan in iowa

Jan, "So you whole thing is really about "government." Why do you live in the US? Why not move to Costa Rica, they have a nice climate and lots of old Americans living here. Sounds like the place for you."

If I could figure out a way to afford to, I would move there in a heartbeat!!!

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote jan in iowa:
Quote workingman:

That is your ideological perspective and opinion.

How does it enhance my freedom to have the government take.potions of my labor in order to give it away?

The government can not give anything to anyone it has not first taken from some one else.

workingman's picture
workingman
Quote workingman:

every federal government program that takes something from one person to give it to another takes freedom from the have to give it to the receipent. This included welfare, health care reform, social security, medicare, medicaid, And the list goes on.

You'll get social security. I don't know if you'll get medicare, don't you get VA? If you have a spouse maybe she'll get Medicare.

Welfare is there for you if you ever need it. Hopefully you never need it.

These programs are not what's bankrupting this country.

chilidog

The equation of freedom and money is false. Money can't buy you "freedom" unless it exists "for all" in society and by extension, the world. Money can buy you the right to participate in the oppression of others rather than be the oppressed directly. But it is absurd to call the "liberty" taken by the enslavers of others "freedom" in that hallowed sense of virtue. It is the freedom of the sheep and the wolves to have lunch together. The virtue of being a wolf rather than a sheep is not much of a vision for society.

If you have been listening as well as posting, you will have heard Thom's regular reference to the idea that a "neccesitous man" is not a "free man." In a society that lifts up its value of human life and freedom, how does "leveraging" the needs of others meet any moral test? Is there not some obligation to see to the humanity at both ends of the deal? The way it works now, there is none at either end, but those who suffer show a humanity those who oppress them do not. What you are justifying is sick and evil. It is certainly not "freedom."

drc2

Currently Chatting