New voter ID laws despite no Voter Fraud

51 posts / 0 new

Despite numerous reports suggesting that voter fraud is a non-issue and there’s absolutely no evidence of non-citizens trying to vote, several red states are pushing ahead with new laws to grant voting right to only those people who have photo IDs. And a new Mother Jones report shines a light on what exactly that means.

Of all the adult Americans without a photo ID – 25% are African American, 19% are Latino, 18% are young people between the ages of 18 and 24, 18% are seniors, and 15% are low–income people earning less than $35,000. Those demographics make up the majority of those without a photo-ID, and they just so happen to be the same people who tend to vote for Democrats.

Plain and simple, when Republicans talk about voter ID, it’s code for dumping Democratic voters from the voting rolls.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Not having a photo Id to be able to vote is a lame excuse. Anyone can get a photo Id. You need a photo ID to partake in commerce in this country. So if a person doesn't partake in commerce, then are they really educated enough to vote?. Or is that what liberals are banking on getting the votes of people who are not up to speed on the issues facing the country. Or is this a setup for why Obama will lose the election? Blame the lack of leadership in the whitehouse for his inability to get re-elected. This is just another attempt to deflect away from the terrible job that Obama has done. He has only himself to blame even though he always blames someone else. All we hear is not me , not me.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

Address the root of the problem: do something about the illegal aliens the GOP let in. Then we don't have to worry about showing an ID when we vote.

chilidog

Where is your proof that the gop let in the illegals? And don't talk in platitudes. Which means you don't quote thom, his show is an opinion show. He spouts opinons and represents them as fact based truth.When all he is interested in is stirring the libs so they still listen to his show and keeps his radio program on the air and keeps him in money. He laughs all the way to the bank, or is it the credit union? And the libs follow just like a bunch of sheep, I'm sorry for your lost time listening to his garbage, but I am afraid there is no hope for ewe.

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

If havi g to show I'd disenfranchises you from your constitutional rights don't gun control laws do the same thing to minority gun rights?

Commonsense461

Voter ID will effectively put and end to the very small amout of illegal and fraudulent voting. Most elections are so close it takes only a small amout of fraudulent or illegal votes to effect the outcome of an election. That's what the dems and liberal progressives are afraid of because most of those vote are democratic. Obamy needs them.

Why don't we bitch about the idiots of the SCOTUS's decision on Citizens United which allows foreigners to influence politicians and elections with their money because of their ownership in American corporations.

I have a voter registration card and still have to show my DL when I go to vote. Everyone else should also. It ain't that hard to get an ID.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote whiskeyman:

Where is your proof that the gop let in the illegals?

Seriously?

You don't think I can produce a single piece of evidence that the GOP isn't interested in stopping illegal immigration?

chilidog

Neither are interested in stopping illegal immigration: one for social reasons, the other for economic reasons, and both for politcal reasons.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote Commonsense461:

If havi g to show I'd disenfranchises you from your constitutional rights don't gun control laws do the same thing to minority gun rights?

Why do you keep asking this same question on different threads?

delete jan in iowa

Because no one will answer him. I will answer. No, because in the liberal gun control people don't think anyone should be able to by a gun.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

What absolute crap you total blockhead. If you can find the sources to back up those charges, you would have to have it be "liberals" and not just one or two individuals, and I doubt you could find that number who say what you say they say.

Gun Control only means having a reasonable standard of public and social responsibility. It does nothing about legitimate hunters or sport shooters, and I don't know of anyone on the Left who has spoken out against hunters and sport shooters other than advocates of "animal rights." They are not about gun control, they are about not killing our fellow creatures. I am with them on lust hunting, but not on meat hunters. If you don't want/need the meat, use a camera to show what a great tracker and stalker you are. All the "sport" with none of the killing.

Liberals in general are opposed to the absurd level of guns in urban locales as well as to the culture of gun love and macho attached to lethal devices. We do not find any positive evidence or indication that a pistol packing population will be more peaceful than one where "you leave your guns at home." Don't Take Your Guhs to Town Boy, and Wyatt Earp enforced gun control in Dodge City if I remember how the Old West really worked.

By "gun love" I am not talking about the fascination with the mechanics and art of making a really effective shooting instrument or even the enjoyment of using that fine tool to attain great accuracy in target shooting. Nope, it is the "love" that alters the sense of self of the gun owner and makes him feel tougher or more fulfilled because he can carry one around and impress others. Or not, maybe it is only to impress himself and make him feel "like a man." Either way, it is the totemic power of the gun that is the problem.

But, cons who are obsessed with Obama Gonna Take Away Yo Guns need to go to serious therapy and avoid the reinforcement of your militia drinking buddies. If you can get out of the bunker mentality, maybe you would discover that NOBODY has said anything about gun control from the Left for awhile.

drc2
Quote drc2:

What absolute crap you total blockhead. If you can find the sources to back up those charges, you would have to have it be "liberals" and not just one or two individuals, and I doubt you could find that number who say what you say they say.

Gun Control only means having a reasonable standard of public and social responsibility. It does nothing about legitimate hunters or sport shooters, and I don't know of anyone on the Left who has spoken out against hunters and sport shooters other than advocates of "animal rights." They are not about gun control, they are about not killing our fellow creatures. I am with them on lust hunting, but not on meat hunters. If you don't want/need the meat, use a camera to show what a great tracker and stalker you are. All the "sport" with none of the killing.

Liberals in general are opposed to the absurd level of guns in urban locales as well as to the culture of gun love and macho attached to lethal devices. We do not find any positive evidence or indication that a pistol packing population will be more peaceful than one where "you leave your guns at home." Don't Take Your Guhs to Town Boy, and Wyatt Earp enforced gun control in Dodge City if I remember how the Old West really worked.

By "gun love" I am not talking about the fascination with the mechanics and art of making a really effective shooting instrument or even the enjoyment of using that fine tool to attain great accuracy in target shooting. Nope, it is the "love" that alters the sense of self of the gun owner and makes him feel tougher or more fulfilled because he can carry one around and impress others. Or not, maybe it is only to impress himself and make him feel "like a man." Either way, it is the totemic power of the gun that is the problem.

But, cons who are obsessed with Obama Gonna Take Away Yo Guns need to go to serious therapy and avoid the reinforcement of your militia drinking buddies. If you can get out of the bunker mentality, maybe you would discover that NOBODY has said anything about gun control from the Left for awhile.

Well stated!

But you know he's going to come back with more blather about liberals trying to hurt him and take away his rights..... more blah blah blah.

Really had my fill of these guys..... It's Friday and time for a beer!

delete jan in iowa
Quote chilidog:
Quote whiskeyman:

Seriously?

You don't think I can produce a single piece of evidence that the GOP isn't interested in stopping illegal immigration?

your answer has made my point. thank you

whiskeyman's picture
whiskeyman

Exhibit 1: Simpson Mazzoli Act.

Is every right winger on these boards younger than 24?

chilidog

I'm not saying he's going to take those rights away those rights just pointing out the hypocracy of left. The second amendment says:A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. If the left wants to say that requiring Id infringes on minority rights to vote how does requiring id to purchase a firearm not break the second amendment requirement for no infringement placed on bearing arms?

Commonsense461
Quote Commonsense461:... If the left wants to say that requiring Id infringes on minority rights to vote how does requiring id to purchase a firearm not break the second amendment requirement for no infringement placed on bearing arms?

A logic puzzle!

I believe we think that the right to bear arms is expressed in the formation of the militia - it is not an individual's right to bear arms outside of the militia. So a well regulated militia is necessary, and so is the regulation of arms.

Requring id to vote will discourage people who don't have ID from voting. This would not be a problem for minority rights except for the fact that more minorities live in the urban center. More importantly, more Democrats live in the urban center. So, making it more difficult for urban people to vote will mean the Republicans will win and hence more people will be murdered in the middle east.

And you can tell your grandkids you helped it happen!

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

You aren't an elderly person with no transportation. You aren't a student temporarily living in a college town. Voting is such a pain, it's hard to imagine a large number of people going to the trouble just to commit fraud. Show me the fraud that warrants this kind of draconion rule. If you were truly worried about fraud and just not trying to limit demo votes, what about photo ID with absentee ballots and internet voting?

DynoDon

Fraud is not being committed on a large scale. Most major elections are so close , it takes only a few fraudulent or illegal vote to change the out come of an election. And it has been shown that most fraudulent and illegal votes are democratic. Obamy's gotta have em.

Why don't we address voter intimidation like the new black panthers committed in 2008 at a Philadelphia polling place. The investigation was halted by Obamy's racist henchman, AG Holder.

Caiming that there has not been illegal and fraudulent voting is false. Most of the cases that have been found were not prosecuted by a democrat prosecuter.

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote camaroman:...Most major elections are so close , it takes only a few fraudulent or illegal vote to change the out come of an election.

Most major federal elections are not close. There have been only a few instances where someone challenges the vote results. In no case has anyone tried to convince a judge or jury that voter id was responsible. The most controversial among elections - Florida in 2000, Ohio in 2004, have all been due to Republicans taking voters off the rolls or supplying urban areas with fewer machines.

And it has been shown that most fraudulent and illegal votes are democratic. Obamy's gotta have em.

Quote camaroman:...Why don't we address voter intimidation like the new black panthers committed in 2008 at a Philadelphia polling place. The investigation was halted by Obamy's racist henchman, AG Holder.

It was halted under Bush as well. However, it is ludicrous to think that this was an instance of 'voter intimidation', because - according to the video - the new Black Panther party person was not threatening an voters, nor could they see how people voted.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

It is a fact that a majority of voter support voter ID requirements , 82% in fact do. Those strongly opposing voter ID have been found to be mostly liberal dems.

Quote:

"Voter fraud does exist, and criminal penalties imposed after the fact are an insufficient deterrent to protect against it. For example, in Crawford v. Marion County Election Board,[3] the 2008 case in which the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Indiana’s voter ID law, the Court said that despite such criminal penalties:

It remains true, however, that flagrant examples of such fraud in other parts of the country have been documented throughout this Nation’s history by respected historians and journalists, that occasional examples have surfaced in recent years…that…demonstrate that not only is the risk of voter fraud real but that it could affect the outcome of a close election.[4]

For those trying to defend America’s electoral integrity, the stakes are high. The relative rarity of voter fraud prosecutions for impersonation fraud, as the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals pointed out in the Indiana case, can be “explained by the endemic underenforcement” of voter fraud cases and “the extreme difficulty of apprehending a voter impersonator” without the tools—a voter ID—needed to detect such fraud.[5] This nation should not tolerate even one election being stolen, but without the tools to detect these illegal schemes, it is hard to know just how many close elections are being affected."

Here is the full text if one cares to enlighten himself about the bogus and ridiculous claims against voter ID requirements:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/voter-photo-identification-protecting-the-security-of-elections

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Ever heard of project veritas?

Commonsense461

Not until now. Thanks Commonsense461 for helping me prove my point.

Quote:

"With the 8 vote margin in the 2012 Iowa Caucus, it is clear that voter fraud can influence the outcome of an election. It is important to note that Project Veritas' team had the ability to cast more than a dozen votes in this latest investigation."

http://theprojectveritas.com/voterfraud1

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote camaroman: [quoting a Appeals Court decision] ..It remains true, however, that flagrant examples of such fraud in other parts of the country have been documented throughout this Nation’s history by respected historians and journalists, that occasional examples have surfaced in recent years…that…demonstrate that not only is the risk of voter fraud real but that it could affect the outcome of a close election

The risk is real, it could influence an election. That is not saying that this has influenced an election. If you weigh the risks and benefits of voter iD laws - the result is obvious - make voting easier, not harder. And please, spare us propaganda from the Heritage Institute next time.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

You guys are arguing with a man who has sex with his camaro.

It's grotesque, I know, but he has a PICTURE ID that allows him to do this.

If we banned the use of picture IDs for the purpose of tailpiping, he'd instead be writing something just as stupid.

anonymous green

Doc, are yu saying that just because the article came from the Heritage Institute that the Court did not say that? Bullshit!!! Again a progressive libtard dem attacking the messenger. Are they lying about the quote? Bullshit!!!

You dems (and I am not a repub) will not except the fact that voter ID requirement will help prevent voter fraud that has and does exist.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Probably no one cares when you say that "you are not a Republican," "you didn't vote for Bush," etc.

I've seen the websites where you get your information. That's fine. Present your ideas, defend them passionately.

chilidog

when it happens in general elections it is usually in favor of the dem candidate but it also happens in repub elections. There is eveidence of voter fraud in the Iowa presidential caucus and in the New Hampshire and South Carolina primaries. The dem controlled house in Iowa is blocking its passage.

Quote, "The Democrat-controlled Iowa Senate refuses to even debate Schultz’s Voter ID bill in committee. It’s an issue that Schultz campaigned on throughout 2010 and has continued to push since becoming Iowa’s Secretary of State. Despite the obstacles, he refuses to give up the fight for the Voter ID bill. “All it does is give me more energy to go talk about this issue,” Schultz said.

Iowa and national polls show the majority of people, even the majority of Democrats, agree with Matt Schultz on the Voter ID issue. If the ongoing investigations of voter fraud in Iowa result in convictions, the rising tide in favor of this law could eventually be too much for Democrat legislators to overcome."

http://theiowarepublican.com/2012/schultz-voter-fraud-investigations-underway-in-iowa/

Quote, "Yet more evidence of voter fraud has emerged, this time in the wake of Saturday’s primary in South Carolina, where it was reported that at least 953 votes had been cast by people who were listed as dead.

http://www.infowars.com/voter-fraud-dead-people-cast-over-950-ballots-in-south-carolina/

But it is the dems that challenge every attempt by a state to pass voter ID requirementa WHY?

camaroman's picture
camaroman
Quote camaroman:

But it is the dems that challenge every attempt by a state to pass voter ID requirementa WHY?

Are you serious? Folks have been telling you why for over a week. Why should anyone waste their fingers any more?

delete jan in iowa

Voter suppression is a bogus distacting lie.

This article presents compelling evidence that it is mainly a contentious issue with the DNC. I have also read that 82% of voters from all parties favor voter ID. Why it that only DNC officials and racist henchmen for Obamy, and Obamy himself so admently opposed to voter ID? Could it be because they need voter fraud and intimidation to help them win elections?

http://www.courageinamerica.com/2011/12/plain-and-simple-dnc-wants-voter-fraud.html

I know you are going to attack the messenger....

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Since when is a political party's caucus an election? If the repubs can't have integrity in their politics-not my or the country's problem.

DynoDon

Ok. If we had an ideal world and EVERY eligible voter was given or already owned a ID that passed all state requirements and it was necessary to present it at the polls in order to vote, would the democrats oppose it?

Redwing's picture
Redwing

A true democracy encourages voter participation-not limits it. So it would be great in your ideal world if ID were readily available and demos would not oppose it. Of course, I realize your question is just the start of a slippery slope argument to point out some defective liberal argument. Let's get your ideal world first and then worry about voter ID. So a logical conclusion is that you are opposed to internet and absentee voting because of the lack of ID.

DynoDon

Internet no vote. Absentee yes if your ID is validated at the time you are given the ballot and a method is in place that will prohibit you from getting a second one.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

TX is in court today.

It's as simple as getting the free ID from DMV. Just present your birth certificate and you get your photo ID. To get your required birth certificate copy, just present a required photo ID, what could be simpler. They can't give a birth certificate to someone without a photo ID. They can't give a photo ID to someone without a birth certificate. Republican law is oxymoronic or maybe like the mafia code. Criminals have their own laws.

The cases of voter fraud were staged to present the case that voter ID is needed. It didn't matter who they voted for, the whole point was to commit fraud and tip the technique to the media, like fox maybe? Republicans stole FL 2000, they can't win without stealing it. PA rep is on video stating the purpose.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

In an ideal world we wouldn't have precincts where half the people living there shouldn't be living there. And if the GOP won't address the problem then they can live with the consequences.

chilidog

What are you talk about?

Commonsense461

In CA, you are mailed a ballot after signing a form and mailing it in. No ID. Voter fraud must be the reason CA has been Democrat for so long.

DynoDon

Maybe you just hit on the reason California is the financial shape they are in.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

Az is worse off financially, and has had conservative govt for five decades.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

DD, "Since when is a political party's caucus an election? If the repubs can't have integrity in their politics-not my or the country's problem."

It merely points to the fact that it crosses party lines. Especially when there is a Ron Paul that scares the hell out of the rest of the corpoprate shill candidates.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Maybe Arizona is overrun with illegals. That fact if true will change quickly with California passing the

‘ANTI-ARIZONA’ IMMIGRATION BILL

Redwing's picture
Redwing
Quote camaroman:Doc, are yu saying that just because the article came from the Heritage Institute that the Court did not say that?

No, I am not saying that. I am simply saying you cannot use the Heritage Institute as a fact source. The court said there may be a risk. Fine. You weigh the costs and the bennefits and make a decision.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

OK, in Texas I have always been asked for an ID when I vote. My decision is everyone else should too. In the small town I live in I know some of the elections officials, they still ask for my ID.

camaroman's picture
camaroman

Will service personnel on bases and ships have to show ID?

chilidog
Quote camaroman:

OK, in Texas I have always been asked for an ID when I vote. My decision is everyone else should too. In the small town I live in I know some of the elections officials, they still ask for my ID.

They probably want to see if you are actually licensed to drive a Camaro, regardless of how foolish you were to actually purchase one.

anonymous green
Quote anonymous green:
Quote camaroman:

They probably want to see if you are actually licensed to drive a Camaro, regardless of how foolish you were to actually purchase one.

What's wrong with a Camaro? Low horsepower, low torque or bad gas milage?

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Whennever one of these guys wants to pass sweeping voter ID laws because of the "RISK that it COULD" influence an election, I ask them when they plan on passing sweeping legislation to address global warming. After all, there is a risk that human activity could affect climate change.

livinginthepast's picture
livinginthepast
Quote whiskeyman:
Quote chilidog:
Quote whiskeyman:

Seriously?

your answer has made my point. thank you

I guess we won't have anything to debate no matter who wins next month:

"Before those visas have expired we will have the full immigration reform plan that I've proposed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/10/02/romney-immigratio...

chilidog

Another case for voter ID requirement.

darlinedarline1@aol.com's picture
darlinedarline1...

You can't let facts or evidence get in the way of an agenda. The Tea Party Space Alien Defense fund is also doing an effective job fighting space aliens-thank God for them! With the Tea Party in charge of defending truth, justice and the American dream-I sleep well at night.

DynoDon

Space aliens, another case for voter ID requirement. Thanks for reminding me.

darlinedarline1@aol.com's picture
darlinedarline1...

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.