Pondering the Unthinkable for Democrats

18 posts / 0 new

It's time to bring up the subject that tightens the sphincters of Democrats. What are you going to do and say when Obama is not reelected? The economy will not be doing well come election time. The repub governors will be successful in limiting voter turnout. The secret money will flood all media with negative ads. Obama will pay the price for his miscalculation on how bad the economy really was in 2009 and his mistaken focus on healthcare reform. He will be haunted by his administration's promise that unemployment would be below 8% by now.

So will demos view this like Bush v Gore in 2000 and bitch for the next 4 years about the stolen election again? I'm not saying there isn't some truth to it, but are we looking at a replay of 2000?

DynoDon

Comments

Keep in mind the repubs will keep the House(get used to seeing ISSA alot) and win more seats in the Senate if not outright take it over. What's was Obama going to do with A Congress like that?

DynoDon

"What are you going to do and say when Obama is not reelected?"

If Obama is elected, I will rest. If he is not, I won't.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Better stock up on 5 Hour Energy.

DynoDon

Put 41 Democratic Senators' phone numbers on my cell phone?

Take a course on processing immigration filings. There will be a general amnesty, this year if Romney wins, probaby 2016 if Obama wins.

chilidog

50 Republicans senators and Romney as President would repeal Obamacare. No fillibuster possible, as I understand it.

It could happen.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

I would think the repubs would have to come up with an alternative before eliminating Obamacare. Oh God, this fall is going to be ugly. Between the political ads and the Medicare Advantage commercials, the media is going to be boring.

DynoDon
Quote DynoDon:

It's time to bring up the subject that tightens the sphincters of Democrats. What are you going to do and say when Obama is not reelected? The economy will not be doing well come election time.

My sphincter will be nice and relaxed, because we need a world without George Bailey to overcome the overall ignorance and irrational fear that drives working class Americans into conservatives' lair.......Other than losing my earned Medicare with the Ryan plan, I won't cry because I believe we need a resumption of GOP control, to allow them to jettison the middle class, at corporate CEO request. After the resulting crash, people will see the light, and conservatives will be run out of Washington again for 40 years, just like after the 1929 Republican crash. The cycle will then start again. Dick Morris was right.

al3's picture
al3

I know, at some point we get Kristoferson and "when you've got nothin', you've got nothin' to lose." We are not quite to the point where when we have nothing to live for we can find something to die for, but the same dynamic of hitting bottom and needing to do something other than go away becomes the existential reality.

I like the idea that the Age of Greed exhausts itself. What comes next is the cycle, not just the pendulum. The idea of a constant pulse of Right and Left, with sanity and reality being "in the middle" has come from the duopoly dance we think of as democracy. In the boom and bust history of American Capitalism, the cycle is fixed within the pathology. Greed over-reaches, but reform does not change the gamew theory. It just "regulates" the pathology.

I hope Batra is right about the cycles being bigger than the binary polarity of American politics. If we can learn something from this major expression of America's pathology, we might have a chance to change the paradigm. Batra tells us that those who give their lives for others become the new heroes. Soldiers and teachers. Imagine that combo without the war issue, and what comes up is a real "lay down one's life for another" sense of community and interdependence. Maybe we can reclaim the military virtues of unit solidarity and leaving no bodies behind for our domestic culture.

drc2

Before you make plans you have to understand what is coming. American Bainicide shows the vulture's picnic that the US will be. When you have a cancerous infection you can usually identify the progress of the disease, and which parts will be surgically removed. I recommend you catch the 1984 movie [made in 1984] with Suzanna Hamilton for a reminder if you read the book a long time ago.

Get familiar with dystopia.

the-top-50-dystopian-movies-of-all-time Pleasantville and The Trial piqued my interest.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

The Trial is a great book as well.

Kafka could hardly read his own stuff, because it made him laugh hysterically.

anonymous green
Quote al3:
Quote DynoDon:

It's time to bring up the subject that tightens the sphincters of Democrats. What are you going to do and say when Obama is not reelected? The economy will not be doing well come election time.

My sphincter will be nice and relaxed, because we need a world without George Bailey to overcome the overall ignorance and irrational fear that drives working class Americans into conservatives' lair.......Other than losing my earned Medicare with the Ryan plan, I won't cry because I believe we need a resumption of GOP control, to allow them to jettison the middle class, at corporate CEO request. After the resulting crash, people will see the light, and conservatives will be run out of Washington again for 40 years, just like after the 1929 Republican crash. The cycle will then start again. Dick Morris was right.

I agree with you about the cycles, but they are a little shorter than 40 years. Go back to 1992, everybody is pissed off at daddy Bush. Bill Clinton gets swept into office and the Democrats declare a new era and try and ram their left wing agenda down our throats. They are shown the door big time in 1994, and Republicans hold the house for the next 12 years after not having control of that branch for 40 some odd years. Bill Clinton has to move way to the right to stay in office. Then the Republicans go to far and get shown the door in 2006 and 2008 in a big way. The Dems come in, declare a new era, and again try and ram their agenda down our throats. Once again, they get shown the door in a big way in 2010. What will happen in 2012? We'll see.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

The present is the time of mass propoganda and mass misinformation due to mass social networking. This is something they didn't have in the past so I doubt there will ever be a repeat of a anything in the way of a 40 year hold by the Democrats. The Republicans have a chance to pull it off since they control 90% of the media. Everytime I'm in a McDonalds and everytime I'm in a Hotel lobby, there's Fox news on the telly. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I get anti Democrat rhetoric 20 to 1 on my Facebook page and my e-mails. How the Democrats even have a chance is beyond me.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote Bush_Wacker:

The present is the time of mass propoganda and mass misinformation due to mass social networking. This is something they didn't have in the past so I doubt there will ever be a repeat of a anything in the way of a 40 year hold by the Democrats. The Republicans have a chance to pull it off since they control 90% of the media. Everytime I'm in a McDonalds and everytime I'm in a Hotel lobby, there's Fox news on the telly. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I get anti Democrat rhetoric 20 to 1 on my Facebook page and my e-mails. How the Democrats even have a chance is beyond me.

I forgot that everytime someone is on the telly or facebook and they are anti Democratic, they are spouting mis information. Thanks for the reminder.

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58

You're welcome maui!

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote DynoDon:He will be haunted by his administration's promise that unemployment would be below 8% by now.
There was NO such promise. The report with that number was written BEFORE the Obama took office and before the Stimulus bill was even fully written. The report it contained numerous caveats that they could NOT be sure about anything. Only the GOP mispresents this report as being some solid promise so they can then go on to say... see, the Stimulus didn't work.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

http://reason.com/blog/2012/02/21/fact-checking-the-fact-checkers-mitt-rom

"Romney’s statement probably wouldn’t make it through a decent magazine fact checking without being reworded. But the same essential point could be made without introducing errors: Even if Obama himself didn’t tell America that an economic stimulus package would reduce unemployment to 8 percent, top administrations officials projected that figure in a report that was released to the public.

The Post is correct that Romney gets at least one detail wrong: Obama himself did not explicitly make the claim. But after he’d won the election, Obama’s top advisers projected, in an official capacity, that an economic stimulus of almost exactly the size of the one that eventually passed would reduce unemployment to 8 percent before the end of 2011."

DynoDon

Oh op you mean like the fact that al gore senior filibustered and voted against the civilrights act of 1964?

Commonsense461

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.