Sign the petition! Demand to see Mitt Romney's tax returns beyond one year!

48 posts / 0 new

Please sign the petition to Mitt.

http://democracyforamerica.com/activities/797?t=dkos

Mitt Romney argues he would be a good president because of his experience at Bain Capital. However, evidence is piling up that he made millions at Bain by firing American workers, outsourcing jobs, and keeping his money overseas.

Romney could shed some light on this by releasing multiple years of his tax returns, as every major presidential candidate has done for decades. This practice was actually pioneered by Romney's father, George, who released 12 years of tax returns when he ran for president in 1968.

However, Mitt Romney has only released one year of his tax returns, increasing suspicion he got rich mainly by dismantling the American middle class. He is starting to take a pounding for it in the media, too. We can help fuel that media narrative with this petition, and put Romney's campaign in a hole from which it can never recover.

Please, click here to sign the petition to Mitt Romney demanding that he release all of his tax returns. We'll work with out partners at Democracy for America to deliver the signatures to Romney's campaign headquarters, and do so with the media watching.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Wake up! There is no difference between Romney and Obama. Who cares how many tax returns he shows!

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

Can you get obamas transcripts while your at it.

Commonsense461

Who cares how much money he has? What does that have to do with anything? I'm not the jealous type. His income is his business.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Go ahead and debate all you want.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Maybe doesn't have anything to hide??? Hmmmm.....and then again MAYBE HE DOES!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I care and plenty of others care. So if he wants to be President he should pony up and show the tax returns! Or maybe he has something to hide?

Oh but I'm sure you don't want to go there and neither does he!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

ABC News’ George Will slammed presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney for failing to fully release information on his tax returns and offshore accounts, saying Romney “must have calculated that there are higher costs in releasing them.” ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd agreed, saying “there’s obviously something there” in Romney’s returns that he doesn’t want public.

Mr. Emanuel suggested that the undisclosed returns could hold only bad news about Mr. Romney’s finances, and might even have played a role in Senator John McCain’s decision to reject Mr. Romney as a running mate in 2008 and turn instead to Sarah Palin. Mr. Romney gave Mr. McCain’s team 23 years of returns.

“The Romney campaign isn’t stupid,” Mr. Emanuel said. “They have decided that it’s better to get attacked on a lack of transparency, lack of accountability to the American people, versus telling you what’s in those taxes.”

Some Republicans have joined the call for a broader release of tax returns, including the former Mississippi governor Haley Barbour.

Enough said.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Williard is hiding something. He doesn't want to boggle the "the little people's" minds with pesky facts. They simply wouldn't understand. He won't be able to play hide 'n seek into the White House. He is not to be trusted.

GOPhreeloaders's picture
GOPhreeloaders

I guess he's afraid we might find out the truth about what he did at Drain Capitol.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

How far could silverspoon rummy have gotten without the corporate welfare he recieved from American tax payers? Without the federal interstate road systems Americans built in partnership with the Feds, without the corporate tax loopholes or the ability to move his wealth off shore, to avoid paying for the government handouts he recieved. His entire life, existence and financial position has been dependent on the US government and the removal of checks and balances that used to be in place to maintain a level playing field that would help to elevate the middle class as productivity rose. To raise the living standard of the working and middle class as the wealth of the top 10% rose.

My point is that rummy, along with goptv, the msm, and the low information voters that worship the 1% PR machine are promoting a myth. The myth of the strong independent, hard working, wealthy individuals that made it on their own with no help from the US tax payers, government or advantages given to them. The more they talk, the more the American people see the myth for what it is, a big lie. They react with anger and volume and repeat the myth. Their policies of removing the checks and balances, eliminating regulation and capturing government agencies has drained our nation of its wealth and confidence and has put it in the hands of the 1%. It seems their only recourse is to place the blame on the greedy teachers, firemen, union workers and the victims of their policies whose wages have not moved in 30 years. Quite lame and very transparent and the majority of Americans are laughing at them. They're blinded by their arrogance and belief in the myth they created. It's over they've lost, they just don't know it yet.

bamboo's picture
bamboo

I'm with ya MrsBJLee!

bamboo's picture
bamboo
Quote LysanderSpooner:

Wake up! There is no difference between Romney and Obama. Who cares how many tax returns he shows!

obviously not you because you are so naive you do not see why it is important to inform the public that a potential candidate is corrupt and has been lying and not paying taxes and encouraging others to do the same and accepting bribes from rich billionaires to only sign bills that reduce their tax obligation and pass it onto the poor and middle class... idiots like you are the ones that vote for crooks like these because you do not take the time to learn what's going on before talking out your ass. https://www.thomhartmann.com/users/overturn/blog/2012/07/still-voting-mitt-romney

https://www.thomhartmann.com/users/overturn/blog/2012/07/monsanto-seeds-deception

https://www.thomhartmann.com/users/overturn/blog/2012/07/why-fox-news-isnt-news-how-fox-fired-couple-reporters-over-negative-mons

https://www.thomhartmann.com/users/overturn/blog/2012/07/ballad-steve-heller

https://www.thomhartmann.com/users/overturn/blog/2012/07/bev-harris-black-box-voting-org-released-video-ky-kentucky-fried-electio

overturn's picture
overturn

Thank you VERY MUCH!! You put it so well in the previous post! I hope enough people wake up and quit believing the lies! Thanks for your support. It means allot to me!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I like your style! Thanks for your support!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I don't need to see any of Mitt Romney's tax returns.

Mitt Romney has a Swiss bank account.

Barack Obama does not have a Swiss bank account.

Who else is on the ballot?

chilidog

Seriously, you don't want to know what he did at Drain Capitol? LOL.....

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I wrote a thread asking what a "Discretely Presented Component Unit" is...

This is EXACTLY how your State hides OUR money that is to be laundered. You know... the money you work 3-7 months out of the year for... yeah, "that" money!

Look it up.

They are called Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports. (CAFR's) Look into them.

They "used" to do a thorough audit. Now they ADMIT that the State does NOT audit certain things. One of those things are DPCU's.

So in basics... they are like professional wrestling referees. They call what they see... they just purposefully put themselves into positions where they don't see certain things.

Ever wonder how it is that politicians become wealthy?

Now you know.

----------------------

Of all the things Jeff Santos has "cribbed" from me... I wish this was one of them!

I am thinking about writing EVERYTHING that I have found out about unreported monies in our system. Then again... I don't want to mysteriously die in a car crash.

Man... Nixon would LOVE being a politician today! What he got caught doing was NOTHING compared to what these turd burglers are doing today!

NOW... it's all "legal".

Fletcher Christian's picture
Fletcher Christian

If Mitt Robedme made a deal with the log cabin republicans in Massachusetts in exchange for them helping him get elected as governor, what makes you think he would not sell his soul to the devil and make a deal with Dick Cheney and others who paid $30.000.00 a plate at the little get together to figure out how to mislead even more who are now questioning all of his lies... I suspect they plan on rigging voting machines indirectly with bribe money to those at control central... that way, they do not care and are bound to produce bogus polls showing the national election to be a dead heat projection with Mitt slightly ahead near the finish line so as to lesson the question of the rigged tallied outcome of the rigged election via modern day technology and behind the seen hacking... Time to take a sledge hammer to the voting machines so the only choice come the day of the election is to cast a paper ballot... something the poll workers will have to count like they use to before all this corrupt bull shit started taking place... these people that work the polls and are coned into purchasing these voting machines know about as much about their internal workings as they do about a slot machine in Vegas...

overturn's picture
overturn

There is no benefit to Romeny to release anything beyond that which is legally required to run for office. Exactly Obama's approach.

stwo's picture
stwo

Romney should release his records at least back to '90, conversely, arguablely the second most important thing any President does is make appointments to the "supreme Court". If Romney's tax returns are fair game then Obama's (the constitutional scholar) position papers and any thesis he wrote while at Columbia and Harvard should be public record.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Show us your tax returns ROMNEY! WHAT ARE YOU HIDING? ? ? DID YOU EVEN PAY TAXES? IS IT GOING TO SHOW THAT YOU SAID ON YOUR TAX STATEMENTS THAT YOU WERE IN CHARGE OF DRAIN CAPITOL THE YEARS YOU ARE NOW SAYING THAT YOU WERE NOT? ? ? JUST SHOW US THE TAX RETURNS IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Maybe I'm getting old.

Back in the day, if someone had a Swiss bank account, he was a crook. There's no other reason for having a Swiss bank account. You can have a British bank account, you can have a French bank account, German, Italian, Dutch, no problems. Swiss bank account = bad stuff. Hell you could probably get away with having bank accounts in the Cayman Islands or Panama. EVERYONE knows about SWISS bank accounts.

chilidog

Well said chilidog! However I wouldn't be suprised if he also had a Cayman Island account and maybe a few of the others too! LOL....

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Check this one out ... the best theory i have seen yet :

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-17/whats-romney-hiding-in-his-tax-returns

miksilvr

Good theory. After all the hoops they made President Obama jump through with regards to his birth certificate, I think Romney should have to jump through a few himself. SHOW US YOUR TAX RETURNS ROMNEY! WHAT ARE YOU HIDING? ? ? IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE THEN BREAK OUT THE TAX RETURNS AND COME CLEAN!!!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Y'all are such hypocrites do you really think that if you looked at who has foreign accounts it would ply be republicans? Debbie wasaerrman Shultz has a swis bank account also but you never come down on her for it.

Commonsense461
Quote Commonsense461:

Debbie wasaerrman Shultz has a swis bank account

No she doesn't.

chilidog

Is Debbie running for President? This is the most important job in our country! BREAK OUT THE TAX RETURNS MITT!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget to sign the petition!! BREAK OUT THE TAX RETURNS MITT!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote chilidog:
Quote Commonsense461:

Debbie wasaerrman Shultz has a swis bank account

No she doesn't.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/dem-chair-invested-swiss-banks-forei...

Commonsense461

Owning stock of a bank is NOT owning a bank account.

chilidog
Quote chilidog:

Owning stock of a bank is NOT owning a bank account.

Parking money of shore is parking money off shore. There are no tax advantages to having a Swiss bank acount and If you read the article the money in the swiss bank acount is a trust he inherited.

Commonsense461
Quote Commonsense461:

Y'all are such hypocrites do you really think that if you looked at who has foreign accounts it would ply be republicans? Debbie wasaerrman Shultz has a swis bank account also but you never come down on her for it.

I didn't know that she was running for President. Please finish school.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

If I own stock in Nestle I am not "parking money off shore."

If you are arguing that we should try and restrict American capital from investing overseas, I agree. Perhaps tax those dividends and capital gains at a higher rate.

I gotcha. Income from trust funds you inherited are not taxable. There probably is no income. Heck, there's probably only six dollars in the account. Nothing to see here, move along.

chilidog

While you are at it, lets make a request for this information from the White House.Got to keep everything transparent and equal.

Could you please help me find these things, Sir?

Occidental College records -- Not released
Columbia College records -- Not released
Columbia Thesis paper -- "Not available"
Harvard College records -- Not released
Selective Service Registration -- Not released
Medical records -- Not released
Illinois State Senate schedule -- Not available
Your Illinois State Senate records -- Not available
Law practice client list -- Not released

Record of your baptism -- Not available

Why your wife, Michelle, can no longer practice law as an attorney? (Insurance Fraud?)
Why your wife has 22 assistants, when other First Ladies had only one?
Why were you getting "foreign student aid" as a college student?
Which country's "passport" did you have when you visited Pakistan in 1981?

Oh and one more thing Mr. President, I can't seem to find any articles you published as editor of the Harvard Law Review, or as a Professor at the University of Chicago. Can you explain that to me, Sir?

Oh, but hey -- listen! I know you're busy!

Redwing's picture
Redwing

I very, very much would like Romney to release his tax records, income statements, etc. (Clearly he is demanding these kinds of things from potential vice presidential candidates, even as he demanded them from the companies that Bain Capital was buying.)

It seems to me that the only people who say they are not interested in learning more about Romney's financial status are the same people who say that we have to reduce voter fraud by making it very difficult for the poor and disenfranchised among us to vote. Surprise! Surprise!

Matthew Dowd on Week in Review last week, Sunday, told Mary Matalin that if her glass had truth serum in it, and she was going to drink it, she would would know that she could not tell others that Mitt Romney had nothing to hide by his refusal to release more than one year of his tax history.

But the drip, drip, drip will continue and more information will dribble out, such as the fact now that Mitt's early investors were wealthy, non-American investors and many of them were based in Panama, an area known for some-what screwy tax connivings.

Someone also suggested today -- I think Sam Seder -- that perhaps Romney's tax statements would show that he paid a fine to the US Government for having his funds illegally in a Swiss account -- the US government gave a one-time break to money-cheats about 3 years ago if they declared their "error" and moved their money out of Switzerland back to the US.

But we don't know, we don't know, we don't know!

Yours,

Caleb

Caleb's picture
Caleb
Quote Redwing:

While you are at it, lets make a request for this information from the White House.Got to keep everything transparent and equal.

Could you please help me find these things, Sir?

Selective Service Registration -- Not released
Medical records -- Not released
Illinois State Senate schedule -- Not available
Your Illinois State Senate records -- Not available
Law practice client list -- Not released

Record of your baptism -- Not available

Why your wife, Michelle, can no longer practice law as an attorney? (Insurance Fraud?)
Why your wife has 22 assistants, when other First Ladies had only one?
Why were you getting "foreign student aid" as a college student?
Which country's "passport" did you have when you visited Pakistan in 1981?

Oh and one more thing Mr. President, I can't seem to find any articles you published as editor of the Harvard Law Review, or as a Professor at the University of Chicago. Can you explain that to me, Sir?

Oh, but hey -- listen! I know you're busy!

Legitimate questions one and all. How about it Mr. President?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

I've come around to wanting to see his tax returns, because he doesn't have that Swiss bank account any more. He probably got caught in that UBS settlement.

Oh, he closed the Swiss bank accounts but still has bank accounts in the Caymans!

chilidog

So does many members of congress as possibly many of us with 401k's that have investments all over the world. Very few people really know where every dollar of their retirement accounts lay. It really makes no difference to me where he has money. A smart investor will hire the best people available to make financial decisions for them as long as they are within the limits of tax code. Romney's advisors seem to be far more capable than the CZAR's and cabinet members Obama has self selected to do the job. Time for a change. The last one didn't work.

Redwing's picture
Redwing

Yeah, go back to the Crack. Cold Turkey didn't work. Idiot, we need an Intervention on Wall St. to stop the frauds. Obama wanted to make nice to be bipartisan and to restore our confidence; but what we see is sick, and to be 'confident' in it would to be delusional. We get to choose between the nice guy who wants us to believe that the system can be made to work, or we get to go back to the guys who blew it up and collected a lot of cash for the pleasure.

Romney has not one new idea about how Wall St. ought to behave than did those who minced up the bad mortgages, blessed them with prime ratings, and sold them to our pension funds, etc. Why anyone who has been watching the ankle-biting GOPimps vote against every rational job creating measure so they could say, " this one didn't work, let's try the other brand" doesn't get it amazes me. You are either a shill or an idiot, or both.

drc2
Quote Redwing:

So does many members of congress as possibly many of us with 401k's that have investments all over the world. Very few people really know where every dollar of their retirement accounts lay.

You are a LIAR.

I own shares of SPY. I do not have a Swiss bank account. You know the difference.

chilidog

Don't forget to sign the petition at the beginning of this thread please! ;-)

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I want to buy a home. The lender required me to give them 4 years of tax returns. 4 years to get a mortgage to buy a house. Then they required a release form so they could get 4 years of tax transcripts from the IRS. Why doesn't Romney have to follow similar rules when he wants to take on the obligation of running the country? Romney wants to be the President of the United States of America. How many years of taxes has he released?

FreedomVoice's picture
FreedomVoice

I won't demand anything of Romney. If he isn't man enough to show his returns for whatever reason then I will never vote for the man. It's that simple. If the so called conservatives really believe what they preach all of the time then they won't vote for him either. They want everyone to show an ID to vote and they want everyone on the government dole to take drug tests. If they really think that truth and honesty matters in their government then they will also expect to see Romney's returns. Otherwise they are all just talking out of their arses.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Transparent and equal? Did Romney release these things you're asking for (as if you really want to see them)? If I saw Romney's tax records I'd be looking through them line by line, at every penny. If you saw anything on your recycled list of items you scooped up from other websites from other Romney supporting clones manufactured out of his "Down with Obama" campaign to even get nominated.... (taking a breath)... you probably would use it as toilet paper. You, or anyone asking Obama for these things really want to see them. However, the difference between you me and a lot of other people, we really really really would like to see Romney's tax records. And Romney is the reason why we want to see them. We don't trust him, some of us would like to, a lot of us don't. America deserves to know who exactly they are voting for if they happen to vote for Romney. So far I doubt many people really know him.

Oh yeah, Romney wrote a book.. "No Apology"... unless of course you're begging the president for an apology. Romney should be compared to an abuser. Have you seen how he ran his campaign? He's mentally abusing America and no one is speaking up about it.

FreedomVoice's picture
FreedomVoice
Quote LysanderSpooner:

No they are not the Same, that iw RWNJ lie to keep people from voting

PS WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP YOUR WORD AND LEAVE THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recovering conservative2's picture
Recovering cons...
Quote Redwing:

We have been over this before. These records are not routinely released by people running for president.

Of course, after doing a 5 minute google search, it is quite obvious why Obama is trying to lock down his records - people are obtaining fraudulant information about them and breaking identity laws to do it. For example, here.

And your propoaganda is out of date. They did find an article Obama published. Another 5 minute google search.

This is really dumb, even for you.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.