Suckers burned by huckster

3 posts / 0 new

21-treated-for-burns-in-firewalk-during-robbins-motivational-seminar Robbins coaches people to get up, move, jump, all kinds of things. Motivational indeed, hot coals make people jump with or without tony, and are 600 dollars cheaper.

"I heard wails of pain, screams of agony," one of the attendees, Jonathan Correll, 25, told the Mercury News.

One woman seemed to be in so much pain "it was horrific," he added.

"It was people seriously hurting, like they were being tortured," the newspaper quoted Correll as saying. "First one person, then a couple minutes later another one, and there was just a line of people walking on that fire. It was just bizarre, man."

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

Robbins could not be reached on Saturday through his media contacts.

In a written statement reported in the Mercury News, Robbins Research International defended the "firewalk," a regular part of the Unleash seminar.

They are pushing mind control, however the science of firewaliking works better, but then you can't rip off 6000 gullible marks. Republicans hate science, rush tells them to.

Another precaution one might take is to try it at the end of a summer going barefoot, callouses are more protective then faith.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

Tony Robbins plugged

Robbins hit the big time back in the 1980s, during the firewalking craze. Remember firewalking? The idea was that you paid money, and in return, you got to walk on hot coals, and the purpose of this was to . . .

Gosh, I don't remember what the purpose was. Maybe it increased your networking fervor. All I know is, for a while there firewalking was very big -- it was on Phil Donahue -- and Anthony Robbins got into it on the ground floor. Now he's Mr. Success. The Peter Lowe's SUCCESS 1997 ad states that Robbins ``is the foremost authority on the psychology of personal performance and has been called one of the greatest influencers of his generation. He has challenged and inspired millions around the globe and has been adviser to President Clinton, royal families, numerous professional athletes and countless Fortune 500 organizations.''

Robbins sells a wide variety of Success Products, mostly audio- or videocassette sets such as ``Unlimited Power,'' ``Personal Power'' (I and II), ``Powertalk!,'' ``Unleash the Power Within,'' ``The Body You Deserve!'' and ``Get Rich in America.'' At Peter Lowe's SUCCESS 1997, you could buy two Anthony Robbins Success Products for $299, three for $429, four for $549 and five for $649.

Since I was already $114.64 in the hole, I decided to hold off on the Success Products for the time being. But I did pick up, for free, the notebook that accompanied the seminar. The cover was a big picture of Anthony Robbins, and the first page was a letter From the Desk of Anthony Robbins. It began, ``Dear Friend,'' and it said, in part:

``I have deep respect for you, for by your attendance today you've clearly demonstrated that you are an individual committed to Constant and Never-ending Improvement -- CANI! Let's make a joint commitment today to participate together with a new level of intensity and passion, one that goes far beyond anything we've done before. Through our playful, outrageous and passionate levels of energy, let's make this a day that truly makes a difference: one you will not soon forget.''

I should point out that, according to a notice on page 2 of the notebook CANI!(TM) is a trademark of Robbins Research International and may not be used without permission. That also goes for a number of other Robbins trademarks, including, but not limited to: Skills of Power(TM); Fear Into Power: The Firewalk Experience(TM); Certification: The Power of Choice(TM); The Psychology of Success Conditioning(TM); Neuro-Associative Conditioning(TM); Date With Destiny(TM); Financial Destiny(TM); The Power To Influence(TM); Unlimited Power(TM); Breakthrough To Synergy(TM); Mastery University(TM); ActiveLink(TM); EmpowerNet(TM); Anthony Robbins & Associates(TM); Anthony Robbins(TM); and Tony Robbins(TM).

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Ezra Klein says the same thing. I almost put the surface temperature difference in the equation, like body temp 98.6f vs skin temp 94f, but left it to Ezra. Coal temp 996f vs coal ash temp 296f. You can touch a 300 degree pan on your stove top and not get burned, just make it a quick touch, like the firewalkers plant their feet and lift them after less than a second. If you stand on coals, no matter how positive your thoughts are, skin still burns. You can kill the nerve endings so it doesn't hurt, but it still burns.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.